don't click here

Is there a simple SRAM hack for Sonic 1?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by vanfanel, Feb 21, 2023.

1. vanfanel

vanfanel

Hi there!

Tittle says it all. Is there a simple SRAM hack for Sonic 1 (MegaDrive)?

Ideally, for the Japanese version (which is a bit more polished with the moving clouds in GHZ, etc).

I know there are hacks that implement SRAM, but I only need SRAM and I like the game as it is.
    I also know about Sonic+, but that hack doesn't work on real hardware (it insa-freezes upon jumps or something like that).

Thanks!

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Did you search online to see if anything came up? Having had a look, there doesn’t appear to be one.

Sonic 1 is a short game so imagine no one has bothered to add SRAM saves to the game before, unless they were combining it with Sonic 2, for which there are hacks out there that do this.

This isn’t something that requires it’s own topic, you could have posted this in general questions and answers, or found somewhere in the fan gaming section, so I think it’s likely this will be trashed. In the meantime, I hope I’ve answered it for you :shobon:

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    No simple hack, but Sonic Forever is the closest thing you can get with the android version decomp. It's customizable enough to be very close to the original game depending on the settings used.

I know the retro engine won't do it for everyone, but you may want to at least try it.

4. vanfanel

vanfanel

I wouldn't say Sonic 1 (MD) is a short game.. zones are INMENSE, way bigger than in the 8bit (SMS/GG) version, and some zones like Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone take ages to complete...

That said, yes, I looked for a hack like this online and didn't find anything (except for Sonic+ which sounds ideal but is broken on real hardware, a pity...)

Yeah, well, I have built the decomp version on GNU/Linux on the Pi4, and since SDL2 has KMS/DRM support, I have it on a light system that boots in like 1 second, no X11 needed.
    But I was looking for something to play on real hw and FPGAs...

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sonic 1 is a game that can be completed with all emeralds between 45 minutes and an hour, they’re really not that big.

I recommend that you download Sonic Classic Heroes. You can play both Sonic 1 and 2 with save states, and you can choose to play with multiple characters or just select a character on their own to play through the games that are largely unchanged. There are multiple save slots too.

6. If you’re planning to play this hypothetical mod on original hardware, I assume you’re using a flash cart. Why not just use the save state features of the cart?

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

IIRC that’s only for the high end flash carts. I own an Everdrive X5 which doesn’t have that feature.

8. Ah, I see - my bad. I’ve only ever had the Mega SD which I bought as soon as I started playing on hardware again, so I’m not too familiar with other carts.

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Exists a guide for realization SRAM in Sonic 1. It's easy to make, but needs a lot of bugfixes (because SRAM will save also demo levels, and ending sequence as former level (that will be gliched and uncompletable), and also it doesn't saves emeralds, aaaaaand can has some problems with saving. (I got the bug, and now he's always saves on GHZ3, lmao), so yes. It needs some time).
    Also, easy to make bug fixes and bg parallax like in REV01.