don't click here

How you would have made a Sonic RPG

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    I wont lie. I hated Sonic Chronicles. It is shit. Plain as day, utter fanwanking, shallow, character derailing, best friends treating Sonic like shit, asinine half finished shell of a game.

If I had made a Sonic RPG, I would have done it differently. I'd probably use a battle system similar to a cross between TWEWY and the Mega Man Battle Network series, and most importantly I'd handle the issue of a plot.

What Bioware did? Nothing but shallow catering to the Retro fans that give a bad name to the Retro fans. That first line in the game that was basically "HAY SONIK 'MEMBER GREEN HILL LOL"? I...I can't even call that a reference. That was just dickery. If I made the plot, It would have been something that involves introspective on the main characters personality. Like I said way back in the Unleashed topic, I believe Sonic's original dream was to live life without anything tying him down, but as he made more and more friends, he started to become unsure as to whether or not leading a drifter's life was wise. Of course, any continuity nods made would be in the style of Taranea, an amazing Sonicfic writer on FF.net that everyone should go check out right now.

Seriously.

Conversely, I have had an idea on how Eggman could become a credible villain without going the GRRR SATAM IS BEST SONIC route. It involves him uncovering the ruins of some great Mechanical Civilization that holds the "Crown of the Machine King," something that gives Eggman complete control of any machine just by willing it. However, it slowly drives him off the deep end, illustrated in an animated cutscene where the Gear on The Machine Crown starts turning...Only the placement of the gear on the actual crown implies that it's turning through his skull and brain.

Also, Sonic needs forms. I don't care how, but forms just have to be part of the game for it to be awesome.

2. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I know my post is gonna sound shallow and unimaginative, but I have to be completely honest:
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars with Sonic characters and themes, that's essentially all I want.

You know Mario's fireball attack in that game, where you have to repeatedly press a button to throw fireballs? Imagine you're playing as Sonic instead, and that attack is the Spindash; you'd be pressing a button as quickly and as much as possible within a certain time frame to rev up the attack. Oh and Mario's multiple jumps? With Sonic, instead, you'd be timing Homing Attacks to hit enemies in succession and the timing would get harder and harder, just like when you've done many jumps in Mario RPG.

I don't mind RPGs, but unless they're ACTION RPGs, they generally don't retain my attention; Mario RPG's interactive attack and defense system is one of the only RPGs to have entertained me so much.

EDIT: Or a LOS said right below this post, a Mario & Luigi style RPG.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Mario and Sonic crossover RPG in the style of Mario & Luigi, and I can die happy.

4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=354662:date=Sep 25 2009, 07:12 PM:name=The Pulse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Pulse @ Sep 25 2009, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354662">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Sonic needs forms. I don't care how, but forms just have to be part of the game for it to be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can think of a way for Sonic to get 9 forms, easy.

Regular Sonic - Sonic's normal form. Obviously.
    Burning Sonic - Activated through the Red (Fire) emerald.
    Storm Sonic - Activated through the Yellow (Wind) emerald.
    Healing Sonic - Activated through the Green (Earth) emerald.
    Lightweight Sonic - Activated through the Cyan (Sky) emerald.
    Aquatic Sonic - Activated through the Blue (Water) emerald.
    Magnetic Sonic - Activated through the Magenta (Electric) emerald.
    Psychic Sonic - Activated through the Gray (Mind) emerald.
    Super Sonic. - Activated by holding all 7 Chaos Emeralds plus receiving the power of the Master Emerald.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This topic is hilarious for implying that any Sonic fan, or any combination of Sonic fans, could ever churn out something on par with what Bioware managed to create.

The game wasn't that bad, anyway.

6. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    A Mario & Luigi style game would work best. Like, in battle you time button presses to use Jump and Spindash attacks, where timing it perfectly would result in Sonic/Tails spindashing through enemies, whereas poor timing would lead to Sonic/Tails falling/sliding face first into the enemy.

