HivePal Beta

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hivebrain, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    I've released a beta version of HivePal, a pallet editor for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. It can actually edit any Megadrive ROM, but you'll need to enter pallet addresses manually. Download it from my site.

[​IMG]

http://sonicology.fateback.com

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Wow, nifty stuff. Great job, Hivebrain.

Question: Will this be able to copy pallet lines/colors by selection and paste them on others? That'd be very helpful.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    I think I could do that.

4. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Wow, very interesting Hivebrain. If I ever hack Gunstar Heroes (Which I plan to do sometime, but not soon.) this will certainly come in handy.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Great job, this will be pretty useful. Defenatly better than PalED.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm... Would it be too hard to add an option to browse the ROM and see all the data as palette colors? I mean, as in the tile viewers, but with colors instead of graphics, and showing an X where the data doesn't follow the MD color format.

I've been looking forward something like that since I found those wierd palettes in the Sonic 2 proto, which follow the MD standards but aren't used anywhere even though they actually make some sense...

Good work, by the way.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    ICEknight: Good idea, I'll add a pallet browser.

Tweaker: It occurred to me that you can copy/paste pallets already. Load a pallet, change the address and save it. That has the same effect, although there's a good chance you'd accidentally save to the wrong address and spoil your ROM.

8. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    I've made something like that a while ago, it's quite easy to do, at least in theory. In practise, however, I've discovered that some games can have the unused bits set in some color entries - could be an error by the programmers or maybe the game actually uses those bits for something. So, if you simply read the ROM in 16 bit chunks and don't display the values that don't fit into the normal "0000 bbb0 ggg0 rrr0" color format, then you might block out some valid color entries...
    Anyway, the large majority of MD games probably adheres to the "0000 bbb0 ggg0 rrr0" format and has the non-RGB bits all zero.

Good program, Hivebrain. The color picker showing the 8 possible shades of R/G/B is a nice idea.

9. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Spain
    I have used HivePal for a few tests in hacking the Sonic 1 rom and it seems perfectly. The pallet browser has been a great improvement.

Later I will add a few more test images.

I think this is going to be the best pallet editing program. Be sure I will use it in Sonic lol. :(

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, what's Scrap Brain's color cycle #7? Is it even used?

There's some other's I can't recognize either... =|

11. Maxtream

Maxtream

Think, I have asked this before, but... how do you open a .rar document? I can't seem to acess the program, winzip aint working either.

12. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
  13. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
  14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    There's no drag and drop though which is annoying.

Anyhoo yeah that tool looks pretty nifty ^^ Any chance of making it able to extract a small gif contatining the palette data?

15. Lostgame

Lostgame

turntablist, dinosaur goddess Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Do you plan on releasing it as a whole software suite? As in the E.S.E. style? Or are you just maknig this into a single piece of software?

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    No, this is just a standalone program. HivePixel will be more like a software suite though, editing graphics, mappings and tiles.

17. Maxtream

Maxtream

I got the program to work, but my ROM of Sonic2 will not load. I think I need to get a .bin file of it, but I'm not sure how I can do that. How do I get a .bin file of Sonic 2?

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I am really looking forward to that. Will it be able to edit Sonic's mappings as well? What about animations?

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Well, good job with it. I'll be using this.

Also, what I mean before with copying/pasting was select colors (like a control + click thing), control +c to copy, and control +v to paste. etc...

Rika: Yes it will. :D

20. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Speaking of HivePixel, do you have a target release date for that yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.