don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Reminds me of those Newgrounds games that got ported to multiple Gaming consoles.

2. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Because of how hard it might be to animate? :/

What do you mean they have no form? I'm not an artist, but I took geometry class. Look at all the sharp angles, the large geometric objects formed by smaller irregular triangles, pentagons, rectangles, etc. There's hardly a curved circular shape in there, and it stands out. Reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Of course they have expressions. You don't need an eye with pupils and sclera to have character. That's something better communicated by the entire face: eyes, brows, mouth, nose (or lack thereof). It's all there.

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I personally always thought Adventure 1 and 2s level layouts were for the most part pretty good. The only issue is that in just about any level, exploration was limited as the 3D levels were floating chunks over an abyss. Even Lost World had a section that was indoors, but over a giant pool of death (section with the mirrors and lights). A few level themes have this type of thing being acceptable (Final Rush, Sky Deck are on my mind), but levels like Windy Valley Act 1 and Green Forest/White Jungle shouldn't. Pits in 3D games should be pretty much to a minimum. Unleashed shows that making an environment around the actual levels path shouldn't be a problem in future games with 3D sections. There's also one act of Starlight Carnival that was one of the better 3D section levels in Colors.

Basically, Unleashed/Colors like environments, Adventure platforming, gimmicks, and pace (with 2D sections as a touch. I also don't mind quick step sections, but that's my personal preference).

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    There. Now that's thinking three-dimensionally.

EDIT: By the way, Ross. I actually like your Tails redesign. Lanky seems to work better in Tails' case, and I like the long pointed ears and shoes. Also, he doesn't look like spaghetti.

[​IMG]

That being said, your artwork with Sonic is fantastic. It was never really bad, but not enough to "refute" the other drawings. Checking out your drawing thread now.

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Not a fan of Ross's artwork for either character. Something about them looks so evil. They're pointed mostly, their eyes look like hawk slits, and they look like they're going to tear open someone's throat and lap up the blood. ._.

I think Tails should be more round-ish in terms of design. He's supposed to be cute. I'm trying not to fail at Illustrator right now, I guess I'll do a sketch. I don't think I've posted any designs I've tried in this thread before. (Other than that Sonic picture I was trolling with. :v:)

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    While this is true, it's not all DEATH GLOOM EMO either. Big's story for example is just about finding his lost buddy, Amy is reuniting a bird with it's parents, Knuckles is gathering the Master Emerald up after it got shattered. Sonic and Tails are on the general world-saving schtick they've done since the Mega Drive games, which you'd hardly call dark, would you?

In fact the closest it gets is E-102 in that he's essentially an assassin, but at the same time, they're all bad guys he's taking out. This isn't HEDGEHOGS ON MOTORCYCLES~ flashing Glocks everywhere.

7. Volpino

Volpino

Sonic Adventure was also serious. You can have a serious plot without having a Shadow-esque plot. What I'm against in Sonic is shit like AoStH that's the other side of the spectrum of Shadow's game.

8. Sparks

Sparks

I think we can agree it's both. :v:

and a lot of people like AoStH :(

9. Volpino

Volpino

A lot of people like Shadow and Sonic X as well, even if they aren't usually on here. :colbert:

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sure people like them, but how well do they hold up financially compared to other games?

Kinda hard to compare Sonic Xs financial success to AoStH and SatAM due to changes in society and norms, I guess.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Sonic reminds me of Beast Boy from Teen Titans in that picture. :v: But I really like this design. <3

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And what's the closest we've come to this in the games? Colours had some jokes in the script, that's hardly slapstick AoStH territory where Robotnik might be prancing around crying to his mother, now is it?

As an unrelated point - I'd have thought you of all people would prefer AoStH over SatAM because Tails actually had screentime in it, but whatever =P

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Despite the fact that regardless of little screen time, his character is more endearing and charming instead of insanely irritating and acting like he's hyped up on sugar 24/7? Yeah, I think I'll stick with SatAM on the aspect of Tails's personality.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That... was the point of AoSTH, though. Overcaffeinated, loony madness.

15. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I'd be tempted to go all-out Ub Iwerks if I were somehow hired to do a sonic game.
    [​IMG]
    Also I doodled Sonic a la Pen Ward :P
    [​IMG]

16. Haha. I'm actually kind of surprised that I haven't seen more like the first one, since the cartoons of that era were such a big influence on Sonic's design.

17. Goddamn it, now I can see Sonic and Tails going on Finn and Jake-esque adventures...

18. Volpino

Volpino

I just have to reply to this. I completely understand why you'd think that, so I guess I should point out that even though Tails was painfully downplayed in SatAM, he wasn't doing weird things either like having his heart come out of his mouth or stretching his jaw until it looked manly with a huge dimple. I don't really find that very appealing on something that's supposed to be cute. In SatAM, he was adorable and innocent and didn't freak me out by contorting himself.

(Besides, part of the appeal of the character for me comes from the Archie series and the fact that he had a very interesting background, a personality and archetype I liked, and character development that made sense based on the formerly mentioned traits. AoStH's Tails was just... there, getting kidnapped, occasionally doing something interesting, and freaking me out with his weird bending. And his design looked more like a kid Banjo anyway.)

Just because it's the point of something doesn't mean we all have to like it. The rest of us will tilt to what we do like, and bitch about what we don't like on a forum thread where the goal is to discuss such things.

I thought of Flapjack and Noby Noby Boy for some reason.

And I never got around to doing that Tails drawing past a shitty outline I never inked, I got busy. Anyway, I think the characters' current style is too uniform, I think that each character should have more variance in their appearances while only being tied together by more subtle traces of a unified style. And by that, I mean a bloody echidna shouldn't look like a hedgehog and a fox shouldn't look entirely like either one. I came to this thought while playing Sly Cooper. Look at how differently all the characters are shaped, but they still have little common marks that give the idea the same person (or people) designed them.

19. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I shall bestow the prize of one million internets to the man who does a Sonic cartoon ala Disney's Silly Symphonies series, because this picture looks too cool not to capitalize on it.

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.