don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsrb

dsrb

Actually, that's a rather good idea. + - 30 pages of "How should rocks look?" need not apply  

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well, the reason I thought of the Eggman symbol was because the symbol always looked like it was mocking Sonic in some way. Robotnik just has that sort of snide grin. In putting it on the door, it's almost as if he's saying "Come on Sonic. I DARE you to come in here!".

If it was already there, then why is this contraption so different from all the others in the stage? The lift thing uses a vine to carry across the platform, to reach higher areas there is a seesaw machine, and to block off dangerous areas there is....an automated lifting metallic door? I dunno...seems out of place to me.

Also: I also like the rockslide idea, but it wouldn't make sense for there to be a rockslide that recedes into the ceiling and then comes back down...

3. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I suppose you could just change the programming of the door so that you never see it move up. It starts up and hidden in the ceiling, and when you pass it, it falls down and never goes back up, even if you try to send Tails to bug the "door" open again. :P

4. dsrb

dsrb

Well, have a rock on the ceiling to hint at the impending closure of the passage, rather than a door that extends and retracts. If the player doesn't see or ignores this hint, the rockslide locks them in.

This is still just overthinking. If the concept isn't being changed, just whack in a big metal door with a design approximate to the original (maybe even with windows :P), no logos or anything, and get on with something that actually matters. (That would be an idea!)

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    This makes the most sense to me, considering how garish the Hill Top door looks even in S2 originally. I mean, the other option is what.. Completely remove the door and make a whole new item and then code it to ignore the fact the door raises and lowers at one point in the level?

I mean, that's what makes sense to me, someone who normally completely ignores S2HD on goings until someone mentions a fit over a tree or something.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Having a rock slide would be a no go if you wanted multiplayer for this zone later in game development. Nice idea though.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Multiplayer in hill top would be a no-go regardless unless both characters were in different instances of the level.

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    If your referring to the rising lava and rising ground. You do know that they go back down to the way they were when they first started and then just repeat the cycle.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It wouldn't really be fair at all to the person that gets to that part last since they'd have to wait and the person that got there first would be on their merry way without having to worry about being caught up to.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    For the first act there is only that short area that takes a few seconds for it to rise and then fall. As for the second act there are two routes. I think it's great that you would have to think which would be best to beat your opponent. Take a different path or race them to get there first. I'm sure when it comes to testing the level you will see it's won't be an issue but a nifty tactic exclusively for that zone. Not only that but you have those monitors that switch character positions so that also evens things out.

11. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Well, that sort of thing could be an incentive to take a different route than your opponent. Besides, having an evil bastard level could make for some very fun races if the environment wasn't too seriously competitive.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG]

I think these are the versions that got it better at this moment:

MaximusDM's lava filled column:
    And T.Q.'s door. Even if it looks like a bunch of blocks, it's better than a Rolex, a rock or anything unrelated:
    If only somebody could make those concepts look better before the zanyness takes over, we could have something that everybody will like, and not only a selected few.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I prefer MDMs take on it. I would like it even more if the windows weren't so wide. And obviously, the bevelled metal would need to be worked on. Maybe the top 4 windows could be replaced by a siren?

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    There's complaining when concepts are left unfinished, but most of you have moved onto the door instead of evaluating the seesaws that we currently have. Nothing additional has been done on the actual post for it yet. There's been only one inventive take on the pivot itself. Taking an "I can't think of anything else for this right now so I'm just going to move on" isn't going to cut it. That's the way we end up with debacles like the tree. Let's get the seesaw squared away first, and then we'll continue discussion on the door. I already have a direction in mind for that to clear up the different directions it's been heading in lately.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks to me like nobody thinks the normal pivot needs change, which is the exact opposite that happened with the tree.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I honestly thought discussion on the seesaw was over, cause I didn't see any incessant bickering.

17. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    If you ask me, the see saws in the concepts above are fine as they are.

18. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

QFT. Don't get hung up on artwork that is acceptable.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I'm pretty sure a vote is in order to choose which of the seesaw designs to use, because they are all fantastic in their own way. The base design, however, needs no changing. I think we can agree on that much.

What I'd like is for a seesaw to be chosen quickly, so I can see what direction you have in mind for the door, Canned Karma.

20. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    The art in the game can always be replaced in the future anyway, if some art clashes and stuff...right? Or is there a problem that the art must be final 'cause changes in the future would become too difficult?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.