don't click here

I'm trying to learn some of this hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spexfox, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, obviously you guys are a large comunity of Sonic game hackers. I want to try and see if I can learn this stuff. (I already understand it slightly.) So I wanted to ask what tools you guys use and where can I download them?

2. Chronix

Chronix

I tried to learn hacking a while ago but what with html xhtml css and now java script in my head I got confussed.
    try www.shacnet.com they have good beginners stuff.

3. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Well there's ESE and SonED to edit levels and palletes. ESE has a checksum checker and and you can edit level names and other junk. There's Sonik Sprite to edit sprites, and there are hex editting programs out there too. You could find most of your programs at sonicology (I think).

4. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Wish someone would make something easier than SSE....

5. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Your best bet is to use a hex editor like Hex Workshop. You can do things with hex editing and knowledge of 68k ASM that you can't even DREAM of doing in a utility like ESE or SonED.

6. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    It should be easier to change level names and you can even make your own fake company (Tails Inc. lives!), right?

7. Hey, I had hacked S2B! OK, accually, I just put random hex code somehwere in the middile of the exsisting code and every so often the game will freez, the music will still play, and the top qaurter of the screen have pixels off from their posisions randomly. Something I wanted to ask though, is that GCZ has the hex address 0E right. But how do you know what is part of GCZ, when the hex value 0E appears hundreds of time in the game's code?!

8. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It's not so simple as that. The ROM is split into defined blocks which we know have different functions. Look on Nemesis' site.

9. I know that. It's no where near that simple. I'm just saying that I managed to glitch up the game a little. Nothing a 2 year old can't do.

10. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    Hehe, XHTML 1.0 Strict, CSS, and java script are my specialty :D. I haven't tried ROM hacking yet. But I decypher password systems and crack save files. Genesis programming is pretty ancient in what we can compare it with. I've worked with DOS batch files. I know nothing about Assembly but I'm guessing it's similar and consists of mainly IFs and goto commands as well as whatever internal functions the Genesis has predefined to handle stuff like vram, etc.

11. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Assembly code when referred to here is the standard programming language of the Motorola 68000 processor (which is why it is referred to as 68k ASM).

There are many commands, and I suggest you read the tutorial topic on Sonic Cult to start learning it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.