don't click here

Is anyone here bored and fluent in Japanese?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Nemesis, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
  2. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Yo. I'm pretty good, I'll give my try at it. BRB TRANSLATING

Blarg, never mind. My computer is getting too fucked up for me to do anything. Sorry. :[

3. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    On the first page of the pdf http://nemesis.hacking-cult.org/MegaDrive/...ion/YM2608J.PDF, where it reads:

YM2608
    OPNA
    アプリケーションマニュアル

The Japanese text translates as: Application Manual

And at the very bottom right (ヤマハ etc., translates as: Yahama, then the rest I don't know. I'll find out in a few ticks.

Not much, but it's a start.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Well, that's already more than I could get with the Google translator. :D

What I might do is pick out some "high priority" pages to get translated. The full document is 67 pages, and that's a lot of work. Being a technical manual, there are a lot of tables and diagrams and blank spaces, but it's still got a fair bit of text across those pages, and I've heard technical documentation can be some of the more difficult things to read and translate from Japanese. The pages which look most useful to me are the FM section of the manual, pages 15-36. I'd really like to know what's written in that section.

5. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    I can do that for you over the weekend, or however long it takes!

Carrying on with what I said before:
    Yeh(!) More than a few ticks, clearly(!)
    But anyway. I've managed to translate the entire ヤマハ抹式 会社 business; and it simply comes out as 'Yahama End Type Company'.

I have no idea what that means? But it probably does mean something.

6. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Thanks for taking this onboard. I might start breaking the document down, extracting images etc, in preparation for a transcription.

7. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    You're welcome. Hey! I've got study leave for the next week so I'm free all day, every day.

I think that would be best. I'll try to do around a page or two a day. I'll type the translations in MS Word and then convert them to a PDF - images included, of course!

If the translations are acceptable enough, should they be uploaded to the wiki?

8. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Well I think the main goal should be to create an offline PDF translation of the original manual which can be shared, distributed, printed, etc. There's no reason the information in this document couldn't be added to the wiki, but I think the initial translation should only be changing the language of the document, not messing with the formatting or structure of the document. A html conversion can come after the translation.

9. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Try this site for machine translation. It doesn't get EVERYTHING perfect, but it helps a hell of a lot better than pretty much any other online translator.
    http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/
    (英→日 = English to Japanese, likewise 日→英 = Japanese to English)

Also, for further help:
    http://nihongo.j-talk.com/parser/search/
    This site has the most complete Japanese-English dictionary I've ever found. Also, if you've got a strange kanji you can't figure, try out the Kanji Search page (I usually end up increasing my font size since kanji can be so complex and miniscule at the same time). For best results concerning the dictionary, I suggest that every check box in the options menu be checked and the results per page be extended to the 250 maximum.

I've used these sites for the past 3 years or so as my Japanese resources. They help tons. If you need any help with either site, don't hesitate to ask!

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I might have something backwards here, but "Yahama"? Shouldn't it be Yamaha...?

11. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Thanks for those links Soselocke. I'm having some success with the Adobe Acrobat OCR function and that Japanese translator. It's a lot better than the Google translator. Most things still come out fairly messed up, but I can often figure out what they're trying to say from context.

Yes.

12. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    No problem! :)

Yeah, if the translator doesn't give very much context, just use the dictionary site. If that still doesn't help, use the Kanji Dictionary function. Sometimes, seeing the main details of the individual kanji helps tie things together when nothing else can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.