Hacking Pokemon Yellow using Pokemon Yellow

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Metal Knuckles, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    source

A more creepy-pasta-esque example of what this is capable of doing

2. Sonic Scotland

Sonic Scotland

Glasgow, Scotland
    Project Hawick
    This is insanely brilliant. I'm away to hunt down a G.B.C....

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Brilliant, and devious. I don't think you could straight up program completely separate games like this.....could you?

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy. Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Hacking Sonic Drift, Writer at Sonic Cage Dome
    It's pretty cool to see what happens and what can occur from messing around with glitches in the first gen games but this is definitely taking that to a whole new level. O.O I'll have to try this sometime, it'll be different from just simply glitching out the game. :)

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Talk about a buzzkill. I watched that entire video waiting to see what would happen, and got greeted with My Little Pony. Siiigh.

It's certainly a neat technical achievement though. Now to just wait and see someone do something good with it.

6. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Yo dawg, I heard you like hacking Pokemon Yellow, so I decided to hack your Pokemon Yellow with Pokemon Yellow.

Seriously though, here I was thinking the Mew glitch was fun and impressive....

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Guitar Hero II Deluxe
    Wow, what the everloving fuck. This is the epitome of TAS runs at the moment. I say that as neither a fan of Pokemon nor MLP.

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Dragon Team Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This is amazing.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    If it's small enough, yes. But the entire game, and all its data needs to fit in RAM, so you're pretty limited.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Indeed, If one should ever want to publish something of technical importance the last thing the person should do is use something MLP related as the pay off. It completely undermines the credibility of the individual and the technical work of it.

+ - j/k. In all seriousness its quite an accomplishment and goes to show how poorly coded and broken the Pokemon games were. And yet that did not stop one from enjoying the game in question.  

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I wouldn't exactly say they were "poorly coded and broken", seeing as everything does work as it's meant to in the first place, just with added extras. :P

Nice to see something like this actually being used with actual programming in mind (minus the MLP, of course); could lead to some interesting ideas if utilised correctly.

12. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Well from a technical stand point it is kinda poorly coded. To many places were the game could do something that wasnt planned and could have unforeseen consequences.

Still awesome thought.

13. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    It's poor coding if you approach it from a modern industry standard sort of viewpoint where QA must absolutely address any sort of bugs and exploits a gamer may come across. Otherwise when you take into account that the game is 15 years old and the hardware it was on and that a vast majority of the bugs and exploits in the game added to the fun of it all which is the purpose of a game app, it's hard to criticize the coding.

That and from all accounts Satoshi Tajiri is a bug fanatic and the game is about bug collecting. Why shouldn't it have bugs? :v:

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Hahaha, I love this. I have a friend who's really into programming. He's a Computer Science major. So I showed him this, he's a big Pokemon fan, really into it. Got SO butthurt when MLP came up at the end. Awesome!

As for the Gen I's stability... I think it's more than just looking at it from the perspective "of the time". I mean, QA and bug-testing was a huge deal even then, as we saw with the INSANE amounts of QA Sonic 3D had to go through. What made Pokemon unique is that it was pretty much the most technical, ambitious and complicated thing that had ever been done on the Game Boy. I mean, what other game had EVER pushed the system like that? Given that, I think GameFreak should be commended for getting it to work as well as it did, where the bugs and glitches are just fun extras, extremely unlikely to screw up anything too badly.

15. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I don't even know why I bothered to watch the video. I know next to nothing about Pokemon, and I had no idea what was happening throughout the entire video. But the concept was absolutely fascinating.

And that MLP 8 bit remix was good.

16. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    This is fantastic. I can't think of anything to say that hasn't been said already. Honestly, I'd love to see what could be done with this. (Also, is it possible to dump program data to SRAM and run from that? Could lead to much larger programs, but then again it is SRAM)

17. So, uh... what's the point?

18. Flygon

Flygon

Because it's cool, and amusing. And it helps point out, once again, how terribly terribly programmed the 1st generation Pokemon games were.

19. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Fixed.

Seriously people stop missing the point. There was an exploit in a VERY OLD GAME that was one of the FIRST GAMES DEVELOPED FOR THE SYSTEM (actually since Red/Blue were the first Pokemon for the system, that's not entirely true}, and it's showing how exploits like this can lead to all kinds of weird things that normally wouldn't be possible without tools or more in-depth research. This is Pokemon hacking on the gameboy! That's AWESOME.

I love shit like this. I really do.

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    That, that was beautiful... (reverse) engineering at it's finest!