If Sega only cared about pandering to YOU, what kind of Sonic game would they make?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Josh, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

My name's Martin Member
    I also think it's like this, to give quite particular approaches instead of vague or generic opinions. The "girls only" and the metroidvania approaches are a good example, but is in cases like the two quoted below where we see what I'd wish everyone did, albeit in more traditional approaches, which is why I'm gonna answer them particularly:

Smash Bros is already a 2D platformer, not so noticeable if you're just fighting in final destination but clearly in the alternate mode with levels. Why not go the opposite way instead and make a classic Sonic game with beat'em up elements? (but not boring long fights like in Sonic Heroes)

I had something like this in mind, but, linking with the above example, this could be done in a 2D platformer to keep the Sonic feel by making it an action RPG, just think about Wonder Boy/Monster World (or Zelda II for NES) and go a step further with a Sonic game (that's at least what I've had in mind in recent years), or you can do it like Terranigma, an action RPG where I was constantly running, jumping and attacking at some decent speed, quite like what you do playing as Sonic in Smash Bros but from the usual top-down perspective of SNES RPGs.

To answer directly to the topics title, it would be any game I've thinking of making myself but haven't because I'm alone in that, so essentially the game I would make if I worked at sega, had freedom to do anything and a team following my command. I have a bit of everything, including that RPG-like classic title with its various character classes and approaches to lead or support roles that keeps the traditional single button gameplay but adds optional buttons to do more varied stuff like having an Advance Amy or a Cocoa Island Tails playstyle, allow elemental shields skills for everyone and for different situations, etc. I in fact had planned a joke trailer for that game that aligns well with the "girls only" concept, though the only girls there are Amy and Omelette (the fake title was "Amy Boom: Rise of Omelette" XD).

Well, from a less "Me, me, me!" approach and a more specific one, I'd like a game that expands the lore of the mystic elements of Sonic's world, but those tied more clearly to the gameplay. For example, Chaos and the other monsters of the week no, but the Phantom Ruby would be a yes because it's another mysterious jewel, and previous mysterious jewels affect gameplay and the ending you get; the Phantom Ruby doesn't make the cut because it's a plot-only mcguffin, but they could right that wrong in the next game. Think about the Chaos Rings from Chaotix, for example: while they are still chaos things like the emeralds, and they're still giant rings even if they're not made of gold, the fact that chaos energy crystallized into that shape gives further importance to both of those things and ties them more, making the classic lore stronger with that small detail. I liked that potential plot for Xtreme where the Boobowskys were a lineage of ring forgers too.

From a gameplay perspective, a "game" that periodically got additional campaigns, being more like an engine and a menu where you choose the campaign (full game) you want to play would be interesting. A Sonic "Steam" of sorts, but with all games sharing the same engine so engine updates happen for all of them and not just the latest one published, yet they don't have to make the code time and again, just have a devkit for designing levels and cutscenes. In other words, sort of what the community already does with ROM hacks and Mania mods but on the official side of things. It would be too much for a Super Sonic Maker but easy to work with for Sega devs.

And yes, I'm talking from a classic perspective because I don't know what to ask in 3D, which is good because 3D Sonic is varied, but also bad because they usually botch even the best concepts. I might be able to answer the next year after trying Frontiers.

I'ts even more metal if it's raining axes in the bad future. \m/ //-_-\\ \m/

2. Strife

Strife

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Having the option to play through the whole game as Tails without ever being required to switch to another character. Or Blaze.

That's all. :)

3. shilz

shilz

Aquatic Base
    Whatever I don't lose interest in.
    Think Subspace but with just a little more Sonic flair. Enough to differentiate the two but not enough that you couldn't jump to it immediately after playing Smash.
    It's not a classic sonic game both because I don't think that would be able to deliver on all the fronts I'd want it to and because there are influences taken from it anyways. So maybe everyone is just able to roll in some manner, and force built up from it will impact damage done to characters or enemies when they collide.
    Since the game is structured around combat anyways, there's not much reason to worry about fights going on too long, because you'll be going at it different ways.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

My name's Martin Member
    It's still subspace? I didn't use that name because I thought they changed it in each game, and I haven't played a smash since brawl where it was subspace emissary, but that's the mode I was referring to, it was a platformer in its own right. What I was suggesting was that or freedom planet but less deviated from the standard classic formula and with RPG elements so it would fit both of your suggestions in a single game (you could have duels). As I said, I had that concept in mind already and even noticed it could be adapted to become a 2D version of PSO, for example (2D PSO with a classic Sonic engine is also on my wishlist. :rolleyes:).

5. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

mighty is my son. thanks Member
    It is still Subspace in that no Smash game since Brawl has attempted a game mode like Subspace, which is an understandable thing to miss if you haven't played those games and haven't been around conversations on them.

6. shilz

shilz

Aquatic Base
    Whatever I don't lose interest in.
    The closest we got to it was in the 3ds version of 4 where there was a mode called Smash Run that had you battling enemies seperately from 3 other players or computers while collecting stat bonuses for 5 minutes and then competing in a random final battle that could be as simple as a timed battle or as wild as racing in a smaller platformer challenge.
    In all honesty I'd like to have something like that too just because it's easy to pour a lot of time in.
    The stuff they put in its place on the Wii U and Switch could just never compete, because they really wouldn't let it (but also probably because testing something like it for every character would be a nightmare)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 8:08 AM
  7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

My name's Martin Member
    Oh, I thought they made a new adventure of that kind for each game even if it was shorter or clunkier.

Back on topic, I forgot I also wanted a Sonic game that plays like Jet Set Radio, something that could in fact habe been a proper kind of open world with Sonic, if you ask me. Just having an environment (and engine) made for grinding, wall-running, etc. and with a flowing level design to enjoy all of that would be amazing.

8. Micheal Anthony

Micheal Anthony

der Bär Member
    Another idea I'd like to toy around with is procedurally generated levels or level chunks played out Mario 35 style with the last remaining player winning.