don't click here

Goggles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Shad, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    There were goggles in Sonic 1?

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

The goggles were an unused sprite.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Guess I'll go check out Cult or something since the wiki doesn't say anything about.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    The Shad googles for the goggles. *shot*

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Ze goggles! Ze do nothing!

So, are the goggles supposed to be something equivalent to Knuckles Air Necklace?

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's the general assumption that we've made. However, there's technically no "official" explanation of the goggles' use, as far as I know.

I mean, who knows - there could have been a large ripple effect on the level, and the goggles could have got rid of it so you could see what's going on. There's lot of possibilities, but the infinite air idea is the most prevalent.

7. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    The ripple idea would actually be pretty cool. Though, you have to wonder if the goggles, had they have been an air apparatus, would've taken away the daunting atmosphere that gave so many 10 year olds the anxiety of "Oh fuck, oh fuck, air bubble, air bubble" in a slow moving underwater enviroment.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    It wouldn't. Case in point: the bubble shield in Sonic 3. Instead of "oh fuck oh fuck air bubble" it was "oh fuck oh fuck don't get hit" THEN "oh fuck oh fuck air bubble". :P

9. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    QFT...

I was like that when I was younger. As soon as I got the bubble shield, I was like "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Dodge this, don't hit those spikes... FUCK! Landed on them! Bubble! Bubble! BUBBLE! Oh, for fuck's sake! BUBBLE!... damnit... I'm dead."

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    what's even worse is when you're standing there at the bubbles and they won't give you one. You die.. And then... The bubble floats up.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh, man, don't remind me.

12. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Its why, to this day, I normally take the high ground in Hydrocity.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hydrocity? I was thinking more in terms of Aquatic Ruin. ("Oh shit don't fall down to the bottom, try to spin dash up... fuck. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN. AIR BUBBLE! YES! GO GO GO GO GO. Oh shit, running out of air... ohshitohshitohshit! Yes! Air bubble! C'mon, only 4 seconds left, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon... 2 seconds... OH NO! And there it comes, finally. Fuck you, bubble.")

14. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    And I was thinking about SBZ3 - if you don't take the good route.

15. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    What about when Tails steals the bubble from you?

16. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Hehe yes, that sounds familiar. I think we all got fucked like that sooner or later.

17. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

DDDD=<

One of the main reasons why I decided to play as Sonic alone; of course, it was always fun to get a bubble shield and watch Tails drown. =3

Never really understood how goggles could keep you from drowning, but the idea Tweaker brought up about there possibly being a rippling effect where the goggles would clear that up seems interesting...

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That, or maybe they work like the goggles in Doom. Maybe the underwater palette was much darker than this, and the goggles allowed you to see something.
    Interestingly enough, if that's the case, SEGA would have been two years ahead than ID software, as Doom went out in 1993.

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    That's when Sonic smacks Tails around for being a little prick. Only time I really panicked while under water was CPz in Sonic 2, I would always have trouble at the spot where you would have to jump from one moving block to the next. Other zones never gave me a problem. So pretty much, Mega Muck kills. :(

20. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    I think of them as less "goggles" and more "stylized scuba mask"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.