don't click here

Hedgehog Engine Remakes?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Machenstein, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machenstein

Machenstein

It has become quite clear that the day stages of Sonic Unleashed refine the 3D formula with a new revamped control scheme and the graphical prowess of the Hedgehog Engine. This is the evolution that the 3D games have needed for so long. At the same time, I look at how Nintendo took Metroid, the NES original, and remade it using Super Metroid's engine which resulted in Metroid Zero Mission. I'm sure you already know where I'm getting at here. Which Sonic games, if any, would you like to see remade with the Hedgehog Engine?

A Hedgehog Engine remake of Sonic Adventure would be interesting. Just think, Windy Valley rendered in those beautiful CG quality graphics, and the level redesigned to accommodate the speed and controls of Sonic Unleashed, allowing you to Quick Step and Drift on that highway in the sky. And since there are levels in Sonic Adventure based on Central America, the developers can just use the Sonic Unleashed template for real world locations. Hub worlds such as Station Square and Mystic Ruins could really benefit from it.

You could explore the possibility of 2D games being remade with the Hedgehog Engine too, even if this thread is primarily about the 3D games.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Fixed.

I instantly thought Sonic 3K when I saw the title, but your Adventure idea sounds magnificent. This is something I'd approve of.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

When it comes to 3D remakes. I would like both of the Adventure games getting revamped, but does anyone else think that SEGA can redo Sonic 06 with the hedgehog, changing the story, and getting it right? The level concepts themselves were not that bad. Think of Kingdom Valley for example.

2D games...absolutely all of them, Sonic 1, CD, 2, and 3 and Knuckles. It would be lovely. Out of all of them, Sonic CD would be a blast.

4. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Sonic CD.

Stardust Speedway Metal Sonic race do want.

5. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Technically, it was based on Metroid Fusion's, which was based on Wario Land 4's... but yeah.

This seems like an awesome idea.

6. SonicArtist

SonicArtist

Drawing, learning to hack
    I second this one.

But I'd like to see the very first Sonic game to be remade, think of how cool green hill would with the hedgehog engine,

7. Machenstein

Machenstein

Heh. I read somewhere that Metroid Zero Mission was remade with the Super Metroid engine, but I guess that source was wrong. But Zero Mission really does feel like a Super Metroid reinterpretation of the original.

I wouldn't mind a Hedgehog Engine remake of Sonic Adventure 2 either. Since Sonic Adventure 2 was heavily based on real world locations such as San Francisco, it could benefit from a Sonic Unleashed facelift as well. I wouldn't even mind hub worlds; explore Space Colony ARK in ways you never have before.

8. Retrogamer

Retrogamer

1996: Sonic flips the birdie. Member
    If Sega were to remake Sonic CD with the Hedgehog Engine, along with the setting to change the sound from English to Japanese, you'd get one hell of a title.

9. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Reviewers would, of course, slam it for the time travel gimmic artificially lengthening the game.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    So sad, but true, reviewers will find anything so they give Sonic games a bad score, in the end the important thing is that you the player try the game and play it.

As for Hedgehog Engine Remakes I would love to see Sonic the Hedgehog 2 remade using this engine.

11. Most any mainstream Sonic title would benefit from the Hedgehog Engine.

The ones I would want the most would have to be S3&K and Sonic CD.

12. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Hedgehog Engine already proves to be great for a Sonic racing game, too, with the Quick Step, Sonic Drift, and Sonic Boost implemented. Something like Sonic R (only faster) and Sonic Rivals combined could work nicely using the engine. There can be "sprint" stages (for the main 'story' mode) and "circuit" stages (for 'VS'/'Arcade'/whatever mode only). The story mode could also have rings and badniks just like in Sonic R, so the whole game could be like the day stages from Unleashed, only with a multiplayer and crap. The perfect marriage of platforming and racing.

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Why do you all act "OMG HEDGEHOG ENGINE IS AWESOME MAKE BEST GAME EVR!!!!"

It has NOTHING to do with game play. it's a graphics engine. Why can people not grasp this!

14. Rokkan

Rokkan

With the amazing powers of the Hedgehog Engine, SEGA could totally re-do Sonic OVA with those graphics. Scenes like "SHUT UP TAILS" and the Tails boob scene would earn another layer of epicness.

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Why not just make specially made games to use the Hedgehog Engine?

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    As I'm not very techy, it was only recently that I found out the engine doesn't do the gameplay. Whatever they did with this gameplay, they need to keep doing it for sure. They need to keep the Hedgehog Engine as well. Whatever they did with Unleashed, they need to keep it. I hope they do, it's why I made the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/sunleash/

boy that didn't go very far did it?

17. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    Aside from the side-dash, the only real changes they made to the gameplay were the 2D sections, which really doesn't have anything to do with blast pro--- the Hedgehog Engine.

I'd be totally fine if the remade the old 2d ones, so long as they kept them 2D and focused on the old platforming and multiple routes as much as they do speed.

18. Machenstein

Machenstein

We know already. But for this thread let's just assume the engine has something to do with the gameplay. I would change the subject to "Sonic Unleashed gameplay engine" but everyone already assumes that's the Hedgehog Engine.

19. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    If they were to remake Sonic Adventure, the only change I'd want to controls/physics would be not coming to a collision bug induced halt any time you touch a wall.

20. Graxer

Graxer

Sonic Adventure 2 with only extended and edited versions of the Sonic and Shadow levels (including Green Hill Zone of course) and a few new levels based off the other character's levels. Possibly all levels as Sonic. That would be cool in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.