Hmm... an interesting study

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by WiteoutKing, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I want to try something out, if you don't mind.

I'd like you to tell me exactly what you think Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) will be like. Gameplay, plotline, characters, secrets, everything. Based on what you know so far, tell me what you think it'll be like. Be as in-depth as you like.

As new bits of info get released, I'll make sure to account for it, but when the game comes out I'm going to bring this topic back up for you guys to see just how close or far off the general concensus is from where Sonic Team intends on taking you. Probably some stats too.

2. Quite an interesting idea. I would think it has a similar style to SA (With the Advanture fields and stuff), only more focused on the speed element, and not too many characters. That's not exactly my perfect game, but I can tell it will be something like that. At least it will beat heroes.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    I'm thinking that it's going to be more of a deep RPG element... The town stages are like the harbor for the story. Depending on certain events, paths might open up that lead into action stages as the game goes on. This would be a bit similar to Sonic Adventure, but in a much deeper sense.

Since each character has thier own system of gameplay, it'll definitely be interesting to see how they lead up to thier levels as well. If it were all the same concept, it could get a bit dull after a while.

4. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    No guns, no vehicles, no psychic powers. Whoops, they've already messed it up.

5. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I think it looks okay so far. I am totally excited about it, but we will never actually know until we play it for ourselves. Even if one of us plays it and says it sucks doesn't mean the whole forum will hate it. I like the new character models, but I hate the idea of a psychic hedgehog. I'll never know until I try though. I am more excited about the Sonic games coming out on Wii.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You've read my mind... It was looking good until Shadow and leafhead appeared in the trailer.

7. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Heh, heaven forbid that a character in a game about a super-fast blue hedgehog could have telekinetic powers. Completely removes the realism, right? <_<

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Who cares about realism? I care about the blue guy running around wierd scenarios and doing fun stuff. And that will be apparently only 1/3 of this game.

9. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I disagree. I think It'll take off more of Sonic Aventure And give the main story to Sonic, then doing a balancing act.

10. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    What the hell is "Sonic Aventure"? :P

(set! postcount (add1 postcount))

11. Lostgame

Lostgame

resident geek girl + record label manager Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    You know what? When it comes down to it, I now appreciate Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 more than Sonic 2. Chaotix pwns all, and I'm not saying Sonic 2 was not a good game, but my favorite games, for Sonic:

1)Chaotix
    2)Sonic Adventure 2
    3)Sonic Adventure
    4)Sonic 2
    5)Sonic 3 and Knuckles

As far as 3D action platformers go, I think Sonic Adventure 2 is the best I've ever played.

And now for a bunch of complaints about me, and my views and how you disagree, and asking me "How could you think that?"

12. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I'm going to have to murder you now for using Scheme in this topic.

Regarding Chaotix I really don't see what people like in it. I played it once jsut for the sake of saying I'd played it, but god damn that got boring quick. Effectively the same five levels played five times over gets dull real fast.

13. Shade

Shade

Your logic, quite frankly, eludes and hurts my brain.

Anyhow, I'm thinking this: Lets say Sonic Adventure was the best 3D Sonic (it is); This game will be as good, if not better. I am completely psyched. Sonic's levels look great design wise, I'm loving the new character designs, and hell, I'm all for mixing up the gameplay a tad; just as long as the focus is on running through well designed zones and, most of all, on Sonic. Oh, and the game looks f-ing gourgeous.

14. I think the plot is going to seem cheesy at first, but it will go interesting places. Rather than "Eggman has a big dangerous thingy! And he wants to take over the world! Again!" I think we can hope for them trying to put some real substance in and trying to answer questions like "why is Sonic so fast anyway?" and "how can he use Chaos Control?" While these might not be questions that we're all burning to know the answers to, at least the story will really go somewhere for once.

As for gameplay, I haven't seen enough of it yet to really be sure, but it looks pretty standard so far, with a little twist here and there.

In-game graphics and cutscenes look hawt. I think people will pay much more attention to the environments this time around because of the increased engine capabilities.

I also predict that the "old skool" and "hard-core" Sonic fans will find something to collectively bitch about no matter how good or bad the game actually turns out to be. And that one of those things will be the camera.

15. Shade

Shade

That'll happen no matter what. It's inevitable. No matter how many things a game does right, some people will find things to bitch about. There is no such thing as a perfect game. There will never be a single game that absolutley every person on the planet loves and doesn't have any gripes about.

16. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    I think it'll have sex scenes.

EDIT: Shade - Katamari Damacy?

17. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Super Smash Bros. Melee

18. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    I have three words.

Sonic.

Adventure.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I'll only say something about Sonic NextGen: don't expect a really reboot of Sonic. I bet that they still used the same level designers, when is the level design the real problem of the actual games. Sega makes things wrong, but fans rarely pay attention to this, and Sega does what fans say. So...

20. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I believe many people will dislike it because it has Robotnik as the main enemy; I forsee it totally destroying everything set up in the Dreamcast Generation, much like the Dreamcast did to good ol' Genesis games.

...However, this game will not suck as a result of it, but rather should hopefully recapture the original spirit. But, just like Sonic Adventure, it'll have the other two 'hogs, which will exist to clutter the spirit of the game and annoy you with wonky sidequests. I can't help but expect another emerald-finding game.

However, I can see this Robotnik as actually defending himself, unlike the Dreamcast one. This alone will make the game worth buying, as we can see more of a Sonic CD-ish Robotnik who's unfair and has more machines than a Best Buy store.

All in all, it'll probably outrank Sonic Adventure by just a hair. In my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.