don't click here

In retrospect SA2's secret level is really bizarre.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Frostav, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    You literally wrote a long post complaining about how camera complaints are overblown. So I responded to it. Wouldn't have written it otherwise.

In regards to your OP, I just don't have much to say. Sorry.

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Even the level design philosophy feels like a fangame level in all the worst ways.

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    That's because there isn't a level design philosophy. It's just a remake of green hill 1 in 3D.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I always thought the biggest issue with GHZ was how visually jarring it is it is. When you're a kid it looks sick, but when you pay any attention to detail at all you see the..... well, let's start with that skybox, which looks like they literally just took a screenshot of Sonic 1's background and had it drawn and quartered. Poor thing. The checkerboard pattern is super tiny and you can see a lot of seams where the pattern gets interrupted or cut off. The S-tube makes almost no sense in 3D, but I think they just put it in there for the sake of making a faithful adaptation of the original. It's just very weird.

And then you have things like the dancing sunflowers, the badniks, the spikes, and other things that are adapted very well. It's just such a mixed bag, and it gets weirder the longer you look at it.

The gameplay itself feels fine to me and I enjoy "speedrunning" it, I think they've got some bright ideas in there but it definitely seems like it was thrown together pretty quickly just for the sake of it. I agree the level design definitely has some potential, there's a lot of little skips and tricks you can do in there purely because they can separate its multiple paths on a 3D plane. It's very short for the amount of work it takes to actually unlock it, but then again... most people who 100% SA2 are just in it for the glory, and some dope Black Market unlockables.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  5. Garth

Garth

Annoyingly, GHZ and the dark chao garden are 2 parts of SA2 that I still have not played to this day.

GHZ always seemed too far away (180 emblems!) and I literally only found out there was a dark chao garden within the last year.

6. Frostav

Frostav

Most fangames have better level design than anything Sonic Team has made since SA1, so if you were trying to epic dunk on me somehow then

just

lmao

like damn, I sure wish these games had SRB2 or Sonic GT levels of quality in their level design

incredible self-own with this post, bravo *golf clap*

(this thread has shown me that this forum, for all of its pretensions of being "the Smart Sonic Fan Community", really just wants to do nothing but tirelessly re-litigate the same arguments over and over again with absolutely no new ideas brought to the table. Disappointing, but predictable. Attempt to bring up something new and the peanut gallery cries for the same old)

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I found Green Hill in SA2 kinda off-putting for two reasons. First, it looked so awkward, fake and sterile. Simply putting the original GHZ background on a flat mesh didn't make it feel like the original level brought into 3d; it instead made me feel like I was in some studio with a backdrop. Add to that the fact that the level was basically a corridor in the middle of a void. I know that when I played Sonic 1, I didn't picture GHZ like that.

But more than anything, I found it off-putting because it showcased the limitations of the SA2 engine and its dumbed-down physics system. The iconic loop-de-loop was now an automated set piece. They were able to recreate the famous "roll down an S-tunnel and take a ramp that sends you into the sky" section, but only by replacing the ramp with an automated jump plate. And of course, the tunnel was also automated -- no matter how fast you went before entering it, you always slid down it at the same speed. There was a point in which you could run down a hill ending on a non-jump plate ramp, but doing so only sends you a few meters into the air, and you can't roll on the way down.

It's kinda funny. They added the level to invoke nostalgia, and it succeeded, but not in the way they intended. It made me nostalgic for the original games by reminding me of everything we lost in the transition to 3d.

I feel Generations' Green Hill was a much more successful recreation. Not only did it actually update and adapt the visuals for 3d (rather than simply copypasting the old graphics onto boxes and meshes), but its layout was designed around the engine, rather than trying to force the original layout into a game it wasn't made for.

FWIW I agree about those two particular fangames having having more interesting level design than the official 3d games.

8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    If you think this behavior is helping the forum, or endearing anyone to engage in a way that you feel they haven't, reconsider.

9. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    For the record...I was not disparaging all fangames. I said "in the worst ways". If GHZ was well-designed, I might've said "in the best ways" since there are for-sure some very well-designed Sonic fangames.

What I was trying to say is it feels like some kid messing around with Roblox or Dreams attempted to translate a 2D Sonic level to 3D.

10. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    It's more a bonus for the completionist that may or may not feel the effort was ever worth it. I did A-Rank it after unlocking it for the hell of it because why not? Sonic Adventure 2's Green Hill is a bit interesting but at the same time not exactly worth stressing yourself in trying to experience it if you're not that into the game or a completionist in any way. Sonic Generation's 3D Green Hill is a lot better.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    @Frostav you are one of my favourite members on Retro. Just thought I might as well say that. I like your posts because they are very different from everyone else and while I usually don't agree with anything you say (lol) I think you have an important role here in giving a different view.

So don't be disparaged from not posting. It probably sucks to post a thread like this and then everyone disagrees. Lol. But I still enjoy reading it.

But yeah, probably best for us all to chill sometimes. Lol.

12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Hey, for what it's worth, I don't think anyone is trying to dunk on you, really. Some posts may come across as cold or dismissive, but I'm sure the attitude isn't directed at you, but at the matter at hand. I know it feels horrible to bring up a detail you've been thinking about, only to have the issue talked about in a way you weren't expecting. And I know it's sometimes not easy to believe it's not directed at you, as a person.

So all I can say is that everyone posts for different reasons and in different ways, and people aren't really trying to own you in any way. The discussion you brought is interesting, and you're a cherished member of the community.

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    My turn.

