don't click here

How you would have made a Sonic RPG

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan the Game Master

Ryan the Game Master

USA
    Concept: "Mobius" (site), Project: "Shadow" (script), "Sonic Fighting Game" (movesets and dialogue)
    I think BioWare had a good thing going with Chronicles. The DS, however, did a bang up job at holding it back from what it could've been.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    <!--quoteo(post=448618:date=Apr 28 2010, 02:03 PM:name=Ryan the Game Master)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryan the Game Master @ Apr 28 2010, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448618">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think BioWare had a good thing going with Chronicles. The DS, however, did a bang up job at holding it back from what it could've been.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How in the world was it the DS's fault for a repetitive (in a bad way) gimmick battle system, a terrible story, ear piercing audio and aside from the backgrounds, terrible visuals?

All the other RPGs seem to have little to no problem with the hardware.

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzr2C7GotBU&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzr2C7GotBU&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--><!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOCBfnRqXW0&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOCBfnRqXW0&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2--><!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Z1IQMGza94&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Z1IQMGza94&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Chronicles was hardly revolutionary in the genre. There's nothing about the concept that made the DS its crutch, it was the execution of the idea that made it a bad game.

3. Well, the announcement of Nintendos 3DS, which according to Nintendo, may have 128-bit graphics ala the GameCube.
    I doubt this, but if it is true, I think there will be more to work with.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

<!--quoteo(post=448618:date=Apr 28 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Ryan the Game Master)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryan the Game Master @ Apr 28 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448618">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think BioWare had a good thing going with Chronicles. The DS, however, did a bang up job at holding it back from what it could've been.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As said Chronicles failed in places where most Sonic games, higher console or not also fallen (eg. corny dialogue with bland or 'Flanderized' characterizations in story, short and repetitive gameplay and overdependence on an undeveloped gimmick). The graphics weren't awful but the previous handhelds had done a much better job in terms of merging 3D and 2D. The sound and music was for the most part, just, AWFUL, not just because of the MIDI quality (which could have by all means added a charm to it) the remixes are completely tone-deaf (I point to All Stars Racing for impressive examples of Sonic remixes on the DS).

As Chimpo pointed out, it was a good concept executed horribly. And the fact that Bioware and fans alike go on about how the game 'fixed' elements of the series and was a return to Sonic's 'Golden Age' only makes me resent the wasted chunk of plastic even more.

5. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    The plot and the characterisations were not of the calibre you would generally expect from Bioware, but I'm bemused by anyone who argues that they were worse than usual in a Sonic game. Adventures 1 and 2 are the only games that ever really had characterisation or development in them; everything else is "Super Power Of Teamwork" / "I Kill You Black Doom" / "OMG Your My Best0rz Friendz0rz Chip". Here we got Rouge being sassy, Amy deploying 'subtle trickery' rather than "Marry me Sonic baka hammer", Knuckles actually giving a shit about the Master Emerald, and Eggman being a magnificent backstabbing bastard.
    And OK, Archie's space echidnas were a bit out-of-left-field, but I'll take them if they come with SWATbots and Doctor Robotnik - which they do. Explaining the Gizoids by letting the Dark <strike>Legion</strike> Brotherhood become canon immigrants isn't "Extremely forced references to previous material" in my book; it's killing two birds with one stone and a neat bit of creative continuity. :colbert:

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Hey, I don't hate Archie stuff because it's Archie, I hate it because it reminds me of something out of the Dune prequels. (Just like Archie)

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

<!--quoteo(post=448693:date=Apr 29 2010, 12:33 AM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Apr 29 2010, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448693">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey, I don't hate Archie stuff because it's Archie, I hate it because it reminds me of something out of the Dune prequels. (Just like Archie)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "If you saw Kevin J. Anderson staggering down the street bleeding, what would you do?"

A. Rush to help
    B. Call an ambulance
    C. Reload

Correct answer: C.

(Still, much as I disdain said prequals, I don't get what similarities you see. Or are you just pissed every time you read the word "Ix"?)

