don't click here

I would like to ask...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Quickman, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    ...all those people who hex-edit to make hacks: What the hell? I mean, why would you sit there for hours on end in a hemihypnotic state traipsing through tables of numbers to edit the 256x256 mappings in a level? Surely for such things as that a program such as ESE (or perhaps the standalone level editor from ESE) would be a far better alternative?

Also, if Ezrael is such a god at ROM hacking (given that Labyrinth Zone Act 2 on his hack was absolutely freaking impossible) why did he release ESE? Surely a better alternative would be to teach people how to hex-edit if hex-editing is such a godly alternative?

2. I dunno WTF you are talking about LOL but I im trying my best to learn how to make hacks and those programs are slightly helping me *newbie*

3. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    You can't put everything in a program that you can do via hex editing. Besides, hex editing is really quite simple once you get the hang of it. Also, no one ever said that hex editing is a lot better than programs, as the programs can speed things up, like you say. But hacks can be much more thorough if a hex editor is used to change what people have not put in a program. Also, for one thing, it's Esrael, and he is one of the best hackers ever. He made that program to help other hackers work faster and more efficently, so stop getting so mad about this.

4. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    The programs, although easy to use, are limited. If you use the programs only, your hack would be very basic -- it would blend in with the rest of the one million hacks out there. You need to do something unique to define your own hack.

Kind of like asking why learn cooking when there is microwave food.

5. Kampfer

Kampfer

I agree, programs are meant to speed things up and avoid errors. Besides the people who made the programs had to have an extensive knowledge about hex editong to even make them (those programs just didn't fall from the sky). The best is to know hex editing and use programs for the menial crap. (Don't get me wrong though, when people talk hex talk, I don't know half the s*** they are talking about.

6. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Change the bit at 02334722 from F6 to 93 and then the bit at address 3336627 from FF to 8A and see the incredible amazing awesome ultimate. effect!!!!!!! *Murdered*

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I use hex to do things that tools cannot. It's good to learn hex so you can add special things to your hack that make it more rememberable.

8. Mecha Mazgoth

Mecha Mazgoth

Unleash thy fury. Banned
    Bowels of Hell!!!!
    Super Sonic part1: The Beginning
    Why do people do that? Because it is somthing they want to do, and they don't give a damn that idiotic peopple *wink,wink* may think that is nothing but bull.

9. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    Hex can do anything. And when you know how certain file formats work, you may even make a program to do the work for you. For example, I wrote my Tails Adventures Password Generator as I went along. I had no time to do the calculations myself nor to rely on the chance that I could make a mistake. Take things like a calculator into mind. That's a useful invention / program isn't it? If you know exactly what you're doing and are very specific with it, a program could easily handle it the same way, and faster too. I'm sure Esreal and the other creators of such editors fullfilled their purpose for the time they made it. And there isn't ever a real substitute for a hex editor when new things are found and must be patched or modified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.