don't click here

Homebrew on DS

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I have a DS, and I want to know: How do I get homebrew DS games without screwing up the DS itself? I'm a little tight on money right now (hope to get a job soon, though), so if it involves that, I might need to wait a little bit.

I appreciate the help :(

EDIT: And by "games" I mean, "just about any homebrew app there is for the DS"

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Well, I don't own a DS, but I knew a hot girl who did :P Since the DS doesn't have any flash memory, you have to buy a kit, which is like $70. It consists of a GBA cart and a DS cart, one for storage and one for software.

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I take it the GBA cart's for storage and the DS is for software?

Meh, I'll wait until I have enough money for that. *hopes he gets a job soon*

4. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    You could just get an R4 DS cart. It doesn't require a GBA cart, and they're pretty cheap at the moment.

5. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    Nab yourself a CycloDS cart. While GBA roms and homebrew are unsupported, DS homebrew requires no patching and any rom designed to run on DS hardware runs flawlessly, no questions asked. Best flashcart I ever spent money on, that's for sure.

6. ...except that's one of the most expensive ones around. Very good, yes, with it's shit like real-time savestates for DS games, but expensive compared to the old but still adequte stuff like the R4.

Basically, you need a Flashcart (Ie, R4) and a MicroSD card to store everything. 512mb to 1gb would be fine for homebrew only unless you have a very big pron collection or lots of videos. Card speed also mattewrs little when not playing ROMs.

7. Flygon

Flygon

8. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    When I get enough money in my bank account, I'll take everyone's ideas into consideration.

I'll need something cheap, but good.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Cheap, good, easily obtainable.

Pick 2.

10. In the context of only using the thing for homebrew you can choose all 3. Pretty much everything now auto-patches homebrew so it's as simple as a drag and drop.

11. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Plus due to the fact that the Mother 3 Fan Translation's almost done (They're working on the Last Hack, then it's final testing, and it should be done in a month or two) I might need to get a flash cartridge for GBA Roms.

But I'll worry about the flash DS cards until the translation's finished. And before that, I need to get a job :P

12. EZ Flash 3 in 1 is your best bet for that. I use it and it works fine once you load some software on your Flash Cart to copy ROMs over. You can even set it to copy the ROM to the slower memory in the cart which will keep data even when the power is turned off, and can then be used as a normal GBA cart.