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Essentially, it's the same type of genre fiction as just about every other crappy science fiction story. The Echidnas might as well be the Thinking Machines, the Psyclos, or the Kricket from some kind of terrible parallel universe where the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy took itself seriously.

And why is there even a sci fi storyline in a Sonic game?

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    <!--quoteo(post=448697:date=Apr 28 2010, 04:58 PM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Apr 28 2010, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448697">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Essentially, it's the same type of genre fiction as just about every other crappy science fiction story. The Echidnas might as well be the Thinking Machines, the Psyclos, or the Kricket from some kind of terrible parallel universe where the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy took itself seriously.

And why is there even a sci fi storyline in a Sonic game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought that robotic armies, gigantic space stations, lasers that could blow up planets, aliens, and space/time travel were all Science Fiction. :v:

Then again those are all only sci-fi elements.

10. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

<!--quoteo(post=448697:date=Apr 29 2010, 12:58 AM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Apr 29 2010, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448697">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And why is there even a sci fi storyline in a Sonic game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's true enough.

On the one hand, if they're going to introduce a new villainous entity into the games, better it be one from the other Sonic continuities than another Monster of the Week they plucked out of their ass. On the other hand, we really didn't need VoxaiZoahN'rrgalKron.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

<!--quoteo(post=448689:date=Apr 28 2010, 06:18 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Apr 28 2010, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448689">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The plot and the characterisations were not of the calibre you would generally expect from Bioware, but I'm bemused by anyone who argues that they were worse than usual in a Sonic game. Adventures 1 and 2 are the only games that ever really had characterisation or development in them; everything else is "Super Power Of Teamwork" / "I Kill You Black Doom" / "OMG Your My Best0rz Friendz0rz Chip". Here we got Rouge being sassy, Amy deploying 'subtle trickery' rather than "Marry me Sonic baka hammer", Knuckles actually giving a shit about the Master Emerald, and Eggman being a magnificent backstabbing bastard.
    And OK, Archie's space echidnas were a bit out-of-left-field, but I'll take them if they come with SWATbots and Doctor Robotnik - which they do. Explaining the Gizoids by letting the Dark <strike>Legion</strike> Brotherhood become canon immigrants isn't "Extremely forced references to previous material" in my book; it's killing two birds with one stone and a neat bit of creative continuity. :colbert:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rouge being sassy was okay if her entire character wasn't narrowed down to a Deadpan Snarker.

I personally don't mind Amy's interaction with Sonic (even in other games it wasn't that bad as of recently) it's just her interaction with others that makes her one-note, in other titles she at least had a bubbly or aggressive persona to make her interactions unique, in Chronicles almost any conversation she has outside Sonic seems kinda generic 'let' go team' banter.

Using Knuckles' background and original role was a good idea, but as said it was handled badly and didn't give nearly enough emotional development to the character (he didn't have much of a unique interaction with Shade, who herself was horrifically bland, and didn't really any spotlight when he supposedly loses the remainder of his people near the end). Personality wise, they just flanderized him the opposite way than before and made him a 'Shadow 2.0'. Knux is a neat character when balanced with both serious and comical aspects, I just wish developers would stop appealing to one extreme or the other so much.

Eggman steered too much into goody goody territory akin to Sonic X, while the ending made up for it, it supposedly won't lead to much since the sequel is cancelled.

The other characters are mostly flanderized into one-note characters that at least had some amount of extra facets beforehand (eg. Big going from dopey yet kind natured hermit to babbling retard with no conscious knowledge of what's going on around him).

The SwatBots were brutally deformed to the point they may as well have been named something else while Robotnik has been used in a few odd games as much as Chronicles (which still refers to him dominantly as Eggman). The Gizoid concept wasn't bad but was executed in an iffy manner with Knuckles somehow remembering a huge amount of echidna history he was oblivious to before. By forced references I mean Family Guy-esque references to past games like 'remember the time Eggman captured all our friends and we had to stop him in Green Hill' or something along that line.

