don't click here

Having A Slight Trouble With the Xenowhirl Disassembly

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Elektro-Omega, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Probably a completely stupid question but because SonED 2 wasnt working on my laptop I decided to delve deeper into ASM learning.

I have downloaded the xenowhirl 2007 split disassembly of sonic 2 and opened it, double clicked build.bat and I already get an error.

">>>No such file or directory
    >>>BINCLUDE "art/palettes/Title Water.bin Title Screen Water Pallete (unu
    sed)
    fatal error, assembly terminated"

As I said this is probably me being a complete noob about how to approach this but I was wondering what I am doing wrong or if anyone else has had this problem.

I just find it hard to understant why it wont build a perfectly untouched disassembly.

Sorry if this is a timewasting question.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    You haven't split it yet. Get a Sonic 2 ROM, rename it s2.bin and click split.bat. Then you can work on the game.

3. You need to split a Sonic 2 ROM before you can use the disassembly. Put a clean Sonic 2 REV 01 ROM in the disassembly folder (if you don't have one, you can get it on SonAR - the one you're after is "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (REV 01) (W) [!]"), rename it to s2.bin and then double-click on split.bat to split it. After that building should work fine.

Edit: SOTI beat me to it. Oh well.

4. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    What the above two have said.

Also, in what way is SonED 2 not working?

5. SonED 2 reads from the files made by split.bat—so if the files aren't there yet, SonED 2 goes like wat and halts.

6. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I deleted previous files.

I found it very strange, I already split a rom and it is still saying that the file is missing (however I doubt the rom is the needed rev 01 so I will get it from sonAR).

Earlier on in the year I tried to run sonED 2 with my fully split rom (that was assembling perfectly) but I open SonED 2 and get to the splash screen and click open, but it terminated the program. It does this every time. But only on my laptop (which I pretty much only use).

I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit with 4 GB RAM.

I bought this problem up in the SonED 2 thread but had no reply ... any help?

Edit: I just split it and it builds fine. Thank you to eveyone for their help, it was stupidity on my part. The problem with SonED 2 still stands though :(

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

On the subject of this particular dissassembly is anyone else having problems with certain tiles and mappings in SonMapEd (eg. the ending sprites)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.