don't click here

How you would have made a Sonic RPG

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Then you clearly don't own the game. There's a pretty complex character customization system outside of the battles. Have you ever had to adjust equipment and optimize your stats in a Dragonball Z game? Or use an item creation system? If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that it's actually balanced mix, with a lot of gameplay elements being implemented in the spirit of Ye Olde Fashioned level grinding that's been in place ever since the first Dragon Quest. And if you're getting hung up on the fact that all battles in Dissidia are 1 on 1, then your shortsightedness betrays you. Do you know how easy it would be to take the source code for a game like this and reprogram it to put more fighters in one battle?

What annoys me even more is that you think a Sonic RPG needs to be more like a classic turn-based RPG than an action-game/RPG hybrid. As someone who actually owns the game, I can tell you that Dissidia possesses the template for which a Sonic RPG could be built off, to be considered an RPG while still encompassing what makes Sonic Sonic.

Now shut it.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Sonic shouldn't even be in an RPG setting. It only works with Mario because Mario itself isn't as heavily reliant on speed. Chronicles, as much as people keep wanting to tell themselves it wasn't a bad game, was deplorable.

But, if you people MUST bicker over an RPG battle system for this, Dissidia is not the way to go as it is pretty much like DBZ, only with a thousand times more pointless item grinding... trademark of any JRPG:

Sure, why not. (Caution: If you hate JPop and constant Japanese yapping, mute the audio. The video's the important part.)

Pretty much, controls are similar to Smash Bros. in that you tilt the control stick in one direction (or not at all) to change the special attack used. Here, the person is showing off what happens when you form some more advanced combos. Fights are in large circular arenas, akin to SA1's bosses.

I still think Sonic in RPGs is a horrible idea, though.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Start from scratch in an alternate timeline, with elements from the original game mixed in with later things. You know, the whole Mega Man/MegaMan.EXE Time Split.

4. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Not true, the american continuity of Sonic was embodied in SatAM and AoStH. While I'd argue against AoStH being a coherent RPG (besides maybe the time travel episodes), SatAM has plenty of plotline, character development and historical references to make into a fantastic RPG (ala Sonic Mars or the fangame Sonic Epoch). It may not be the global interpretation of Sonic the Hedgehog that emerged with Sonic Adventure 1, but it WOULD be a fun RPG.

EDIT: Forgot Sonic Underground, that would actually work as well.

5. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I don't own the game, but there is a very complex character customization system in a number of Dragon Ball Z fighting games, ranging as far back as Final Bout for the playstation to games as recent as... pretty much all fifty thousand Budokai games. Complete with level grinding in some of them too! So... yeaaaaaah. Your point is lost.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. If you'd read my posts, you would have realized that I said an action RPG would be a better direction. I simply said turn based was doable without compromising the theme.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Ok, Now you've pointed this comment directly at me: The fewer things in this world that are like FF: Dissidia, the better.

7. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    I do actually agree a Dissidia or a faster KH2 kind of battle system would work for a Sonic RPG, but I don't think it would fit classic Sonic. I mean, would flashy as shit battles with fire and meteors being chucked all over the place, casually slicing through skyscrapers, floaty air combos that rack up hits by the second, the satisfaction of completely fucking up everything with a face that crosses your path—oh, who am I kidding. Bring on Sonic Hearts.

8. ShadowDog

ShadowDog

How would I make a Sonic RPG? I'd focus on the plot, screw the other ROG conventions. Basically take Sonic Battle, make the battles occur less often, and make the battles indistinguishable from opening up Kega and playing a Sonic 1/2/S3K rom then returning to the game. What it would rely on would not be customization or party formations or item creation systems (though Summon Night: Swordcraft Story's swordcrafting was awesome. SN:SS2's was meh). It would use platforming instead of battles. Not only that, maybe you're Knuckles and Robotnik's chasing you and you need to get to the end without getting killed. Maybe you're Sonic and you need to get from point A to point B before time runs out.

That's what I'm doing. I was playing Sonic Battle, and realized it really felt like an RPG. That got me to thinking about making a Sonic RPG. I didn't know about Sonic Chronicles. I decided to make it a sequel to Sonic Battle and to give you choices on how the plot goes. Then I heard about Sonic Chronicles by Bioware and about it's Gizoids. @_@ Anyway, I continued on. I know have a cutscene engine and modified Gens that reads a new opcode. The opcode does nothing, yet, but soon it will write wether you won or lost the level to a file and exit Gens. Problem is I need to come up with a decent plot. I have the beginning. I have a couple of other ideas for branching options. I have nothing other than that. Anyone have any good sources for Sonic plots?

9. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Plot? Plot?! By jove, plot?

Sonic's first real RPG by Bioware had plot and no one liked it. I'm not trying to shoot down your idea by saying "It was tried before and it didn't work", but chances are that people are going to be real split over what they think is an appropriate plot. Or they won't want a plot at all.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I don't think that Chronicles is a good example, what with its plot's similarity to Archie's nonsensical fanfic-esque style.

11. ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Well, S3K had a plot. It wasn't an RPG, but it had a good plot. Sonic Battle, in my opinion, had a good plot, too (Your Mileage May Vary), and it was a fighting game. I agree with yourpoinr of at least half of everyone unconditionally hating the plot, however.