Other games have refered to past media like Green Hill, Chilli Dogs and the name Robotnik, mostly in a more subtle manner that fits into the game more, so it seems little new came from this game. Other games have certainly made terrible mistakes (though personally I liked Chip's story and thought Unleashed was one of few recent games to handle the characters well), but unlike Chronicles, few fans think they are masterpieces despite or even because of it's flaws. It's arguably as enjoyable as a standard Sonic game of it's 'dark' era but the fans and Bioware's boasting of it being way above anything of Sonic Team's standard just makes me kinda bitter about it.

12. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I would've simply made a game similar to Sonic 3D Blast/Labyrinth, only with added dialogue, shops, different playable characters, and a battle system similar to that of Paper Mario. This is what I originally thought Chronicles was going to be like.

Basically, instead of smashing enemies live, when you run into them you get thrust into battle and the other enemies appear like in any other RPG and you'd get various button/touch-timing prompts for each attack like in Paper Mario. You can collect rings in the stage or from battles to use in shops to buy various items. Just keep it simple... That's all there is to it. The storyline doesn't even have to be anything that major - there are plenty of RPGs out there that get away with having a simple storyline and are still very enjoyable. So I guess, replace pure hearts with Chaos Emeralds and there you have it. Sonic RPG in a nutshell. Only difference from S3DB is the zones would all be interwoven, of course. Maybe you can use Tails' plane or something to get to each area faster.

Or perhaps sometimes you collect parts from Badniks that Tails can use in seperate vehicles, and then vehicle minigames ala Sky Chase/Sonic Rush Adventure? There's so many better ways they could have gone about it and it doesn't even take much thought at all.

EDIT: Oh, and music that isn't atrocious.

13. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

<!--quoteo(post=448701:date=Apr 29 2010, 01:15 AM:name=E-122-Psi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Apr 29 2010, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448701">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally don't mind Amy's interaction with Sonic (even in other games it wasn't that bad as of recently) it's just her interaction with others that makes her one-note, in other titles she at least had a bubbly or aggressive persona to make her interactions unique, in Chronicles almost any conversation she has outside Sonic seems kinda generic 'let' go team' banter.

Using Knuckles' background and original role was a good idea, but as said it was handled badly and didn't give nearly enough emotional development to the character (he didn't have much of a unique interaction with Shade, who herself was horrifically bland, and didn't really any spotlight when he supposedly loses the remainder of his people near the end). Personality wise, they just flanderized him the opposite way than before and made him a 'Shadow 2.0'.

Eggman steered too much into goody goody territory akin to Sonic X, while the ending made up for it, it supposedly won't lead to much since the sequel is cancelled.

The other characters are mostly flanderized into one-note characters that at least had some amount of extra facets beforehand (eg. Big going from dopey yet kind natured hermit to babbling retard with no conscious knowledge of what's going on around him).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can't help but think you're giving previous games far more credit than they deserve in the story department. The positives you've described are largely fanon accoutrements that have adhered to grusomely barebones in-game characterisation. The best example I can bring from those above is Big. Where in the story of SA1 does it say he is a dopey yet kind-natured hermit? Big in SA1 is a hurr-durr fatass with a fishing minigame, the retardedness of his voice matched only by the retardedness of his gameplay. You could just as easily have inferred him to be a <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightyGlacier" target="_blank">Mighty Glacier man</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FriendToAllLivingThings" target="_blank">Animal Whisperer</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FishingForSole" target="_blank">Mr. Fishing</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InHarmonyWithNature" target="_blank">Nature Cat</a> - or, as Bioware did, as <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive" target="_blank">Too Dumb To Live</a> - rather than deciding that your <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentleGiant" target="_blank">Gentle Giant</a> conception articulated above should be an attribute that gets developed. SA1 and Heroes gave you a cat in a swamp with a fishing rod, who teams up with Amy and Cream for reasons unexplained. THAT'S IT. Babbling retard Big is no less legitimised by previous games than Kind 'n' Dopey Big - and in fact I would say oblivious retard is rather more in keeping with his previous appearences ("FWOGGY!", attacks Chaos 6 with a fishing rod).

