don't click here

Hex editing an AVI file for youtube

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by nineko, Nov 25, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I did some research and I found out that it's possible to upload videos longer than 10 minutes on Youtube by hex editing the AVI header, leading Youtube to believe the video is shorter than its actual length.
    All my attempts at doing this have failed so far, because of the limited amount of informations about this whole process.
    Is there anyone out there who knows how to do this, maybe some tricks or something? Or at least someone who can point me in the correct direction, even if I have to contact someone else.

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. It doesn't work (anymore I think). Although your video keeps playing, the timer stops at what you set the header to, and the related video thing overlays your video.

I guess, you could draw information of a documentation of the AVI header.

3. nineko

nineko

italy
    I found the documentation about the AVI header and as I said I did some tests, but they failed.

Anyway, there *is* a trick that is still working, look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYBpr31p8k, 23 minutes. But I don't have Adobe Premiere :(

I'm trying some other solutions right now, hopefully I'll find a way.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Can't you just change your account type to the one where you're aloud to upload longer ones?

5. nineko

nineko

italy
    No. All the accounts are limited to 10 minutes now.
    Only pre-2006 director accounts are still unlimited.

6. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I swear there is a mass uploader thing for youtube that breaks those limits, I just can't remember if it is the filesize limit or the time limit. If you do figure it out, tell me, I am planning an upload of a bunch of prototype vids, and I want to consolidate them all into one long file.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's only the filesize limit, which was increased for normal uploads anyway, I believe. It's an official YouTube uploader you can get on the site anyway.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    It's only a matter of time before YouTube patches up this little crack. They made it harder to download videos directly onto your computer, and they did something else I can't remember right now.

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Still, can anyone with Adobe Premiere confirm (or deny) that the trick explained in this video works?
    I don't even understand what he's saying.

10. Evil Cheese

Evil Cheese

..... Member
    I'm not sure about that method...I kinda understand what he's doing but I have no idea if it works.

If there is a working method I'm pretty sure you can find it in this long thread on the subject here;

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic336882.html

I browsed the thread briefly and I don't think there is a widely known exploit to do it but I probably missed something.

11. Pelord

Pelord

Warning signs for hire Oldbie
    I know this isn't much help, but YouTube's 10 minute (actually 10:59) rule is ridiculous... if you are one of the so-called YouTube 'Partners', you can upload a video of any length, but if you aren't a Partner, uploading a video that goes over that limit is considered a violation of the Terms of Use...

12. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yeah I know it's 10:59, I have a 10:53 video, but still... :\

13. Trick doesn't work. Youtube said "Failed (video could not be converted)"

14. nineko

nineko

italy
  15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  16. nineko

nineko

italy
    If you have an account on Youtube please try to send him a message asking how he did that. So even if he ignores my request maybe he'll read yours.

Though I think he just used the same trick used by the other guy, and while uploaded movies still work, the trick itself doesn't work anymore

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Sent him a message.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Hah, that's some cool shit right there. How has this not been pulled down though a copyright infringement by now though?