don't click here

Gens/GS r7_pre5 - Preview Release

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Jul 28, 2009.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    This. VMware works with 98SE, but for some reason VMware is failing hard (crashes with SIGABRT). Additionally, VirtualBox and QEMU/KVM just don't like 9x in general.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fair enough. =P

3. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    I dunno. I have at least seven Win98SE VMs floating around in VMware and two in VirtualBox that work extremely well....

4. Flygon

Flygon

There is no substitute for quality, or better put, A VM will never run as well as the actual operating system itself.

Granted, I don't know all the aspects about it, but some things will break a VM that won't an OS, and vice versa.

5. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Do you use a different hq2x implementation to the one in the Fusion plugin? Because I swear that games look nicer under hq2x through Gens/GS than through Fusion.

Overall, I'm really enjoying Gens/GS atm. Any chance you could implement a fastforward function (like with pressing Backspace on Fusion)? Would help me get through the same sequences much faster when I'm testing out certain games a lot.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I'm using the original hq2x implementation (asm version) from the hq2x website (which is unfortunately down :( ).

Fast Forward is technically implemented already, but it requires VSync to be disabled. To use it, press and hold down F1. (Yeah, not the best key choice. I'll implement key remapping later.) Sometime later I'll have it automatically disable VSync, but that causes issues on the Linux version with OpenGL right now.

7. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

I think you mean F4, surely? That makes it speed up anyway. Also, it seems to work even with VSync enabled.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    F4 changes the frameskip value. Frameskipping on Windows is broken, since instead of skipping frames, it just makes the whole thing run too fast. (It works properly on Linux.)

F1 is the Fast Forward key.

9. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Well that's strange. F1 didn't even do anything for me. :-P And VSync is disabled as well.

10. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

And I think there's a bug with the Mega CD support as well - it seemed to get confused by an ISO/WAV/CUE set and wouldn't display anything. Not sure if this is a longstanding Gens problem or not.

Speaking of Gens, and sorry if you've been asked this already before, but does being based on a fairly old emulator mean it can be difficult to implement more recent fixes and code seen in other emus (e.g. SVP support, certain 32X games working etc)?

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    CUE sheets and ISO/WAV aren't currently supported.

Implementing SVP and improving 32X isn't necessarily "hard", but I need to fix up a lot of the stuff first. Also, I don't know of any GPL-licensed SVP emulators, so I'd have to reimplement it myself.

12. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware about the GPL thing myself. Bit of a shame, really.

BTW, in case you didn't see the other post, F1 doesn't work for me.

13. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Something I always missed in Gens was a function to change the volume of the music. It should be simple, a TrackBar or something.

Edit: 200 posts, w00t!

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    I'm planning on adding audio support to a future version of the MDP plugin specification, which will allow for a mixer plugin. This will allow adjustment of each channel individually, in addition to a master volume control.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    So, where the fuck is the plugin directory on the Linux version?

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    There's two: /usr/lib/mdp/ for system plugins (or /usr/local/lib/mdp/ if you installed it in /usr/local/), and ~/.gens/plugins/ for user plugins. The user plugin directory is scanned first (if it exists).