don't click here

How far did you get in Sonic Chronicles?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Heran Bago, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Among those I've talked to who have played the game, few got reasonably far in the game. I also don't know one person who actually bought the game. The game's reception by reviewers seemed good, and there are no major faults with the game. I am curious about how the release and subsequent playing went among you sonic fans, but my questions are more out of curiosity than to prove a point about game quality or something. Now that everyone has had the chance to see it, I want to know:

How far did you get in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood?

Did you actually buy it?

I myself got as far as the swamps and Big the Cat. (No spoiler warning. There are swamps and Big. Woo.) I did not buy it and won't till it's like $5.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I bought it at release, beat it within a few days, and haven't touched it since. It was okay.

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Beat it twice, didn't have the incentive to play again.
    Got the leaked ROM, didn't want to pay for it.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I played the leaked ROM and had a bit of fun being a dick to Amy through the various dialogue portions involving her. Haven't touched it since.

Not one of my favorites, I've got to say. And the music is unbearable! Seriously, what the hell is this? Disgusting.

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Played the leak rom, from start to finish, it was a nice game, I loved the KOTOR series so I thats why I played it (and because of Sonic), but most of the music is freaking HORRIBLE.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Haven't touched it. Don't plan to either.

Make the music less unbearable and I'll maybe consider. Won't happen though, so won't bother. Now Unleashed on the other hand. There's a game with a beautiful soundtrack (Listening to Apotos Windmill Isle day right now :P )

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I've beaten it maybe two or three times.

I got it on or near release, don't remember. Haven't played it for awhile; it gets boring after you're all leveled up.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    1. Got to... whenever you meet Rouge
    2. Didn't buy it. But I don't have a DS, I was playing it on an emulator. Would have bought it if I had a DS.

A few things:
    I think people complaining about this game's combat didn't realize that increasing your attack also increased your accuracy
    You burn through POW points too fast. I'd prefer it if they recharged/charged by attacking (like Chrono Cross)
    Otherwise, I like the battle system. Engaging without being annoying like the Extends from Legend of Dragoon.

Not just the music, the sound in general sucked. Would have benefited from using the Sonic CD jump SFX (or possible the one from Adventure 1), the 2/3 SFX gets grating after a while. Why not have the "Pheyw" SFX play when you KO something?

This game was probably pirated a whole lot. And lol at it winning game of the month from EGM.

Last thing: The conversation faces (Those little faces by which you choose your response) need to be added as emotes to this forum.

9. I bought it - I got as far as Nocturne. I suddenly realized that it was crap and stopped playing it. I'll probably pick it up again later, just to see how crappy the ending is.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't be the only one here that finds that jumping sound effect just awful. They should have just used the Sonic 1 - 3 jumping sound effect from then til the end of time. I'd rather hear that than Sonic's voice when he jumps in the later games.

11. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The one from CD is smoother, exploring the sections with lots of jumps results in constant moooooooooirp moooooooooirpmoooooooooirpmoooooooooirp, as opposed to the more reserved (and sinusoidal, the regular one is a square wave) SFX from CD.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like that sound :P The SCD one does sound smoother, however it sounds too dulled out because of it.

13. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I bought the videogame and I have finished it a few times... that because I wanted to collect all the chaos, I even traded some ones to level up and to obtain viral chaos…

it's easy to finish the game for second time, the only bad thing is the limited money, because the rings doesn't appear again, but the level, items and chaos stay.

after I reached all characters to level 30, I only have to level 3 in some chaos and to obtain three viral chao (I think it will be imposible to obtain the five because one was delivered in a event).

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    First time into Central City, found the game unbearably bad and deleted it off my hard drive.

I believe I just answered that question. :)

I really don't understand how this tripe got such raving reviews. The gaming media's completely brain dead. EDIT: Oh, wait, right... BioWare blackmails reviewers to give their stuff high scores even if it's shit.

15. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    It's a midi from vgmusic.com with all the instruments taken out except the lead and rendered for the DS. :)

duh

16. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Bought it at release, beat it in two or three days and started a new game.
    I have a friend who finished it four or five times.

17. Crazizzle

Crazizzle

I thought the game was flawed but enjoyable. I never would have played through it if not for the fact it's a Sonic game, though. There are some nice moments of dialouge and the game was relatively engaging once you got the hang of the combat. I see the game as a 7.5/10... the dialouge and story was solid.

On the negative, the POW points were frustrating because the points never leveled up with you. So, even when you get attacks that take, say, 8 to 10 PP...you never gain more than 20 pp. Also, rings are way too hard to aquire and the game forces you to steal and sell items in order to collect everything in the game. Also, the new enemies were extremely difficult at first because you had no clues on how to kill them.

Given chance to design a sequal, I think it would be better designed. So, we'll see. I beat it twice to explore every conversation tree.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I was thinking about buying it but I gave my DS to my young brother so rather pointless to buy it now, also from what I read and the mistakes they made I'm glad I never did.

19. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Got mine on a ROM, up to the bit where Sonic and Knuckles storm the ship and tails and eggman are on the ground.
    I R struck, apparently I needed to get cream first.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yet to pick it up, but intend to at some point, maybe when it's dropped in price a bit more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.