As for the others:

* Since when does Amy interact with other characters outside of Chronicles anyway? A saccharine parroting of Maria's words to Shadow in SA2 followed by one scene in Heroes where she's a bitch to Vector? In Chronicles she actually deploys a caring attitude towards Sonic of the "I don't want you to get hurt" variety, compared to her previous bipolar vacillation between wistful pining when he's not around (Adventure 1, Heroes, 06) and possessive smashy psychopath when he is (Adventure 1, Heroes, Riders).

* As for your complaints about Knuckles, I'll merely point to his very existence in '06 and dare you to claim that Chronicles was a step backwards. He's SUPPOSED to be fixated on the gem, anyway. It is his ancestral duty.

* Eggman gets beaten up by Charmy Bee in Sonic Heroes and ends both Heroes AND Shadow by tring to tiptoe away from a celebrating crowd of heroes. In Riders he just falls over inside Babylon Garden and no-one cares about his eventual fate at all. He has not been painted as a credible villain for some time, so why his (feigned!) goodly froliking should concern you in Chronicles more I do not know.

My circuitously-made point is that the scripts in previous games have, by and large, been shit. You seem determined to see and celebrate multifaceted characterisation that isn't actually there within previous games, while rubbishing all the characterisation that actually explicitly IS there in Chronicles.

Y u do dis?

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

<!--quoteo(post=448721:date=Apr 28 2010, 09:28 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Apr 28 2010, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448721">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=448701:date=Apr 29 2010, 01:15 AM:name=E-122-Psi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ Apr 29 2010, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=448701">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally don't mind Amy's interaction with Sonic (even in other games it wasn't that bad as of recently) it's just her interaction with others that makes her one-note, in other titles she at least had a bubbly or aggressive persona to make her interactions unique, in Chronicles almost any conversation she has outside Sonic seems kinda generic 'let' go team' banter.

Using Knuckles' background and original role was a good idea, but as said it was handled badly and didn't give nearly enough emotional development to the character (he didn't have much of a unique interaction with Shade, who herself was horrifically bland, and didn't really any spotlight when he supposedly loses the remainder of his people near the end). Personality wise, they just flanderized him the opposite way than before and made him a 'Shadow 2.0'.

The other characters are mostly flanderized into one-note characters that at least had some amount of extra facets beforehand (eg. Big going from dopey yet kind natured hermit to babbling retard with no conscious knowledge of what's going on around him).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can't help but think you're giving previous games far more credit than they deserve in the story department. The positives you've described are largely fanon accoutrements that have adhered to grusomely barebones in-game characterisation. The best example I can bring from those above is Big. Where in the story of SA1 does it say he is a dopey yet kind-natured hermit? Big in SA1 is a hurr-durr fatass with a fishing minigame, the retardedness of his voice matched only by the retardedness of his gameplay. You could just as easily have inferred him to be a <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightyGlacier" target="_blank">Mighty Glacier man</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FriendToAllLivingThings" target="_blank">Animal Whisperer</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FishingForSole" target="_blank">Mr. Fishing</a> or <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InHarmonyWithNature" target="_blank">Nature Cat</a> - or, as Bioware did, as <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive" target="_blank">Too Dumb To Live</a> - rather than deciding that your <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentleGiant" target="_blank">Gentle Giant</a> conception articulated above should be an attribute that gets developed. SA1 and Heroes gave you a cat in a swamp with a fishing rod, who teams up with Amy and Cream for reasons unexplained. THAT'S IT. Babbling retard Big is no less legitimised by previous games than Kind 'n' Dopey Big - and in fact I would say oblivious retard is rather more in keeping with his previous appearences ("FWOGGY!", attacks Chaos 6 with a fishing rod).

