don't click here

If Tails were to get his own 3D game, what should it be like?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Mar 23, 2020.

1. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Granted, Luigi DID have his own games during the height of the war between Nintendo and Sega, but whereas he got his own series in the 3D era with the Luigi's Mansion games, Tails hasn't had one game starring him since Tails Adventure. Let alone in the Modern era.

So if Tails were to get his own game today, what should it be like? Should be a platformer like Tails Adventure? Or should it be a radical departure like Luigi's Mansion?

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The real question is whether you’re an ‘on rails person’ or a ‘free roam person’, but I dunno, man, Tails hasn’t done anything noteworthy in years. Now before anyone says Star Fox or Pilotwings – No, I think I’d rather like a NiGHTS 3D, tbh. ^^ But just for shits and giggles, I’d love to see Tails make an appearance in such games like Ace Attorney or Katamari. Or Undertale, while we’re at it.

Edit:
    I've got an idea. Give Tails a keyblade.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  3. Pengi

Pengi

Out of the three Tails games, Tails Adventures is the one that most resonates with the fan base. The basic formula could be adapted to 3D, maybe with some open world and crafting elements implemented, to better fit modern tastes. A Chao Garden wouldn’t feel out of place either, they could add a system where you can take one on your adventure as a companion.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Like Sonic Chronicles, where they provide added benefits to taking them out with you, I assume?

5. Pengi

Pengi

Yeah, there should be a gameplay benefit to them, which differs according to their type.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Or how you raise them, mix in a bit of Sonic Adventure to the system.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'd say combine the premise of Tails Adventure with the big open levels of Mario 64 and the crafting of Minecraft, and you'd have a great game. That'd give you tons of freedom to just play at your own pace.

8. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

A while ago I had the idea for a Tails game that would be one half high speed SA1 platforming, and the other half rail shooting in the Tornado in the style of After Burner Climax. Your performance in the platform stages would win you parts and weapons for your plane.

9. Pengi

Pengi

Yeah. Like Sonic Adventure, but you can take one along as a companion, instead of Chao Races. And you’d collect Chao raising items and materials that can be crafted into Chao raising items in the main adventure. The Chao Garden concept fits into the gameplay loops of an item collecting adventure game better than it does the core 3D Sonic games, which are more about replaying levels to get a high score or fastest time.

10. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    honestly, i don't know if i want tails to have a separate game per se or just be playable in a standard game. it would be really interesting to have sonic still have the fast paced and addictive, if slightly shallow, boost gameplay, but then have tails take a somewhat slower tack. not sonic 06 slow, because even if he can't boost he *can* pretty much match sonic's speed as seen in adventure. having tails kind of have a medium-high speed style of gameplay where he can fly around, look for alternate paths in a level, fight different robots with stuff like his tail swipe and the dummy ring bomb, maybe find materials and food to bring back to an upgraded chao garden... i think that would be an interesting way to utilize his abilities.

either way, anything is better than him just sitting around cracking wise at sonic to the point that they both just sound sarcastic and as though they kind of genuinely hate each other.

11. How about a game that mixes the best of Sonic Adventure and SA2? Have like scouting missions for Tails where he has to fly around, scope out the danger, and collect ammo/whatever. Then he gets to back with his Tornado mech and blow everything to bits.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That sounds more like a Robotnik game.

13. Roebloz

Roebloz

I would LOVE something like Tails Adventure but 3D instead. Sega had got a good concept there, and they could turn it into something very good in 3D, I imagine something not that fast paced unlike the main Sonic titles, basically an exploration game and it would have some sections where you need to use Tails's flying ability. I definitely think we need a "Tails Adventure: Return of the Battle Kukku Empire" game in my opinion.

14. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I think a game with a gameplay like After Burner Climax, but using the Tornado is something I thought some time ago.

15. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Something tells me that if this game was a departure from the Sonic series' formula akin to Luigi's Mansion, there would be an emphasis on crafting and puzzle solving.

16. True, and it would probably be recieved better as an Eggman game. I still love the Tails missions in SA2 though, possibly more than the still-very fun Sonic-clone in SA.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Fly around in circles chasing own pair of tails in three Dee!! You can play this forever and ever and ever....

18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Sonic Adventure Tails levels but without the racing aspect. Get to the end goal running, spinning, and flying around destroying robots spamming the b button. Also for the lulz bring back that necklace powerup he had in SA1.

and also, add Sonic and Knuckles as playable characters who control like they did in the Adventure games and retain their SA2 move set.

so basically, Sonic Adventure 3, but try and pass it off as a Tails spinoff so no one will get mad if it flops

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It would be neat if they could dedicate whole levels to this instead of just copypasting Sonic levels. Tail Swipe -> Spinning Attack -> Propeller Flying - if you hold down the B button long enough, he will lift off from the ground :V Performing this technique while running at full speed would result in Tails flying like a frisbee

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Tails Adventure but using a similar setup to the sonic adventure games, just more refined.