don't click here

Is it possible to force my BIOS to allocate more RAM to on-board video

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by plushifoxed, Sep 1, 2011.

1. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Like the topic says, can it be done? Right now the BIOS on my motherboard only allows me to use 128MB maximum, which seems awfully low. I have 8GB of RAM in my computer, so I can spare a GB or two to be used as video RAM. Then again, I don't really know if adding more RAM would boost my video performance or what... I'm not sure how all of this works. Could someone help me out?
    CPU: i3 530 (2.93GHz, 2933 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    Motherboard: ASUS P7H55M Pro
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    First of all, it's possible the reason it imposes a limit of 128MB is because that's the maximum the integrated video hardware supports, and the BIOS definitely knows what's on the motherboard, so if I was you I wouldn't even bother trying... It doesn't do more than 128MB because it can't.

EDIT: also, assigning more RAM to on-board video may help the video drivers (and help you use higher resolutions), but otherwise it won't increase performance because you're forcing the CPU and the video hardware to share the same piece of memory, and they'll keep fighting over it. The only way to improve performance is to get separate video hardware if you really need it.

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    i3-530 has Intel's on-chip GPU, which dynamically allocates video memory as necessary. The 128 MB that's preallocated is simply a base allocation.

4. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Oh, okay! That works, then, I guess. I'll eventually pick up a decent video card, but I'm broke at the moment so...yeah. Thanks, though!