don't click here

Gravity Defying levels

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Walrus, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was playing Mario Galaxy on my Wii, and I could't help thinking of the Death Egg zone in Sonic 3. It had a simliar gravity defying idea going on. Do you guys know an example of this, before Sonic 3?

:argh:

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I can't remember if it became before or after Sonic 3K but one of the later MegaMan games (4, 5 or 6... I can't remember) has a level where you play part of it upside down.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    In a Sonic game? Nope. I'm sure the idea was present in numerous platformers beforehand, though—it's not a particularly original concept.

Still neat, though. :argh:

4. JDAdams

JDAdams

Ancipital springs to mind - 4-way gravity

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Gravity Man's stage, MM5. That game made me rage first time through, but now I can breeze through it easily.

6. Sciz

Sciz

The best example is probably Metal Storm, which has gravity flipping as a central mechanic of the gameplay.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    There was a level in Kirby's Adventure where you jumped over pits, and the space around the pits alternated between strong down gravity and weak up gravity.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    When I first saw the flipping happening in Death Egg in S3K, I thought it was a reference to the third act of the second level (The toy one) in Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion, which a lot of the Sonic 3 guys did (And also has a few Sonic cliches, before-the-fact).

Except, y'know -- in reverse. (Mickey is never flipped, everything else is)

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I don't think that was gravity, I interpreted it as wind. When Kirby was puffed up, he'd float up much faster in the updrafts than when he wasn't, implying it was blowing him up faster due to a larger surface area. Like a closed umbrella versus an open one.

10. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Crazy Gadget from SA2 and Cyber Track from Sonic Advance 3 had gravity flips.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Speaking of reversed gravity the other week I played CNZ act 1 with reverse gravity only returning to normal gravity when I had to hit the light switch. It's a challenge :P

12. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    And how can we forget Sonic Riders:Zero Gravity? You could ride on walls and sometimes even ceilings in certain areas.

13. KMMouse

KMMouse

UK
    Cinos - Battle of the Order Gems
    Not Sonic, but Strider, by Capcom, had a couple of stages where the gravity reversed, and on the boss of said stages, you could walk around the entire circular room, and if you leapt towards them, you got caught in the gravitational pull and got spun around the boss orb in mid air for about 10-20 seconds.

14. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    <3 Metalstorm.

If any of you guys haven't played Metal Storm, do so. It is seriously one of the best NES games ever. Prettiest too. It almost looks like a 16 bit game.

15. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Shit, when I was reminded of this game, I was surprised to discover is was was an NES game (I remembered the game, but not the title). Especially surprising, because I could have sworn gravity switching was on it's own button.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That does look pretty awesome. Looks to me like it works like Gunstar Heroes' mine cart level with double jumping.

17. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It does kind of have the gunstar heroes vibe to it, but it's more contra. One hit kills you with the exception of an armor upgrade which gives you a second hit once. Very fast twitch. What really distinguishes it though is that the level design does some really weird stuff with the gravity flip. Sometimes it can be a bit of a mind screw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.