don't click here

hex

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Skaarg, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaarg

Skaarg

can somebody tell me a good hex editor that will work on NES roms cuz I got one but it only works for SNES. I just want to edit some text in the game but hex is the only way to do it. if u know of one thx :D

2. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    www.hexworkshop.com

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

is there anyway to convert all the stuff on the right to text cuz in this one hex editor I saw u could convert the stuff on the right to text. but my comp didnt like that hex editor. so is there some way to convert it?

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Eh? You don't need the ASCII conversion block. Most people keep it there since it makes them look more impressive.

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

what do u meen by make it look more impressive ?? I just want to edit like the words in letters that the princess gives u and and the names of the characters in super mario bros 3 im not gonna be editing levels I got editors for that.

6. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Well, if the characters are in plain ASCII text, you can open the ROM in any text editor such as Wordpad (included in Windows) and edit the text there. However, if my thinking is correct, most of the "text" is actually stored as graphics, such as the "MARIO" for the lives counter, so you'd need a graphics editor specifically for the ROM so you could edit the graphics. Well, Tile Layer Pro might work, but only on uncompressed graphics. By the way, if this has to do with Mario, why are you posting it here, on a Sonic message board?

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

ya I know the lives thing is in gfx I've already doen that I've changed tons of the the gfx in the games and all of the first world but ya ill get to work on editing that text thx :D
    I posted here cuz I know ur all really smart at this crap and im too lazy to look for a mario message board :P

*edit I tried that and it don't work* its all bunch weird letters and only says mario once but that's for the game title.

8. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Okay, let me step you through it.

HOW TO GET IMAGES WHICH CAN BE EDITED
    1. Find the point in the ROM for the data you want to edit.
    2. Decompress with whatever compression algorithm is used by the game.
    3. Save the decompressed graphics in a sepoerate file, probably labelled as a DAT file.
    4. Open in Tile Layer Pro.

9. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    Don't ever use Wordpad to open a ROM or any type of Binary file. It will not properly save a binary file since it accepts only ascii and whatever formats Wordpad accepts. Any hex editor can work with any rom or document if you know how to use it. I use XVI32 to hex edit. It supports pasting hex strings or ascii, quick reading of ascii values of hex digits when selected, etc. And for searching hex files for ranges of data (not nearly as good as regular expressions but it's good), I use Xtree Gold 3.0.

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.