don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think we're starting to get enough information that we can open this thread. Here's what we have so far:

- Many Archie Sonic veterans are coming back, including Ian Flynn, Tracey Yardley, Tyson Hesse, and Evan Stanley
    - No confirmation of the fates of the SatAM characters yet, but all non SatAM Archie characters have been scrapped
    - We have these images so far:

Tyson Hesse promo art (not a cover)
    [​IMG]

Tracey Yardley 1st issue cover
    [​IMG]

1/19 - 5 days character reveal art drawn by Evan Stanley
    [​IMG]

I'm curious what the fates are for the neglected Sega characters like Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean, and Bark are. Think they'll show up in some way in this new comic?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2022
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Aww sweet, I didn't know Evan was back. That's good, I think her style is great and I like her fancomic.

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yup. Seems about the right time for this sort of thread. Looking forward to seeing how the comic kicks off it's first issue. Not too long to go now!

4. Pengi

Pengi

http://ew.com/books/2018/01/22/sonic-hedgehog-comics-idw/

A new artist announced - Nathalie Fourdraine. Very nice cover.

The April solicitations are due this week.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Whoops, ninja'd. But ok good to know, solicits next week.

[​IMG]

Here's another swanky 1st issue cover variant done by Nathalie Fourdraine. Also this may be the first look at what the logo for the comic's going to be. Makes sense, it's the official series logo these days so I'm not surprised. Archie's Sonic logo was actually based off the Sonic logo used in the Adventure era.

Also couple notable things from that article. Tracey Yardley will be illustrating the first issue of the comic, and three other artists will be illustrating the other 3 issues. Afterwards each issue will be rotated to various art teams. The first four issues will be mostly revolving around Sonic's main friends but will be introducing new characters along the way (So issue 1 will revolve around Tails and then issues 2 - 4 will cover Knuckles, Amy, and someone else they haven't mentioned yet. Since the qualifications seems to be long time ally and popular I'm going to guess Shadow).

It'll be interesting to see what Flynn does with a completely fresh base. We had a taste of that in the soft reboot but now it's all up in the open. Should be interesting.

EDIT: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeQ3LJMH_IL/

Oh nice, the Sonic logo completely covers up Eggman. I had no idea he was there :v:

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

The announcement promo art was just promo art, not a cover.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Directly from the source even! Thanks for that I'll update the original post.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ew, stock logos. I wish they would've created their own, Always did like Archie's version of the logo.

I hope future issue covers design around the stock logo if it's going to be used.

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    [​IMG]

Yeeeeah it looks like things might be a little more familiar than I thought

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Sad thing is I'm only watching to see if Penders tries to do something stupid.

Might as well give it a read when the first issue drops. Should make for some fun light reading.

11. Vangar

Vangar

I'm hoping for something with some substance, like SATAM era. This won't be like this though will it, I'm just setting myself up for disappointment?

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, did anything else Ian ever wrote for the comics resonate with you in that way? I always thought it had more weight to it, and I honestly don't see any reason to believe that the new comics won't follow suit, no matter which characters they're using.

13. Personally hoping this is a new character and not a Freedom Fighter, honestly. I wouldn't mind if the Freedom Fighters were reintroduced in some form down the line a bit, but I don't want this comic to just be Archie Sonic 3.0.

That cover is very nice, though.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I agree with that. Honestly my dream would be some crazy composite world between the Archie, Fleetway and manga canons (edit: fuck it throw the aliens from Sonic X in there too why not), but it still needs to start with adaptations of the game stories, and maybe only introduce the extracanonical content between those.

15. I could never get into the Archie comics (StC for me all the way!) but always loved the artwork. I would be quite interested in picking these up now it's starting from a clean slate, does anyone know if these will be available in the UK or if you just be order online?

Sorry if that's a really stupid question! I haven't bought a comic since StC and I had a quick look around IDW's site and places like Forbidden Planet but I couldn't seem to find a subscription or anything like that, I'm assuming it's still a bit early.

16. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Man I am hyped for these comics! I know that we're able to preorder volume 1 on Amazon right now, but I think I'm going to buy a subscription to the comics instead.
    Any word on when we can do so? I'm assuming once it gets closer to April IDW will add them to their website. Also Amy looks freaking awesome!

18. Pengi

Pengi

Pretty sure IDW doesn't offer a subscription service. Set up a standing order with your nearest comic shop.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That stock logo is so fugly but man they are nailing it in the art department so far. Great stuff.

Also it's kinda interesting to see this stuff in contrast to what we had from Archie. Like Archie never tried that pastel painted style before, in fact they might not have even allowed it it might have been too off brand. I look froward to seeing what kinds of liberties IDW is allowed to take with the series.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    [​IMG]

Oops