don't click here

Getting Ubuntu to work on a thinkpad T42.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    My friend's laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42) died off but he wants to know if he can get his data off it so he asked me to take a look. After going through my normal windows solutions without any results a good friend and techincal guru told me over WLM to try installing USB ubuntu as an alternate solution. What the hell I'll give it a shot even though I don't know crap about linux.

So I downloaded the latest netbook edition followed the intructions on the site and got ubuntu installed on my pendrive. When I boot up the computer with the pendrive in starts loading and installing ubuntu but then it just hangs on a screen similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    Found out that pressing one of the F# keys brings up the loading process screen and this is the result:
    [​IMG]

So what did I do wrong? like I said I don't know crap about linux or the way it works (windows user through and through) so I don't need any "lolfag u did it wrong" posts. Thanks for the help.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    1. Nobody calls it WLM.
    2. Have you tried using a CD?
    3. T42 isn't a netbook, so why would you use the Netbook Edition?

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    1. Actually I call it WLMSN but I figured no one would know what I ment.
    2. No not yet. I only saw USB options but I could've overlooked it.
    3. ...because I was told to? :specialed: I knew something didn't seem right but I was told that the netbook edition was the laptop edition as well. Please point me to the version I'm supposed to be using.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The netbook edition is slimmed down and has a different style designed for netbooks due to their constraints (such as screen size). You can however run the normal version on there.

The main version is available here.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thanks.

Is it possiable to burn with CDburnerXP or do I have to use their reccommend tools?

*brb 1 hour 5 minutes 30 seconds*

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Any ISO burner would do the job.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    OK! Managed to get it working:
    [​IMG]

This HDD is about to go! but maybe I can still save his data (lol only 2.1GBs guess he doesnt use it for other then surfing) Now, in Ubuntu, How would I go about getting someone's data off this failing drive? I have a external HDD (500GB) and a 2GB pendrive I can use.

8. RamiroR

RamiroR

It's quite intuitive, just copy and paste? It should recognize the external HDD easily.
    Good luck.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Its not that simple to me anyways.

this is nothing like windows at all. I have no idea where anything is or how to access it. is there somekind of program on there that will allot me to transfer stuff from the dead HDD to the USB/EHDD?

10. dsrb

dsrb

Look in the folder /dev. Your HD(s) will be there. If you look at your last screenshot again, you'll see the one about to fail is /dev/sda. Any other discs you plug in will appear in /dev, as sdb, etc. For copying, Linux may be different, but it can still copy/paste and drag/drop files.

11. RamiroR

RamiroR

Ah, useful to say that there are no C: D: etc etc drives,
    just see what is on the "Places" menu.

Going to the /dev/ folder won't quite help, you can't access the files from there, you have to first "mount" it. (Just going to the Places menu, and selecting the volume you want to access will do it automatically.)

12. dsrb

dsrb

Oops, thanks for correcting! I think it's obvious that my foray into Linux didn't last very long. :v:

13. tuddy

tuddy

Best way to get the data off would be as follows -
    Mount the hard drive (places menu, click on the hard drive itself), and a nautilus window showing the root of the drive (the C:\ or what have you) will appear. Select everything you want as usual (assuming you just want the documents folder, navigate to it and copy; simple as).
    Mount your USB drive (just plug it in to a spare USB port and a nautilus window should pop up automatically) then paste everything onto that drive.

Nautilus is very similar to Windows Explorer if all you're gonna do is copy and paste files between two drives, so this should be easy enough.