don't click here

I present to you a real (IMO) challenge.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Travelsonic, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Ok, this idea seems very diffucult, but I think it's worth a try.

It is partially common knowledge that Dance Dance Revolution arcade games will boot up in a Playstation system, but give you errors because it can't find most of the extra hardware, including the security cartridge casette. This is because the Bemani System573 Analog and Digital hardware runs on PS1 based hardware up until DDR EXTREME.

Theoretically, it is possible to hack the game top a degree to make it run on a PSX, though in a very unstable way. My challenge to you is to find the game, hack it (disassembling may very well be vital to this challenge, documenting something I don't think anybody has documented before can aso be achieved) to get around the hardware errors.

This would include potentially fabricating new data to make up for the security cartridge check also incorporating the cart data (I am looking for the security cart for the dumped DDR mixes), and utilizing Bemani573 hardware emulation, which may or may not be the hardest part since the only place this is achieved, though imperfectly is in MAME (vital since some of the hardware does in fact assist in the sounds and music of thease BEMANI tm games.), but whether or not we should use the code from the 1.0110u2 build and whether or not we can make it work are other questions.

DDR 1st Mix, 2nd Mix, 3rd Mix, USA, and SOLO Bass MAME CHDs are floating around, and I am still trying to extract the original files from the CHD files, it would certainly save us the trouble of having to look for the arcade disks online since the only place I found requires a $200USD minimum order to order anything online.

I realize tht I may not have information here 100% accurate, and I am even more aware that this is a VERY VERY DAUNTING task, but I think this would count as a real test of skill and know-how. I got laughed off when I presented people with this idea before, but I post it here since I think people here in general are just a little bit more open towards this working on this kind of hacking endeavor.

It may be hard, it may take a lot of time, but I think we should just try it, and see how far we can get.

2. Vangar

Vangar

Waaay too hard when you can easily play the songs using stepmania, but it would be cool to see.

3. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

The whole point is to test hacking skill, and endeavor in new areas of hax. :P

4. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Hah. I would love to see the result. :P

5. Vangar

Vangar

It would result in the need for extra hardware modified to the playstation, and chips we cant possibly develop, followed by some funky dancemat/controller hybrid to work with the extra buttons on the machine. I don't think its possible without chip coding and flashing and who knows what else.

6. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Ahahaha. It would take forever to do all that. You'll also need 100 spare PSX's :P

7. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Well, System573 Analog IS emulated in MAME to a degree with DDR 1st, 1.5, 2nd Link, and DS feat. True Kiss Destination being playable. I knew it would be diffucult, but at the same time I thought that somehow incorporating the stuff already had in terms of MAME emulation code, and also strapping on a disassembly of the security cartridge would help, using similar logic as that used in adding new levels to Sonic 2 - granted they are completely different (DDR & Sonic 2).

Thn again, I think it would also be good to still carry out disassemblies of the files in the CHDs for the purpose of documenting.

I think the naysaying here at least in part comes from the fact that the Bemani573 hardware is not like anything dealt with here before, and what we'd expect is not very known. Think about it like when people first started hacking and emulating/modifying other systems where knowledge and technical workarounds weren't available... only trying will make any real test as to whether or not it is possible.

8. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    true... (Pun intended)

But we're gonna have to get someone who knows about this kinda stuff.