don't click here

Glitches using Debug mode

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by theColombiano11, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    The problem is with S3&K, not S3.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    When it's alone suppodsely it must crash rather than do that, since it's trying to read non-existant data. Or was this bug introduced in S&K?

3. LocalH

LocalH

I think the bug was introduced with S&K, but it only occurs when S3 is locked on. I have never experienced this with any setup but S3&K.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hmm... Try doing this trick again for me. Once it resets to the S&K title screen, apply this patch code: FFFFFE10:0000.

This should force the current level/act to Angel Island Act 1. If you can access the level then, then my thoughts are right in them still being "connected," but not "combined."

If this fails and resets you to Mushroom Hill (or crashes, whichever comes first), then it's not. It makes me wonder why it couldn't still address that space, though.

5. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    The "second HCZ2" is unrelated to that glitch you mentioned. I've also seen that area, for some reason or another there is a horizontal loop of sorts. Most of the layering is broken too.

6. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    It's OK, then. Just got surprised because I never managed to crash the system (even Sonic 3 and any other Sonic -- and unluckily the only S&K version that I could find was the pirate one, so no lock-on for me without the emulator ;)).

7. Robjoe

Robjoe

I did that, and AIZ1 played as normal, until after Knuckles stole my emeralds. Then:

[​IMG]

And MHZ1's music began playing, too. I played on to the part where the mini-boss blows up the island. After the flames:

[​IMG]

I could move, but the screen was locked horizontally (but NOT vertically). I always wondered if it'd access S3 if forced to and now I know. Thanks for the code, Tweaker. :)

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ah, excellent!

If you want to fix the part after the flames, just change the patch from 0000 to 00. That way it won't constantly force Angel Island to stay in act 1, and you can proceed.

9. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I've had the reset bug happen to me too, but it reset to S3K, not SK, but that could be my memory failing me. I placed loads of S monitors on the MHZ2 boss and kept spindashing into them as fast as I could. Eventually the screen looked as though it was going backwards, and the pillar sprites got all garbled, and then it reset.

10. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    What's odd about the S&K reset is that it's not a proper soft reset. A proper soft reset would make S&K load up as if you'd just turned the console on. You can check for soft resets by loading the game up in a really old emulator (such as Genecyst) and doing whatever causes the game to reset.

If it's a fake reset, like S&K, it'll work fine with Genecyst. A proper soft reset will cause Genecyst to stop emulation with an error code. Example: Sonic Collection. After selecting a game, it changes the reset vector and makes the console do a soft reset - hence it won't work on Genecyst.

I'm not sure too much about changing the reset vector though, since most games have it hard-coded to a location in the ROM. Perhaps Sonic Compilation has a small subroutine at the reset vector which checks a RAM value, then boots up the relevant game. Example:
    Select Sonic 1 on title screen. RAM address is set to the value meaning Sonic 1. Then it soft-resets, the subroutine reads that value in RAM, and makes the game jump to the Sonic 1 boot area.

11. LocalH

LocalH

Well, I'm working on a non-scene video project right now (small documentary covering three specific attacks during the Vietnam War, for my uncle), but I'll look at it sometime tonight. It could also point the reset vector to a JMP instruction in RAM, which the menu then modifies to be correct for the selected game.

12. Flygon

Flygon

I would see if the spindash bug is in my windows version of sonic 3 and knuckles but it dosnt have an a b or c button, only rolling jump, arrows and pause that's not even have a proper game pause, it just makes a screen that's black saying press F3 to unpause, level select works though :)

EDIT: Removed accuall because I don't know how to spell it
    EDIT2: Thanks to telling me the debug mode for S3K PC sik, now ill see if the bug is in the windows version thanks.
    EDIT3: Sorry for all the edits but I don't have any joypads, If you mean the Mega Drive joy pads, they are all at my fathers house because he has the Mega Drive there.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Actually, I found that there is a way to use A, B and C in S3&K PC. I don't know if this only works in Debug Mode (accessed by hacking -- I didn't test it outside Debug Mode), but here is the key mapping:

Keypad 1 - A button
    Keypad 2 - B button
    Keypad 3 - C button

There you go. I managed to use the original debug mode (object placement) using that.

14. Assura the glitch

Assura the glitch

a computer glitch Pending Member
    TOP SECRET
    I found a code that lets you play as knuckles in sonic 3. All you have to do is go to level select and go through special stage one until you are knuckles. Play as Knuckles, then reset. Go to any level and you'll be playing as Knuckles.
    Unfortunately, I was NEVER able to complete the level. I Will put a screenshot as soon as I figure out how to get one.

Edit: I stand corrected. I got to the end but... no boss.... or bridge.... and Knuckles was behind the waterfall!
    Ice cap zone+Knuckles= odd.

15. LocalH

LocalH

You can also use Knuckles in Sonic 3 by using these GG/PAR codes that I made:

00C4E2:0003 = ASCA-AAHC
    00C4F4:7003 = ASCA-BA9Y

This modifies the bounds for the data select screen, allowing you to choose Knuckles (03). This effect is also retained in SRAM, meaning that if you start a saveable game as Knuckles and get to a point where the game saves, then you'll always have Knuckles in that save slot unless you erase it.

16. Assura the glitch

Assura the glitch

a computer glitch Pending Member
    TOP SECRET
    And here's something else that's odd {Non glitch}.
    Hidden palace zones bridges from sonic 2= Ice cap zones bridges

17. Yes, that one is pretty much common knowledge; in fact, I am pretty sure that it is on the site.

Edit: Ah, a short search has turned up nothing; it appears that this information is not on the website. However, it is still common knowledge that the bridges from S2Beta Hidden Palace are very similar to the bridges from Ice Cap. Most things that can be discovered just by looking at the game without hacking or debug mode have already been found, as well as many things that only require debug mode to find.

Perhaps if you start digging more and look into ROM hacking you can find something that we don't know about yet!

18. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    [​IMG]

PS: sorry for a file as big as this one, it was a last moment screenshot.

EDIT: made it a link since Sepwich is sucky these days :)
    EDIT2: sorry, it was me XD

19. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    here are some more glitches, but some without the use of debug.

[​IMG]
    ^
    I forgot how it became like this.

[​IMG]

^
    used with debug

the next three photos occured randomly and without the use of debug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the timer appears like that (0:00) because I disabled it.

20. Robjoe

Robjoe

The whole "Sonic using Tails' sprites" thing I've done before, but those other two are just plain fuycked. I especially wanna know what was happening in that special stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.