Interesting 32X VHS

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    While searching for something almost completely unrelated in google images I accidentally came across this
    [​IMG]
    a promotional Mega Drive 32X VHS tape from France... apparently. Not sure what's on it... not even entirely sure if the thing is on YouTube. Sega have had a long history of releasing promotional videos before the console has been finalised, so it's not a new thing.

But look again. It's a European VHS and it's yellow

observe
    [​IMG]
    North America uses yellow packaging
    [​IMG]
    Japan uses yellow packaging
    [​IMG]
    even Brazil uses yellow packaging
    [​IMG]
    but Europe/Australia? Purple/black, which even though I think looks a bit nicer... doesn't match the set.

so I'm wondering... was it originally intended to have yellow everywhere? Or was the VHS just done on the cheap?

2. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    It could be this video:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YoQK3K1Nrq4&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YoQK3K1Nrq4&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Back in 1995 Electronic Boutique and Waldensoftware had a pre-order promotion for Virtua Fighter 32X. If you pre-ordered the game you got a 7-minute VHS tape with game hints and previews of upcoming games. A few of these upcoming games would turn out to be vaporware..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    <!--quoteo(post=448883:date=Apr 29 2010, 01:09 PM:name=Enzo Aquarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enzo Aquarius @ Apr 29 2010, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448883">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be this video:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except that's clearly for the American market, what with the ESRB ratings and the "Genesis" name

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=448888:date=Apr 29 2010, 11:18 AM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ Apr 29 2010, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448888">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=448883:date=Apr 29 2010, 01:09 PM:name=Enzo Aquarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enzo Aquarius @ Apr 29 2010, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448883">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be this video:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except that's clearly for the American market, what with the ESRB ratings and the "Genesis" name
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to mention it's a tape of Virtua Fighter, and the tape in the OP is supposed to have been before the 32X launch. VF wasn't announced till after the 32X launched.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    More than likely the tape design just had a random colour picked. Besides, it's not like the colour scheme hadn;t been used over here for general 32X promo anyway. Here's a picture I took in the mid 90s when Sega were doing promos for the 32X - and where I first got to play Sonic 3. =P

[​IMG]
    (Ignore the fact it's got a DSS head on it - right now I can't find the original.)

6. GoGoThursday

GoGoThursday

Perhaps it could be <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F96yVYxNWPI" target="_blank">this</a> 32X demo made by European developers Zyrinx. They were responsible for system-pushing games such as Sub-Terrania and Red Zone, although this material probably wouldn't be distributed on a promotional video.

You'd think it would contain a demo reel of launch games, but as mentioned before <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbALGUYtfM" target="_blank">some</a> were made exclusively for the American market and nowhere else.

7. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=448961:date=Apr 29 2010, 05:41 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Apr 29 2010, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448961">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

More like Sega's inaction, am I rite?

But on topic, any chance you can contact whoever is in charge of the site where you found that image?

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Unfortunately the image doesn't show the size of the reel, as the video has been rewound as much as possible, so I can't really make a prediction of what it is. Given the "Heart of the System" label and the quality of the video we already have I am placing my bets with Go Go Thursday and hoping that if we ever do get our hands on this and it does turn out to be the 3D demo, we could make a high quality rerecording.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    <div align='center'><!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Stg34toAKsA&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Stg34toAKsA&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJTQsogOEOA&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJTQsogOEOA&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--></div>

10. Overlord

Overlord

Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    OH GOD 90S DANCE MUSIC NOSTALGIA RUSH =D Sneaky how it covers the terrible music of Doom 32X, though. Why can't Sega make advertising as good as this any more?

I assume that's the contents of the tape?

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Heh, Sonic CD being shown with Sonic & knuckles music during a 32X advertisement.

It's like all the genesis machines having sex with one another.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    What zone is this? I cant tell. :(
    [​IMG]

After watching those, I really feel like playing Taz 2 and Aladdin.

13. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    It really looks like the start of Collision Chaos
    [​IMG]

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=453789:date=May 12 2010, 10:27 PM:name=Mr. Mash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Mash @ May 12 2010, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=453789">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really looks like the start of Quartz Quadrant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was going to say Collision Chaos, but I suppose it's hard to tell the difference at that quality.

15. Donnyku

Donnyku

yay Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Collusion Chaos Round 1

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    <!--quoteo(post=453790:date=May 12 2010, 10:28 PM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ May 12 2010, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=453790">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=453789:date=May 12 2010, 10:27 PM:name=Mr. Mash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Mash @ May 12 2010, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=453789">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really looks like the start of Quartz Quadrant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was going to say Collision Chaos, but I suppose it's hard to tell the difference at that quality.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did you like my quick edit once I realised I was thinking the wrong thing?

17. Overlord

Overlord

Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    Looks like footage from Sonic CD to me.

EDIT: ffffffffff ninja'd

18. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=453731:date=May 12 2010, 01:29 PM:name=Cooljerk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cooljerk @ May 12 2010, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=453731">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's like all the genesis machines having sex with one another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    [​IMG]

Sega Mega Orgy?

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=453613:date=May 12 2010, 11:58 AM:name=Scarred Sun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarred Sun @ May 12 2010, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=453613">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><div align='center'><!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJTQsogOEOA&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJTQsogOEOA&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--></div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blatant misuse of Jupiter from Holst's "The Planets"

It was really painfull to watch those videos. Sega thought they had to revolutionize EVERYTHING instead of improving upon existing ideas for once. Total mess. They should have just went from Genesis --> Saturn. Add-ons don't work if they are NOT properly supported!

/redundant

That video was interesting regardless.

20. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    <!--quoteo(post=455213:date=May 16 2010, 07:30 PM:name=XCubed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XCubed @ May 16 2010, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=455213">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was really painfull to watch those videos. Sega thought they had to revolutionize EVERYTHING instead of improving upon existing ideas for once. Total mess. They should have just went from Genesis --> Saturn. Add-ons don't work if they are NOT properly supported!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that's what Sega of Japan did. The 32X came about because SoJ and SoA weren't communicating, and the miscommunication led to Sega approving both ideas with the prospect of a quick buck. The Saturn was already out in Japan...