Good old Frostav, overly dramatic and sarcastic, we were missing you! Seriously, I'm with Laura, you're necessary and appreciated, and while you're more moderated behaviour lately is better for a forum, these occasions tell us when you're really invested in what you're saying and we should put more effort to get your point. While the way you replied might be inappropiate, I'm a bit with you in what you're saying. You're loving something and people pops the balloon by paying more attention to the raw topic than what you were trying to share (if that makes sense). I understand you got pissed off by that, so I'll try to improve my previous reply to make you know my POV isn't that far from yours.

For starters, I felt the glimpse you talked about when I played that level. As you also said, it's not that you find it perfect, just that there's more of what you want from a 3D Sonic game in that design, and I felt that too, albeit really rough for the effort invested in unlocking it, hence why I said it should have been unlocked earlier (same goes for SADX extras and base Chao Gardens, Sonic Team were a bit sadistic back then). The failures (plenty of them) where there, and they indeed should have done a better job with the graphics, but it didn't look (keyword: look, not play) that different from Sonic X-Treme levels. I guess they run out of time to finish it. I think everything that gives you options of exploring or go crazy is good, and surely that's not how they designed 3D Sonic games most of the time.

But it's also true that oversized platforms and pits show how rough and automated were the physics in that game, so I'm not surprised other people saw just the issues. Don't be angry with them, they're just not noticing you in fact want the same they do and that, judging by that single level, there could have been hope for all of us getting a better 3D Sonic in later games if they followed that path. The worrying thing, though, is all that people that make 3D fangames and don't get it either.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think Green Hill Zone in SA2 is pretty comparable to a fangame like Utopia or Green Hill Paradise. It's a nice little novelty and a neat experiment to see how 3D Sonic would work if you just copied and pasted (in this case) the level design of the classics, much like how a lot of fangames try to recreate the physics of the classics. The problem is that's all it really is: a novelty. It wouldn't work if that mentality was applied to a full Sonic game, in my opinion.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    As is, of course. Those fangames and that rendition share that trait, but Frostav wanted us to look a bit further.

16. Frostav

Frostav

I've calmed down now. I'm autistic that's why I'm a Sonic fan and have ADHD so I do have anger issues and poor social skills.

As I said, this was a super off the cuff thread. I wanted to start a new chao garden but the sheer grind my old one took left me spacing out and I just randomly wanted to play a level, but I didn't feel like playing one of the super linear regular Sonic/Shadow stages so my hands absent-mindedly took me to the GHZ1 secret. I fully admit that I didn't get all the emblems--I never have, way too much grind, my current Steam save has 125. I just have the mod manager with the "every level unlocked code" because I don't really care to 100% the game. So I don't have the "...oh, that's it?" feeling people who actually suffered through getting every emblem had.

I played through the level once and was like "huh, that was kinda fun". When pretty much every hedgehog level in SA2 is an intentionally extremely linear hallway of setpieces, it sticks out really far. I thought "man, i wish some of the main levels tried to have multiple paths like this" and made this topic on a whim, because I barely see anyone discuss this level besides retrospectives where they go "...and you get a GHZ1 remake for all emblems! That's Kinda Neatâ„¢, I guess?"

The other two levels I have played since then are City Escape and Final Rush. The differences are striking. Even Final Rush, Sonic's last stage, is such a suffocatingly narrow level at all times (despite being in space) of rails leading to small platforms leading to rails that the GHZ1 secret sticks out even more.

It is such a novel, weird level I can't stop thinking about. It shows that SA2's engine doesn't immediately break if the game isn't funneling you down a hallway. It's remarkably functional, which only makes SA2's suffocating linearity feel a bit needless. It has actual platforming, not much, but still way more than I remember any main level having, even Final Rush/Chase.

I don't actually replay SA2 that much. I know everything in this game. The setpieces don't wow me anymore. But I keep randomly loading the game and playing this level because it's fun! It's fun to control SA2 Sonic in a level that isn't so needlessly corralled! It's fun to jump on platforms instead of navigate hallways filled with rails, dash pads, and automated setpieces! I wish these games were like...platformers again? I consider SA1's Sonic levels more fun than 2's for the same reason, levels like Red Mountain and Sky Deck feel more like actual platforming through worlds.

17. Taylor

Taylor

I do get where Frostav is coming from wrt GHZ's level design. It can be pretty fun, but the camera issues are definitely real and might be why SEGA generally avoided making levels like that for SA2. Some developers think its better to play it safe than to try something more ambitious and getting criticized for it.

As for why they didn't do so for later games when the camera controls got better? I think just inertia. SA2 was popular and many Nintendo fans first exposure to Sonic, so might as well continue with how it approached level design. Not to mention, Heroes kinda inherently relies on more linear design because of its beat em up elements.

18. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Green Hill definitely does stand out among SA2 levels. Its segments lack that feeling of copypaste that most of the levels in the game had. It manages to feel even more artificial due to its boxiness and weird skybox, though.
    Having more-natural environments, with more in the way of unique setpieces and terrain, really made SA1's level design memorable to me. I loved the way that game would use 3D space, and it was often in ways that no other game in the series would really try.

19. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I don't know if you guys will agree with me or feel the same way, but a catch that SA2's GHZ seems to have is that it "solves" the main problem of 3D (orientation, more than camera) by making you always look down. The level feels more awkward the more you're looking and going up, not only because you lose any reference and sight of the ground and potential pits, but also because they seemed to place the next section of the level on a lower ground than the previous one. It feels like you're always in descending motion, ultimately.

Which is also bizarre, and a feature that the original doesn't have, but it makes sense. Left and right stop being absolute references in 3D, but up and down don't, so the orientation becomes "when in doubt, go down".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. MH MD

MH MD

Guess who learned about Dark Chao garden Just now