Heck, it would fit with the japanese Mario & Luigi naming convention if a crossover game were to be made: it'd result in something like "Mario & Luigi 4x Heroes"

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    <!--quoteo(post=354695:date=Sep 25 2009, 08:20 PM:name=Ritz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ritz @ Sep 25 2009, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354695">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game wasn't that bad, anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with you on this. I also think that some of the ideas in this topic sound just as fanfic-ish as Chronicles.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic Chronicles, only better music, no Sonic X artwork, and you control the game with the D-pad instead of the stylus.

That or a Sonic RPG in the style of Mario & Luigi. Cartoony graphics, a humorous story, more of an emphasis on classic Sonic stuff, and a turn-based combat system rather than the randomized one we got in Chronicles. The characters I choose to attack in a specific order should attack first in that specific order. Otherwise, where's the strategy?

9. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Whatever the game'd play like (though I prefer turn-based battle systems myself), the story should try to steal less elements from stuff like Archie.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Honestly, turned-based (I.e., not real-time) combat in a Sonic RPG is a bad idea.

Although I normally wouldn't say something like this, remaining an open-minded individual, I would definitely not make a Sonic RPG. Perhaps it's because I have a strong idea in my mind of what can make a good RPG (even a decent turn-based one at that), and in no place does it connect with the sort of gameplay that one would come to expect from Sonic.

11. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I would love to see an isometric Action RPG, not a turn based RPG, based on Sonic. Here's why.

To me, after playing at least two dozen turn-based RPGs, I just couldn't get that into them. Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Lufia, Legend of Dragoon, Dragon Quest, all that good stuff. I remember my first Action RPG, Illusion of Gaia, and how much more involving it was than any turn-based RPG (The exception is Mother 3, it has a unique battle system). Sure, you could argue that the former requires more strategy than running around and not getting hit, but I think the frustration in an Action RPG is more pleasurable as you blame yourself more, rather than dying before it was your turn to use a healing item.

My point with this is that Sonic is fast (but it's not what his games are all about, duh), so he needs a fast RPG, and turn-based ones do not cut the mustard. You could do all the moves and kill shit in real time, going up levels, the dimensions of different pathways with ways to get back to one path or the other, blah blah blah.

PROS: More involving, puts the focus on Sonic (unless you found some cool way to play as all the characters while powering them up without retracing your steps or grinding), more options.

CONS: Some people may not like this kind of gameplay (remember Sonic 3D Blast?) due to the physics. I can't think of any other cons, which shows that someone else needs to offer a different viewpoint than mine to argue for turn-based RPGs.

Nothing out of a fanfiction, just the idea of an Action RPG, isometric for extra depth and a better view.

As far as basic controls, Sonic could run, jump, roll, homing attack, anything he could do in his regular games. Also, I don't think they would put bottomless pits in an Action RPG that cause an instant game over, so I guess you could also call that a pro, too. I'll make an illustration of what I'm talking about and put it in my thread in the Creative Works section.

12. A Sonic Styled RPG to me...would look more like Kingdom Hearts.

An Action RPG. Requiring movement, strategy, and timing. Huge worlds to explore, Battles you run into, and enemies you fight in the field. Would make things MUCH quicker than any other form of the RPG.

And it would have normal Sonic objects to maneuver around the game world. Loops, springs, and multiple routes would work in this kind of game.

You could still level up things, but it wouldn't take up near as much time, as it would use a quick open menu.

It would use Action commands, where Sonics twitchy game play would come in. Like Unleashed, the combos would change buttons. Unlike Unleashed, the combos would stay the same EVERY TIME.

Hell, even the KH2 Action stage for between worlds would suit the Tornado with some modification.

EDIT: Crap he beat me to it. :(

13. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    Something where Sonic levels up and finds power-ups that remain loyal to Sonic's basic gameplay.

It would actually be a good idea, too. Then they could actually develop a plot for an RPG and keep the platforming games in the series free of half-assed stories and plots. :/

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The Kingdom Hearts kind of thing seems like a good idea, but I would prefer selecting commands in a manner more akin to PSO. Perhaps even include PSO's co op?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Emeralds associated with elements Captain Planet style<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This idea almost causes me pain ever time I see it.

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I'd make the art team study the look of Sonic 1 and CD.

