Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, I don't think this worked very well in the end. Still, it's only an experiment. Just looks a bit weirdly flat? *And too sharp on the edges... for some reason. Maybe because the drawing doesn't map around the shape of the trunk... Probably shouldn't have used the black. Anyway I can't figure it out. I had something more soft, and "chippy" (peeling, flaky, whatever) - along the lines of the cliffs in the background in my head, but it turned out kinda interesting regardless (even if nothing like what I intended :/ ).

* Actually... now that I think about it... why did I make the sides perfectly straight? They could have some slight variation where the bark comes up from the surface.

(concept)

[​IMG]

Also... look at all these interesting barks:

<a href="http://www.google.co.nz/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=890&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=pine+tree+trunk&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=" target="_blank">http://www.google.co.nz/images?um=1&hl...q=&gs_rfai=</a>

Now a photorealistic bark is obviously not right for the project. But if you look at the shape and texture of the bark and then sort of simplify/cartoonerize it, soften and tone it down a bit... maybe it could create an interesting effect?

2. It's cool looking zemuli, but as you said I'm not sure it fits the art style.

I'm a fan of trying to find an n-gon (decagon, dodecagon, what have you) that doesn't look terrible. As much as I like some of the other concepts (seriously, they look good), I feel an n-gon is probably going to fit best with the other Hilltop artwork - especially the grass. Adding some shading/lighting to make it look a bit less flat from top-bottom may help a bit (shadow cast from the tree above?).

Props to subsubstantive for trying something that doesn't look hyper realistic and looks more geometrical (very much like Sonic 2) even if the first stab didn't look good at all. Hopefully it'll influence some other cracks at a non-textured solution.

3. zemulii

zemulii

Do you mean an "n-gon" as opposed to a cylinder (so sort of like substantive's idea)? Or were you meaning something else?

4. I added the same number of "gons" to the trunk as the branches.
    [edit] changed the direction of the light source.
    [​IMG]

5. zemulii

zemulii

You know... that does actually look kind of interesting. It's really hard to tell on this small, rubbish screen I'm viewing it on at the moment, but assuming it's a soft and relatively subtle effect like I think I'm seeing... I kind of like it. I'll have to wait until I see it on a better screen though ;).

The "n-gon" effect sort of reminds me of honeycombs heh. Which then kind of makes me relate it to Diamondus (or whatever it was) from Jazz Jackrabbit!

6. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    That one doesn't look nearly as bad. I still don't agree with it, but I wouldn't rage over it either at least.

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I like it for its distinct highlight because it goes with that of a the tree's center highlight. Everything else about it I have a problem with.
    I just want to blend all the shades and the highlight needs to be in the center. I don't know why you off-centered it. You can't really argue that the light source needs to be perfectly center. Its just the way it is. And it looks all the more awkward when you got the tree top all perfectly symmetrical with the light source streak in the middle and then have your trunk different. I don't mind its texture. But I just want to smooth out the steps in color. Possibly soften the edge of the highlight but still make it very distinct similar to the tree.

8. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    <!--quoteo(post=482239:date=Jul 22 2010, 02:21 AM:name=subsubstantive)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subsubstantive @ Jul 22 2010, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=482239">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I added the same number of "gons" to the trunk as the branches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It's still equally interesting as a cylinder trunk. Just sayin'.

<!--quoteo(post=481981:date=Jul 21 2010, 07:29 AM:name=zemulii)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zemulii @ Jul 21 2010, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=481981">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Now, this IS an interesting concept. It adds to the flavour as opposed to replacing it with a completely different kind of trunk. Seriously, if they wanted to make it pencil-shaped, they would've easily done it.

9. Well, I for one am just sick to death of this trunk at this point.

10. I'm at work, so I don't have any programs aside from MS paint, but I tried to make that octogon trunk more symetrical. However, the branch hanging in the middle is not centered itself. I didn't have the option of moving the trunk to put the branch in the center because I only have the one picture as a source. Anyway, is this any better?

[​IMG]

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's alot better now. And it looks very fitting with the rest of the art work. I will say it's pleasing to thee eyes compared to the first mockup of this trunk.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Quite honestly, without taking the time to explain it's an octagon/whatever-gon, whoever is seeing that will no doubt think it's just some dull-looking shading with a texture applied to it...

13. <!--quoteo(post=482921:date=Jul 23 2010, 02:08 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Jul 23 2010, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=482921">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite honestly, without taking the time to explain it's an octagon/whatever-gon, whoever is seeing that will no doubt think it's just some dull-looking shading with a texture applied to it...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We have been at this trunk for far too long. We need a decision made on what direction is going to be taken. If you ask me, the checker pattern is dull-looking, over-used and "unauthentic". The verticle bark, was better, but looked slightly out of place. The one I made, the pencil design, IN MY BIASED OPINION, complys with the Zone's aesthetics, and the branches as well. Just because it's simple does not mean it is bland or uncreative. To me it is minimal and crystaline like the rocks and the background.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But, for this one, you need to explain what it's supposed to be so it's not mistaken with a 3-colors MSPaint job with a texture applied to it.

The other two feature some noticeable volume right off the bat.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=482924:date=Jul 23 2010, 07:23 PM:name=subsubstantive)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subsubstantive @ Jul 23 2010, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=482924">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because it's simple does not mean it is bland or uncreative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not only that but sometimes when too much detail is added can make artwork look tacky and even overkill.

16. I like the pencil trunk the most as well.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps, one more time... making an octogonal 3D trunk could help getting the shading right, and make it look like it has some real volume?

As of right now, the flat-yet-textured colors and the dark sides are killing it.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    For once I actually agree with Iceknight - if you're going to use that octo-trunk, it needs reworking, as right now it looks awful.

19. Let me reiterate. I am aware my pencil version is not there yet, it does lack volume, etc. I just think it is a good concept, which should be considered. I think it has potential to be the one. By no means is it good enough as is. Perhaps someone with experience in 3d could remake it, and add some atmosphere. My primary goal is to move this trunk along, let's get it over and choose a direction already.

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think it should at least have more in-between shades to it - I think that's all I will say for the moment (not really keen on it myself)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.