As for the others:

* Since when does Amy interact with other characters outside of Chronicles anyway? A saccharine parroting of Maria's words to Shadow in SA2 followed by one scene in Heroes where she's a bitch to Vector? In Chronicles she actually deploys a caring attitude towards Sonic of the "I don't want you to get hurt" variety, compared to her previous bipolar vacillation between wistful pining when he's not around (Adventure 1, Heroes, 06) and possessive smashy psychopath when he is (Adventure 1, Heroes, Riders).

* As for your complaints about Knuckles, I'll merely point to his very existence in '06 and dare you to claim that Chronicles was a step backwards. He's SUPPOSED to be fixated on the gem, anyway. It is his ancestral duty.

* Eggman gets beaten up by Charmy Bee in Sonic Heroes and ends both Heroes AND Shadow by tring to tiptoe away from a celebrating crowd of heroes. In Riders he just falls over inside Babylon Garden and no-one cares about his eventual fate at all. He has not been painted as a credible villain for some time, so why his (feigned!) goodly froliking should concern you in Chronicles more I do not know.

My circuitously-made point is that the scripts in previous games have, by and large, been shit. You seem determined to see and celebrate multifaceted characterisation that isn't actually there within previous games, while rubbishing all the characterisation that actually explicitly IS there in Chronicles.

Y u do dis?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't say it was, I merely said Chronicles was hardly any better, yet is treated as such.

Big in Adventure and Heroes has at least basic amount of intelligence and sentience, yes he yells 'Froggy' A LOT but he converses and even philosophises with others and to himself (I dunno anyone who would bother to save us both). As for kindness, his protective banter of Cream in Heroes I think qualifies (particularly in the start of Mystic Mansion). In Chronicles he mostly just babbles random nonsense.

Or her sympathetic tone towards Gamma and Birdie/Lily in SA1? Or her pep talk to her teammates in Heroes? (which is at least done in her somewhat bubbly childish mannerisms her usual character qualifies for). Next Gen also gives some philosophising into her connection with Sonic and to what lengths she would support him. Yes the manic stalking is tedious at times but I don't think 'faking a boyfriend' is THAT big a step down from, it is kinda but not that much.

Next Gen was bad with a lot of characters, Knuckles has been in a downward spiral as of recently but Chronicles being better but still poorly done doesn't make his development gold.

In Unleashed Eggman was somewhat formidable and at least held on to his villain persona until the end of the game. Yes he got usurped by the token monster of the day AGAIN, but it's a step from being usurped before he even got started like in Next Gen and Chronicles. Again Chronicles is better than a lot of attempts but still poor.

Most other characters were just as bland or one dimentional as in previous titles (ironically some have been improving in other games since then, eg. Sonic), Tails' bland techno geek persona was rised to Wesley status with his deux ex machina gadgets he conviniently had, Cream was just in the background really and Omega was a parody of another series (though admitedly had more a unique characterization than Next Gen and Shadow) while Shadow was just stoic angry guy #23445.

They even took to the games' usual development with their new additions, Shade (perhaps THE dullest character I've seen in the franchise yet) was the 'token stoic jerkass that tries to murder the heroes until she 'changes her mind' and is a buddy-buddy hero in the end despite it clashing with her previous motives and characterization' that they seem to make for every title, Ix is the one dimentional monster that usurps Eggman. They didn't bother to really develop any other Nocturnus members outside of that so we don't really sympathize with them when they are doomed to the Cage in the end. Some alien members and other extras have neat characterization, but in the end they are extras and weren't the ones in need of characterization anyway.

My point is I don't think the modern games are perfect, some are outright crap, I just don't think Chronicles is an exception, I just don't see where it suddenly rises above all the other mediocre titles in quality of story and characterization. There are some parts where it is better, but that still doesn't make it good quality, in others it is actually worse.

What is even more annoying is that Chronicles actually had a decent concept for the story in comparison to flops like Shadow and Next Gen, but they still managed to screw it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.