I would throw all plot that came from Adventure and beyond out the window, while still using some ideas (certain popular characters and Chao).

I'd make it turn based, because action RPGs aren't really RPGs.

I'd make it have plot twists where it goes from something small to something BIG. IE the big fight with the evil sonofabitch awakened by Robotnik that could destroy the planet as we know it would be fought near the beginning of the rising action, just to get it out of the way.

Make it fucking EPIC.

16. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Back when I was a fantastic fantard turd, ages and ages ago, I had an idea for one.

I envisioned a battle system similar to Kingdom Hearts: being action adventure based, rather than turn-based, in the style of Sonic.

The idea was that there were "books" to the game; different parts to the overall story, each one featuring a different team of Sonic characters, each team utilizing formations ala Sonic Heroes (this was before I played Sonic Heroes and realized what clusterfuck it was).

Formation changes wouldn't be a requirement to progress in the game, but basically which character of your team you picked as leader determined the formation. The three possibilities were Speed (More defensive, Less offensive), Power (More offensive, less defensive), and Flight (balanced, but master of neither).

It wasn't exactly the brightest idea.

17. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    ...and you say this was before you played Heroes? ...creepy...

18. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    <!--quoteo(post=354695:date=Sep 25 2009, 09:20 PM:name=Ritz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ritz @ Sep 25 2009, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354695">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This topic is hilarious for implying that any Sonic fan, or any combination of Sonic fans, could ever churn out something on par with what Bioware managed to create.

The game wasn't that bad, anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game involved a rip off the Dark Legion, absurdly stupid enemies, derailing multiple character's personalities, having Knuckles act like a douche to Sonic the second he's on screen, each and every one of your teammates claiming said douchery was called for, Shadow being condescending to the point I want to punch him in the face, a useless job for the Chaos Emeralds, shitty music, you get a 50-hit point health item for beating the fucking final boss, they raped Emerl, utterly failed to make any decent references, Shitty flash art that was promised to be "fully drawn detailed artwork" that is worse than some of the shit on deviant art, the battles are boggy, the menu navigation is frustrating, the variety of special skills is laughable, combination attacks share the same slots as solo moves further limiting each characters movepool, experience points are broken, stat and skill allocation isn't satisfying in the slightest, special move inputs are remarkably shallow, the 3d models are worse than the artwork, the items have zero to nilch of anything to do with Sonic aside from being in monitors, the sidequests are drab, the skill points are either impossible to keep up or ridiculously endless depending on whether or not you have Cream the Rabbit on your team, they decided to add in SWATbots for no good reason, half the enemies on the 2nd Act might as well be invincible and the field moves are never explained half the time.

Good day.

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=354759:date=Sep 26 2009, 12:19 AM:name=The Pulse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Pulse @ Sep 26 2009, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354759">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:words:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm just happy this shit wasn't released on the PSP.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I wouldn't have made a Sonic RPG.

There's a certain trail of thought:

What defines an RPG? Picking a class, going in to a dungeon, defeating powerful monsters, leveling up, and emerging stronger than you were when you went in? A strong narrative with dramatic twists and turns? A large cast of characters?

Not a single element of that is what defines Sonic, and when elements of that stuff have been added to the Sonic franchise, the end result is usually disastrous.

Lifebars, for instance. You give an enemy a lifebar so that you can see how powerful your attacks are. At a low level, you do wimpy damage, and at a high level, you do massive damage.

But to have a lifebar, you need combat depth. A variety of moves. A variety of weapons and equipables. Combat depth means you have to stop and focus on one enemy until they are defeated; you have to plan and strategize. That's not Sonic. Even keeping in mind the idea that "Sonic is more than speed", that's still too complicated and too slow for Sonic. Even Sonic Heroes, which has a ridiculously simple level up system, proved to be too slow.

As somebody who has <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic:_The_Fated_Hour" target="_blank">thought about a Sonic RPG a great deal</a>, I am confident when I say that a Sonic RPG is impossible without losing what defines Sonic as a character and as a franchise. It's going to feel like shoehorning him where he doesn't belong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.