don't click here

Guide to Sonic ROMs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Hivebrain, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Please provide ASM-based proof for your statement.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm positive that any hackers/release groups from back then would just edit the header (just like they did with many old ROMs) rather than touching the title screen... Even though it would be just silly to change the title anywhere.

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Also, it's not uncommon for protos to have different names, either as jokes or code names or whatever - for example, the Gunstar Heroes proto has "Lunatic Gunstar" in the header.

4. Vangar

Vangar

I have a EUR Mean Bean Machine. I could send it to QJimbo when I get my S2 back.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    That's an irregularity that's been in GoodGen for years. Cowering hasn't bothered fixing it (although he did fix the Sonic 1 "Beta" by renaming it to [h?] - that "beta" was Cyan's hack).

GerbilSoft CDs? O_o

7z is the highly-compressed format used by 7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org - use version 3.13, since 7-Zip betas can possibly corrupt data.

Also, my server's back up :) - here's a link to the Sonic Crackers archive.
    http://gerbilsoft.ddns.info:90/misc/sonic_crackers.7z

6. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    So, to summarise: there are really two versions of Crackers/Studium/whatever - one 'normal' ROM, and one overdumped from an EEPROM that previously contained a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game, yes?

What're the filesizes of the 'normal' and the overdumped versions?

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Normal: 1MB
    Overdump: 2MB

8. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I downloaded one of the ROMs listed there from another site (Sonic Spinball with alternate music). However, it seems that only the title screen has different music. Is this normal or are the level musics meant to be the same?

9. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    The alternate title screen music is by Dreams Come True. However, the team behind Spinball didn't have the rights to the song, so they had to replace it with the generic pinball tune on the other version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.