12. tonic41

tonic41

Sonic game code name? sonic classic
    the only thing I found bad about the game is that it was to short. I mean in most rpgs the characters levels at the last boss is near level 76-95, but no they make it so you can beat the game at level 15.

but sill ill make an rpg verion of sonic 1-3 &knuckles and CD and maybe put some segasonic and/or knuckles game... as side storys aka a reson to put mighty in it. ^-^

13. I know this isn't how I would want to make a sonic RPG...

but right now I'm picturing a 2D sonic game that you run through normally (like EHZ), but whenever you hit a badnik, you jump into a turn based battle. and if you win, you go back to the level with the badnik defeated. But if you lose, the badnik is still there but you just lost all your rings.

it'd be horribly retarded because every two seconds your fast pace game would be inturrupted with annoying battles.

maybe your hp would be directly influenced by how many rings you picked up during the level (50 rings, 50 hp), and monitors are element based attacks you can accumulate throught the game. Emeralds are like materia (from FFVII), and the whole game game engine would be a retarded cluster-fuck.

maybe though, a 2D side-scrolling overworld wouldn't be such a bad idea if.... wait... I think it's just a bad idea. lol.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
  15. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    ENGLISH
    Sonic the Hedgehog RPG: The Search for Eggman's Balls

JAPANESE / ???
    ???????????????????????????
    ??

Sonic and his friends are vacationing on Angel Island when suddenly Dr. Eggman's Egg Carrier appears! However, Eggman is not here for a fight... instead, he asks for Sonic's help in retrieving his missing testicles. At first, Sonic is uninterested, but Eggman reveals that the whole problem started because of a supposed ritual gone awry. Dr. Eggman was planning to awaken the ancient god Kronus from the Chaos Dimension to help him conquer the planet; however, inadvertently, Eggman's balls fused with two Chaos Emeralds and were lost to the Chaos Dimension... presumably in the possession of Kronus and his minions. Now, Sonic and his friends (Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Blaze, Big, E-123 Omega, Cream, Espio, Vector and Charmy) temporarily join forces with Dr. Eggman to venture into the unknown Chaos Dimension and retrieve his Emerald-infused huevos... but how long can Eggman stay on hormone therapy before things get fucked up beyond all repair!?

COMING 2010...

© 2009 Sega Corporation - BioWare. All rights reserved.

16. Anyone else excited?

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    The gameplay of Sonic 1-3K (IE sidescrolling levels, pinball physics, item monitors, rings, lamp/star posts, special stages, chaos emeralds, super transformations, 1 follower) mixed with the RPG elements of Tails Adventures (IE back tracking, overworld, inventory).

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The sad thing is Chronicles' plot had all the potential to appeal and be enjoyable, but it was done in such a hollow manner and had most of the same flaws and clitches as previous titles:

* Extremely forced references to previous material; check.
    * Unbalanced development with cheesy one liners and characters that exist more as props; check.
    * Developing and 'maturing' characters being counted as robbing them of all their flaws and interesting qualities (eg. Amy and Tails); check.
    * Clitched bland 'stoic' anti hero jerkass who teams up near the end of the game; check.
    * Repetitive gameplay that revolves to much on a gimmick that isn't expanded enough; check.
    * Boring 'real' villain in place of Eggman with none of the latter's charm and depth; check.
    * Billions of unused chances for actual development in potential plotline; check.

It was annoying since while the Sonic Team games are often merely making the best from a bad concept to begin with, Bioware had a potentially good concept and still turned it into mush.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I agree, besides, apart from some of the badniks and a slightly similar event of missing echidnas, Sonic Chronicles wasn't in any way 'fanfic-ish'. It just built up on the previous games stories, and we got to see the different side of some of the characters. Eggman was expanded upon as the ultimate liar yet again, and we saw a bit more of the motives and interactions between characters too. I like Chronicles as almost as much as I liked Sonic Battle, which is a lot. That said, Chronicles fell short because of a repetitive and basic battle system, and the stylus control didn't really do it for me either, the reason I avoid the DS Zelda games. I also thought the music could have been a bit more Sonic-y, but in some places it could be very dull.

20. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Time for a controversial gameplay mechanic suggestion: Stamina, a single gauge replacing both HP and MP.

There is no HP system in this game, at least not in the traditional sense. 1 successful hit on you means you die (unless you have a ring or shield). HOWEVER, when an attack enters the collision sphere around a character, that character will automatically relocate to a safe area, consuming Stamina. The more difficult the attack is to dodge and the lower the character's agility, the more Stamina it takes. When the character has no Stamina remaining, the next attack will connect with and KO him. Additionally, Stamina can also be consumed to perform abilities. This makes spamming powerful attacks a bad strategy, as it means you have less Stamina to avoid attacks.

For the player, Stamina will fulfill the function of HP and MP in traditional role-playing games, as each enemy attack does a predetermined amount of "damage" to Stamina, and successful dodges are not left up to chance. The big reason for implementing it is because it is a decidedly more Sonic-like approach to an HP/MP system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.