How to play audio directly from a program to a live streaming service?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Naean, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Naean

Naean

Artist, photographer, audio and video editor. Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Basically, I'd like to know the best way to directly play audio from a program (In most cases, it'll probably be Kega Fusion.) to a live streaming service like Omegle or blogTV. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who does not have a "Stereo Mixer" in the Playback and/or Recording devices sections of the Sound options. I've tried context clicking and selecting "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices", but no show.

I've searched around on Google, however I couldn't find what I need that is free or won't cost much money. I've heard about possible free ways of getting Stereo Mixer by changing what audio drivers you have, but I'm unsure of whether attempting to do so could screw up my audio somehow.

Any suggestions or advice on this are much appreciated. My operating system is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

Edit: Something I should have said here before - I also want the ability to be able to hear both the audio I'm streaming, as well as the audio from the other person I am streaming to. The other people I'm streaming to should also be able to hear both my voice as well as, for example, audio from a game I'm playing.

2. null1024

null1024

Easiest way is a male-male minijack cable. Plug one end into your output, plug the other into your input, and hit record. No chance of messing anything up, and will work on any computer ever.

If you also want to hear what you're recording at the same time, plug a headphone splitter into the output, and plug the male-male cable into that, and some headphones into the open plug on the headphone splitter. It's what I do, works extremely well.

Costs money, but I was able to get those items from Radio Shack [in the US] for like, $8 total IIRC, or probably on Amazon otherwise.

And if you really don't feel like spending any money, you could construct your own from the cabling on 2 busted earbud pairs, although stripping the wire of wax to do such is a pain.

3. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Thanks.

For the part I've bolded, could you provide an illustration or picture of how this would look and how everything connects? Even if it's just a very simple drawing, I'd probably understand how it all works better visually rather than text description. :)

4. null1024

null1024

Sure. Be warned, it's pretty badly done.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6443934/terrible-diagram.png

5. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Haha. 9,000 hours in Adobe Photoshop for sure right there! :v:

Seriously though, cheers for the diagram. I think I understand how it works now. One question though, can the headphone input be USB? The headset I'm using has a USB connection.

6. null1024

null1024

I haven't seen a USB headphone splitter before, so I dunno.

7. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Oh okay. No problem.

If anyone else reading this has any alternative solutions, feel free to chime in. I'd greatly appreciate multiple opinions so I can make a definite decision. :)

8. Delta

Delta

Oldbie
    Virtual Audio Cable may be what you're looking for. Not free, though. If you choose the "self-support" option, it's around $25 (or $0 if you're so inclined :P). There's also a trial version so you can see if it works for you.

9. Naean

Naean

United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Thanks, I'll give that a try some time soon, and see how it works.