don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The background is done. Is it not?
    [​IMG]

Which is why it isn't listed on the to-do list.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Yes, the background was done some time ago.

ICEKnight, there is a world of difference between the highly simplified, crayon-drawn style of Yoshi's Island, and the painted, hand-drawn style of S2HD, as you can see clearly in the background of HTZ. For this project, it is very fitting. And an official part of our art direction.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't see how the irregularly shaped tree on the right fits with these finished graphics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Those show clean, perfect shapes, which certainly don't look "hand drawn". So is the art direction purposely inconsistent or what?

4. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Resized. And I'm glad it was as simple as resizing all the layers all at once.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you don't like my brick/lava tube then be vocal about it. I did a half ass job on it and I know it. Put up a drawing of how you think its supposed to work. I'm trying to motivate people here by being the only one contributing artwork. No one has even done anything about the trunk.

What should I be working on here? My plate is empty.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I have to agree with ICEknight as well.

6. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I don't think either tree works as they currently are; the metallic tree is glaringly bright and the organic tree is smudged and blurry. Perhaps if the tree had colors like the organic one (although, perhaps not quite as dark) with the sharp, crisp edges of the metallic tree?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You're not seeing the latest version...

8. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Oh, I guess I hadn't. I like it!

[E] Wouldn't hurt to see it in a mockup, though

9. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Thanks ICEKnight I was about to say that but I was just swirling words around in my head how to put it because I am over here banging my head on my desk. I don't even know why my straight render ended up on that picture. He didn't even use that version a base for his tree seen by the shading and shadows.

Am I in bizarro world?

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

ICEKnight, I'm not a fan of the 'irregularly shaped' tree, and haven't commented on it as such. I said I liked Zemulii's idea. I think you got that confused somehow. Hand-drawn may be a poor descriptor for the style we're after really; the references you posted were done in vector art. When you look at the mockup Gambit posted of HTZ, it's pretty clear that the direction is consistent. It's getting the tree to fit that becomes an issue, thus the many refinements it has been going through here.

Edit: in my previous post I was referring to the background specifically, if that clears things up more.

Also, Gambit came up with an idea that I translated to 3D for him:
    [​IMG]
    Again, shapes only, not adjusting for shading beyond basic ambient occlusion. Certainly a different take on the original. We're honestly not sure what to make of it, but thought you guys should have a look anyway.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    For god's sake, we have a perfect pine tree already, why start all over again instead of making something else?

People like it, and I still don't understand what makes it not valid. It doesn't even look like a 3D render anymore.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I honestly don't see what's wrong with the trees here other than the fact that they're bright enough to burn my eye sockets and the trunk.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, am I the only one who doesn't like how that tree looks at all?

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    What was wrong with this one? I really can't picture the original tree in HD without it looking exactly like this. I mean, it's the right colour, and the right shape, and it doesn't have retarded leaves.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Nobody on the staff is happy with 'em either, hence why we're still tossing ideas around.

16. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]

17. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I can see this is getting nowhere. Most of the staff doesn't like the shapes, and you guys haven't commented on the mockups we've created for them. Apparently the original shapes are fine in literally everyone else's eyes. I don't understand this, but whatever. I don't expect everyone to agree.

If you guys are going to continue evaluating MDM's work, at least use a current mockup. He's done more than enough work to merit that.
    [​IMG]

I look at it and I see a tree that could have a far more interesting silhouette. That said, the shading on it works well enough now for me. Contrary to popular belief, I don't carry the ruling vote on level art though, so I'll leave Gambit and Cerulean Nights to pass judgment on these as well.

18. zemulii

zemulii

Well I don't see what's wrong with continuing to throw ideas around, at least things are happening around here. I don't believe it's quite "perfect" yet (if anything can be called perfect). If throwing up ideas was stopping us from doing other work then sure, I could understand. But it's clearly not, so the more ideas the merrier :). And if we can rule out all of them... then we can much more safely assume that we've got the right tree!

The current tree's shading could be polished, looks a little rough compared to everything else on screen. I also sort of feel the edges look too straight and jagged (sharp). I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say... what with all the pixelation, the original sprite sort of looked a little softer or something.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The tree looks fine. But the trunk blends too much with the mountains in the BG, so it should need a different color.

20. zemulii

zemulii

Well yeah, I mean that's kind of how I feel. My mockup sketch was probably rather exaggerated, but if you look around at all the other art clearly we've already taken some liberties with the extra resolution. Adding details where there were none, adjusting shapes, colours. Why does this tree have to be any different? I recall the EHZ palm silhouette posted earlier which seemed to have been modified quite a bit. The HTZ tree (shape) just seems so simple that it kind of feels out of place now. It has to be possible to make it more interesting while retaining most it's original style. I think a zone like Hill Top desperately needs that sort of approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.