don't click here

HDMI or Component?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So I have a PS3. It merely has one of those standard AV cables that come with video game systems and the like. While the graphics are good as it is, I decided to see if I could do better. So, I bought an HDMI cable for dirt cheap off Amazon. Now I wonder:

Should I have gone with Component? Or does HDMI give better HD?

2. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I think HDMI is far better than Component.

3. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    HDMI, by FAR. I can't emphasize the word "far" enough.

Component is a little better than RCA (standard red/white/yellow cables); it does provide a clearer picture, but it's not that big a difference. HDMI, on the other hand, allows full HD (1920x1080 in progressive scanning mode) and provides a crystal clear picture. If you're using a SD or ED TV, use component as it'll show you pretty much the best picture those can provide, but if you're using an HD TV, then you really should go with HDMI. The difference is enormous.

4. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Plus it is far less cables to deal with. HDMI does audio/video meaning less of a mess behind your tv. Also if you ever have to unhook it having to plug in one HDMI cable is better than the RGBWR cables and as Kurosan said HDMI just has straight up better picture.

5. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    But on the chance that your TV can't handle HDMI, like some from more then 4 or so years ago, it probably wouldn't hurt to have an RGB cable set as backup.

6. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking

The TV I have is a Sylvania 22" LCD HDTV, and I just bought it around a couple of months ago.

Anyways, glad to hear I made a good purchase. The cable was a steal as well, at $4, and all but .25% of it was shipping. Good reviews as well.

7. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Then congratulations, you did indeed make the right call! You may have seen some HDMI cables with insane prices around, like 90 bucks or so (one of the more popular brands being Monster), but believe it or not, those are actually no better than a 5-10 bucks cable. Take it from me; employees at Future Shop (a Best Buy-like chain and their biggest competitor in Canada) get those 90-ish dollar cables for less than 5 dollars. Those brands sell HDMI cables with a mark up of around 1900% simply because they know that a lot of people don't know how much they're really worth.

8. Phredreeke

Phredreeke

Oldbie
    Nah, the difference between component and composite is pretty big (especially when it comes to color resolution), and component does support higher resolutions (720p, 1080i vs. 480i and 576i for composite)

HDMI is still better though. Mainly because it's digital so your TV wont have to reconvert it from analog to digital again while processing the video. You need HDMI to play Blu Rays in HD. I believe they will only playback at 480p on component connection.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That what it's like over here in the UK with PC World. When they first came about, they were selling a 1.3m HDMI cable for £65. Went to town and pick one up for £15 for a 3m one.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Pfffft. I bought one from China for like £3. HDMI cables are a ripoff no matter WHERE you buy them from if you're paying more than about a fiver.

11. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    HDMI is just repackaged DVI + Audio basically. It's digital, and won't suffer the distortion effects of signal attenuation analogue signals like YPbPr (which is often called component). However, given common use, it won't matter.

HDMI-supported televisions commonly can push 1080p, while the same TV via component is usually restricted to 1080i, which is mathematically a super wide 540p :P. Some better TVs can do 1080p over component.

If you have a CRT, which is a good TV, use YPbPr or RGB (if available). For an LCD or Plasma, which is digital by nature, you should go with HDMI or DVI. On an LCD, those will be much clearer.

The difference is HUGE. Composite suffers horrible artifacts and blurring, as well as supporting only low resolutions.

H... hey wait a minute, offtopic but... Phredreeke have I seen your name elsewhere? TDC perhaps?

12. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So, the HDMI cable came in, and it seems that the highest my TV can go before I get a nice little "Format Not Supported" message is 1080i. Is that good? Or should I go for, say, 720p?

13. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
  14. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Most PS3 and Xbox 360 games run in 720p anyway, so you should stick with that. Even if you had th option of 1080p I've only played a few games that use it, and they're mostly PSN titles.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, many games run at 400p or 480p and then upscale. Their pixel shaders are very expensive to go higher.

16. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    I'd have to go with HDMI. I bought one when I first purchased my PS3 and never looked back. Component is ok (need to use it for Wii, and had to use it for my old 360), but the picture and sound seem a lot better through an HDMI connection, even if you're not running in 1080p (which my HD TV can't do).

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Alright, well, I've got the HDMI cable, I've got it set to 720p, and I'm happy with it.

Feel free to lock this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.