don't click here

I found my old Palm Zire! Now what?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Techokami, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    As I was rooting around my stuff this evening, I dug out my old Palm Zire. As in, the original Zire. Running a 16MHz Motorola DragonBall EZ processor with a whopping 2MB RAM, and a 160x160px grayscale LCD touchscreen. It's old as hell.
    It looks like this
    Now what should I do with it? Is there some sort of viable hack I can do to make this thing useful again? Is there some cool software I can run? Custom firmware hacks? Or should I try selling it?

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Your kidding the processor is really called "DragonBall"? lol weird. :v:

Try a google search maybe looking around will give you some ideas.

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Yes, it's a real processor name. Based on the m68k, too!

I did. Why do you think I'm asking people here?

4. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
  5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Fuck yes oldschool palm. I highly suggest you go find the game Space Trader, that shit is the most addictive game ever. It's like drug wars but you're a space pirate instead and you can buy several different types of ships. I love to save up enough money for a big well armed ship and just go around being a tool blowing up the cops and shit.

As for firmware hacks, I don't know of any non-arm open source Linux ports, but there was an illegal port a few years back, think it was called LinuxDA or something. They never complied with the GPL as far as I know, but it was some pretty cool tech. They actually sold Palm clones based on that OS for a time, but at one point they had a version you could download from their site that ran on the Palm III. I think that would probably work on your Zire if you can find it. It was based on Linux but looked and felt similar to Palm OS, and ran a bit faster. It even had native support for Palm apps, supposedly.

6. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Install Linux on it