don't click here

I like Sonic 4.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Winins, Dec 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winins

Winins

Amplitude Enthusiast Member
    This forum is going to hunt me down for this, but I love Sonic 4. Possibly nostalgia plays a role in it, considering I grew up with this game. But before you ask "have you even played the classics lol" I did. I played the classics alongside 4. I always play the classics alongside 4. To my child mind, there was no difference between them. Today? I can tell the problems, but that doesn't prevent me from having fun and liking the game. Yes, the Spin Dash is weak, but the Air Dash/Homing attack makes up for it. It works well in 2D and I would like it to appear again. I also love the tag team combos in Ep.2, it is a pretty good touch, even though it does need getting used to.

Yes, Sonic 4 isn't the best game in the franchise (my favorite is 3K), but it needs more love and acceptance in my opinion.

2. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    If you enjoy the game that's totally great! Personally I was eventually disappointed, especially considering the emotional, drawn-out rollercoaster that was this game's reveal and eventual release, but it's an okay 2D Sonic in its own right. It just really didn't need to be called 'Sonic 4'.

Also Mad Gear's music still slaps

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    aight

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    It's been years since I played Sonic 4 and I don't plan on going back anytime soon but you know what, I had fun with Episode II back when that came out.

It's the name Sonic 4 that really pissed people off, I think. Coupled with the most agonizing marketing campaign ever.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  5. corneliab

corneliab

I did enjoy these games at the time, but my standards were in the toilet and I knew that even then. If you were a Sonic fan that loved the originals you pretty much had to do that to enjoy Sonic 4 since these games are obviously bad facsimiles of the classics. Very obviously.

You may somehow still love Sonic 4, but it's unearned since the games were made with little care or even awareness of what made the classic games good. It was a very cynical project all the way down to its origins as an unrelated mobile game. There is no rational reason at all for people to come around to Sonic 4, especially post-Mania.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    inb4 this thread becomes “Bashing/Complimenting Sonic 4”

7. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I was a kid when Sonic 4 came out. I played it at the time and thought it was awful.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I think I'm one of the few who thought Ep1 was better than Ep2. But that isn't exactly an accolade, it was still total shit.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Okay.

10. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Even putting aside whatever merits the game may have had for anyone who happened to be in the right place to enjoy it, we can say with what we know now that the whole thing was tainted from the outset with the "Project Needlemouse" name. That just set the tone for the naked, artless capitalisation on the franchise's legacy that it became.

Maybe things would be different if it was just kept as a mobile game and then only brought up retrospectively as a novelty like the i-mode titles, I dunno.

11. Wraith

Wraith

Yeah

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    god I feel so old

13. MH MD

MH MD

I also like Sonic 4 -episode 2-

episode 1 was dreadful tho, it's 100% rehash, which is insane when you think about it, they even had the gall to call it different names, there was some good music tho

episode 2 was huge improvement to me tho, actually liked that one, still isn't worthy of "Sonic 4" name but it was fun

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ep 1 was meh. Ep 2 was actually good, with creative and varied level design, better physics, great bosses, nice graphics (Sylvania Castle was gorgeous, not to mention it actually had good music) and interesting mechanics (best use of team abilities out of any Sonic game so far).

They should have called it something else, though. By calling it Sonic 4 they set themselves up for failure. That title should have been reserved for a proper, full-fledged S3K followup.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I loved 2016's Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Didn't care much for 2010's Sonic the Portable, though.

That said, you like what you like, and there's nothing wrong with that.

16. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    I'd like to give an honorable mention to this particular song from Episode 2:

It's one of my favorite pieces of music from this series, ever. I remember just standing in the level just to listen to it, the first time I'd heard it.

I also think this is a fun version of Stardust Speedway Bad Future. Love that overt bass!

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've never thought Sonic 4 was a terrible game. It's an average platformer with poor controls. It's slightly below average in general then, but I think the music is good (albeit terribly produced) and I liked the aesthetic of Episode 2. The final boss of Episode 2 is also one of the better ones in the entire series.

On the topic of the OST, my favourite songs from Sonic 4 are probably Sky Fortress Act Two and Three.

I think the game can be viewed a bit differently nowadays because of the fact Mania exists and Sonic 4 is never going to be continued at this point (even spiritually). It was an okay game which had its moments. I've never thought it was absolutely appalling like everyone else.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I don't like how the musics sound too.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Just FYI, several months back there was a slew of threads arguing the merits of every individual game. The mods deleted them all for clogging up the forum. Don't be surprised if this thread disappears for similar reasons.

20. I distinctly remember having a great time with Episode 1 on release, sinking many joyful hours into it. I did find the final boss to be annoying though. I wasn't thrilled with Episode 2 at all, especially due to the forced partner gimmicks. I revisited them within the past year and determined that I no longer find either entry to be remotely enjoyable anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.