don't click here

Glitches using Debug mode

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by theColombiano11, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How can Sonic use Tails' sprites?

2. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    I did something similar when I first got Sonic 3. I used my Action Replay to find the value of the current character selected in the first save game slot, then made a code to force that value past the end. The main difference between AR and GG is that AR can do RAM hacks, forcing an address in RAM to stay at a certain value. GG can only work by modifying the ROM.

I often like doing this trick to see if there are any 'hidden' options in the menus, or leftovers that never made it into the final game.
    That's how I first did the Knuckles in Sonic 3 glitch, and also discovered the three extra difficulty settings in Rocket Knight Adventures. Indeed, I also got the Sonic 3 and S&K level select that way, long before the codes were known!

Sadly, the AR has a tendency to wipe the SRAM of any game that's inserted - including Sonic 3. I somehow managed to get a successful save as Knuckles on my cart though, and played through the game to the end. When I got S3&K, the Sonic 3 saves showed up in the new game and I could start at Mushroom Hill as Knuckles!
    Something happened though... the day of S&K's release (I got my cart 2 days before its official release), my Sonic 3 SRAM got wiped. I wonder if there was some kind of timer in the cart to wipe the SRAM on the exact day S&K gets released? :wtf:

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Another glitch without debug:
    [​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You know, this topic would be twice as interesting if you guys included savestates to download.

5. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

[​IMG]
    Used Debug.
    [​IMG]
    Also with debug.
    By the way, what's a good site for file uploading? I have savestates for both glitches.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
  7. Robjoe

Robjoe

Savestates would be nice, but I'd rather know how these were done, so I could reproduce them myself. That's always more fun.

8. Interesting screens you have there.

As for a place to upload, I'd try http://1asphost.com/ - It lets you store up to around 100MB of space for files.

I'm interested to see your savestates. That top glitch looks unreal, hehe.

9. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    The only particularly interesting Debug glitches I've got involve Mecha Sonic.

1. Mecha Sonic in Metropolis EggMobile and Mecha Sonic at the same time.
    2. Mecha Sonic travelling through Sky Sanctuary Zone. (I beat him on one of the collapsing bridges)

10. Vangar

Vangar

Hmm... Interesting glitches. But do that mean anything, because really its just debug.

11. Well I'm more concerned about knowing what causes these glitches. Sure, debug mode has a direct contribution towards them, but what in debug exactly causes the error?

This is why, in my opinion, that savestates are good to accompany glitches. We can see how different the game is internally when these glitches occur.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A couple of these glitches I have done before, but I have never seen some of them. It's amazing how you can fuck around with S3&K. So much to do in that game.
    I'd post this glitch I once got, but I did it on SMC+ on my Xbox. Best I could do is take a picture with a camera, which I suppose I could do if people wanted me to. Anyways, it was a blue Knuckles. the Blue Knuckles had all of Knuckles moves but followed Sonic's level path. You life icon says Sonic. Beat the level it says Tails passed act whatever (1 or 2). There was no sign at the end of the level. Just a stick thing. Only thing that sucks is you can't beat some levels because he has knuckles bosses and sonic's level path, which means you can't reach some (AI ACT 2 Boss for example). You can oddly enough have two different palletes for hyper mode (one yellow, one flashing colors like hyper Sonic) and you turn red after the super mode goes away (But its pretty much just as strange even though you look red)

Oh ya, you also don't see the character in that slot machine mini game. Don't know what happens in a special stage though, because I had all the emeralds before I could do anything.

13. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

Savestate for the first one here.
    If you want to do it yourself, I have a tutorial below.

First, in SSZ1 move to the right until you get to the area that leads to the final MS fight.
    [​IMG]
    When you get here, don't go all the way to the right. Use debug mode to move up.
    [​IMG]
    Eventually, the background should glitch and both bosses will come in.

I think both bosses come in because you were close to activating MS, but then the game flings you to the second MS battle, causing both bosses to load at the same time.

The second one isn't as interesting, it's just that copy level that you can enter if you go really high and move past the boss using debug.

14. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    I am going to do this with knuckles, tails, and blue knuckles to see what happens.

15. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

I don't think being a different character would matter. Tails and Sonic normally go through that zone, and when you use debug to get Knuckles into it it loads normally without any glitches.

16. Rail Road

Rail Road

There is a glitch in hidden palace (S2B) that I found using debug. First you have to place a whole bunch of vertical alignments of rings inbetween the two waterfalls at the beginng.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the life icon.

Now use debug to go into the water and sonic will be a different platlette.
    [​IMG]

This glitch can sometimes make sonic look really cool.

You can obtain the savestate here.

17. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Chaos Ghost has apparently never read up on the Ashura glitch.

18. Eclipse

Eclipse

Pending Member
    Canada
    For sonic using tails' sprites, I had a topic on it before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.