How do I edit S2 so that sonic sprite doesn't give

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by .hack//zero, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Learning NES ASM, Finding a girlfriend.
    Yes, I know this will invaulve editing the rom, sonic sprite, and probably adding something the uncompressed data. Crap, can't spellcheck. Gotta go.

2. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    How many people have asked this question? A lot.

You'd need to edit both the sprite mappings (in the ROM) and the Sonik Sprite script files. I actually think this would be a big waste of time. It would be easier just to edit with TLP after you've changed the mappings, since you'd need TLP to see what you're doing anyway.

3. Beta

Beta

Oldbie
    I really wish when I wrote Sonik Sprite that I had better explained the magenta tiles. I never actually knew how popular that program was going to be.

Ah well. The short answer is you really can't do anything about it short of editing sprites the old fashioned way. It would require editing the actual sprite mappings, then adding script files for Sonik Sprite that told Sonik Sprite where all the new tiles were. As Hivebrain stated, it's really not worth it at that point since you're already doing all the dirty work, which Sonik Sprite was designed to do for you.

When I started working on Sonik Sprite Remix, which admittedly didn't get finished as I wanted, I had began correcting the magenta tile issue by allowing people to switch to a mode that automatically tried to tag the extra data to the end of the rom. It was starting to look nessisary since recompressing the sprite data didn't always fit (Since remix did compressed art). It's a shame I never got that finished.

4. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Do you have any plans to work on remix, or are you just done with it?

5. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Well, not to pry, can you still finish it, or is life throwing massive curveballs and real life kicking you in the shins? I can understand if you even just don't want too.

6. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Well, if there's a major probablem that I can't fix. I'll figure out a way to get around it. One way or another.

7. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Or if you want sprites out of another game like S3, you can port all the data over like I did this morning. You'd need to port the animation scripts, dynamic load cues, art and mappings (you'll need to convert the mappings format), and then fix up the animation pointers to the Walking, Running, Jumping, Rolling and Pushing in Sonic's actual code. Not really hard to do, but pretty time consuming.

8. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

That's a good idea, I might do that.

9. Beta

Beta

Oldbie
    Well, it's not so much that I didn't want to finish it, but the hacking community seemed to start to dispiate, and I didn't know people still did a lot of rom edits. I shelved it, and it's written in VB6—something I haven't worked with in a few years.

I also have a inventory management database project I'm working on, that will net me around $1000 when finished. Honestly I don't know how I'd get back into working on it. I would probably just end up giving the source away. The source wasn't really commented all too well however, so people would really need to know what they're doing to finish it (honestly though the program is finished for the most part, what was left was adding the sprite informatino to the database. All of Sonic 1 was supported, as well as a lot of compressed art. The only problem was I never allowed data to be saved to the end of the rom. If compressed art didn't compress small enough, it wouldn't let you save it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.