don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=458209:date=May 23 2010, 03:54 PM:name=Black Squirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Squirrel @ May 23 2010, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458209">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]

I posted something similar to this a few dozen pages back but nobody seemed to notice.

I think it's a much nicer direction to go in than trying to give the trunk a wooden texture. More Sonic-y<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fucking genius idea. It's got the steveswede approval.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I agree, that's awesome.

Much better than those trying to look like a real tree, those are just so un Sonic 2-ish.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Indeed, that's a cool idea. It reminds me of those concepts for the Special Stage which had a checkered floor, which was quite fitting.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    * add +1 support for that trunk here *

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=458399:date=May 23 2010, 05:35 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ May 23 2010, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458399">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->* add +1 support for that trunk here *<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second that.

Also, nice to see you've cheered up, Nineko.

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]

7. zemulii

zemulii

Looking good! That trunk actually does a lot for it and fits in really nicely. Now that looks very Sonic 2 :)!

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Looks good. There is one small detail about the trunk that bothers me, how the very middle of it has rectangles instead of squares (like only one half was drawn then it was flipped to make the whole trunk). Not really anything wrong with it, it just keeps grabbing my eye.

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I think the trunk could benefit from the squares being a tad larger. Right now the squares are small enough that they look like they were un-changed pixels from the 4x original sprite, instead of an exquisite added detail.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <!--quoteo(post=458504:date=May 24 2010, 05:02 AM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ May 24 2010, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458504">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks good. There is one small detail about the trunk that bothers me, how the very middle of it has rectangles instead of squares (like only one half was drawn then it was flipped to make the whole trunk). Not really anything wrong with it, it just keeps grabbing my eye.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I thought it was done on purpose because of the perspective?
    Someone should make a new mockup to see how that trunk stands out from the BG, by the way, to make sure the colours don't blend.

Also, what happened to the upper part? It looked better a couple of mockups ago...

edit: so this was my 4000th post, so dull :\

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=458515:date=May 23 2010, 11:46 PM:name=Hamneggs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hamneggs @ May 23 2010, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458515">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the trunk could benefit from the squares being a tad larger. Right now the squares are small enough that they look like they were un-changed pixels from the 4x original sprite, instead of an exquisite added detail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, perhaps changing them to twice their current size would make them more noticeable when they're shrunk to their final size. Also, it's true that the squares in the middle look like rectangles, but that should be easy to fix. Perhaps MaximusDM could make a tall 3D cylinder for the trunk and apply a centered checkered texture to it?

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=458564:date=May 24 2010, 07:45 AM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ May 24 2010, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458564">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, what happened to the upper part? It looked better a couple of mockups ago..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah the ferns have gone blurry and there is aliasing on it now. The best one was the one before the gradients.

13. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I don't like the trunk at all, but I'm in a minority...

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=458662:date=May 24 2010, 09:54 AM:name=SonarDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonarDragon @ May 24 2010, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458662">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the trunk at all, but I'm in a minority...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stating the reasons why you don't like something usually helps improving.

15. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Okay, now all we need is the shadow that the upper part casts onto the trunk. Then it would be perfect.

16. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

<!--quoteo(post=458666:date=May 24 2010, 10:04 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ May 24 2010, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458666">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=458662:date=May 24 2010, 09:54 AM:name=SonarDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonarDragon @ May 24 2010, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458662">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the trunk at all, but I'm in a minority...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stating the reasons why you don't like something usually helps improving.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It doesn't resemble what the original seemed like, it looks more like it would fit in EHZ, it just doesn't look right.

I'm bad at explaining...

17. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    <!--quoteo(post=458756:date=May 24 2010, 03:33 PM:name=SonarDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonarDragon @ May 24 2010, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458756">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it looks more like it would fit in EHZ.

I'm bad at explaining...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I see your point. It needs to be a bit bluer, like it was in the shadow of one of the great mountains that are seen in the background, just like everything else is.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Is someone going to explain how they think the door is supposed to work if you think it isn't lava so I can give it a shot because right now I am working on nothing and I'd like to change that.

19. zemulii

zemulii

Is there any chance we can get a mock up of Hill Top with no trees? So we can stick new ones over it? Or even better, a separate background and foreground layer would make it even easier!

Edit:

An atmospheric blue tint can place the tree further into the background (btw the colours and contrast could be off as I'm using a pretty horrible CRT right now):

[​IMG]

20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=458867:date=May 24 2010, 09:10 PM:name=zemulii)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zemulii @ May 24 2010, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458867">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any chance we can get a mock up of Hill Top with no trees? So we can stick new ones over it?

Edit:

An atmospheric blue tint can place the tree further into the background (btw the colours and contrast could be off as I'm using a pretty horrible CRT right now):<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would only work if the trees looked like they were supposed to be in the distance to begin with. Also, <a href="http://sanik.hacking-cult.org/inker/data/1274754138hill%20top%20mock%20up.zip" target="_blank">here's the mock-up.</a>

<!--quoteo(post=458861:date=May 24 2010, 09:00 PM:name=MaximusDM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximusDM @ May 24 2010, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=458861">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is someone going to explain how they think the door is supposed to work if you think it isn't lava so I can give it a shot because right now I am working on nothing and I'd like to change that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd say it's open to interpretation, so there really isn't any one correct answer. I saw someone say that those swirling things were actually lights and not lava, and that makes sense. So just do whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.