Good Pixel Art Program

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Namo, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I've been using MSPaint since I was 3, so I'm pretty good with it. But, I have a new project I need to do that requires some features that MSPaint doesn't have. Basically, I've drawn some sprites on paper, and scanned them. I want to make them into sprites like what you see in games. However, MSPaint doesn't support layers or transparency or all that good stuff, and programs like Photoshop like to eat lots of memory, as well as smooth or anti-alias the lines out, plus its a total bitch to draw in that program in any case.

Are there any pixel-art programs with the simplicity and pixelyness of MSPaint but with Layers, Transparency, and some other little bells and whistles out there?

2. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    I know Photoshop eats memory fast but it's still a good program to use for pixel art.

I found its best to go to Edit -> preferences -> general and change the drop down box to 'Nearest Neighbour (Preserve hard edges)'. This is good for pixel art.

I know this post wasn't too much help but I do love the layers and alpha channels that Photoshop offers (aswell as the functionality).

3. Delta

Delta

Oldbie
    While not specifically made for pixel art, <a href="http://www.getpaint.net/" target="_blank">Paint.NET</a> fits your description fairly well. Layers, transparency, the ability to turn off antialiasing. Plus it's free.

One more tailored towards pixel art is <a href="http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/" target="_blank">GraphicsGale</a>, though you have pay for it (or pirate it).

Edit: Oh, GraphicsGale has a free version. My mistake.

4. Namo

Namo

Thanks, I'll give each of those a shot. I've heard good things about Paint.Net, too.

EDIT: Looks like Paint.Net is my ideal program. Thanks for the help!

5. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I have yet to see anything that equals Paint Shop Pro 7.4 Anniversary Edition.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    <a href="http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php" target="_blank">Pro Motion</a> is generally said to be the most sophisticated pixel pusher available (Next to DPaint, which is still somehow unanimously considered to be the best ever after roughly 16 years since the last release), but the convoluted interface was a bit of a bonerkill during the 3 minutes I spent with the trial. GraphicsGale is really all you'll ever need.

I'd have never stopped using NeoPaint if it supported layers.

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Graphics Gale. Always Graphics Gale, it comes with everything you need. Just torrent the full version. The regular version doesn't allow you to save gifs or view them which can be very annoying.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I personally prefer Graphics Gale. It's lightweight, and does anything you would need for pixel art. (if only it could save in pcx format.)

9. Namo

Namo

I also installed graphics gale next to Paint.Net. I haven't given it much of a shot yet because for the life of me it was much easier to find "add new transparent layer" in Paint.net than graphics gale, if graphics gale even has the feature.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    There's a button to the right of the play and pause buttons called "add layer".

11. Namo

Namo

Lol :v: I'm so accustomed to doing that via Menu after using other programs so long. Thanks.