don't click here

Gens/GS r7 S2HD Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I lol'd.

Sonic 2 HD - putting the Marching Squares Algorithm out of business. Manually.

Edit: It uses more than 500 MB of RAM!!

2. I never could figure out how to make GENs work...

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Remember, it's HD, so it needs lots of memory! See the minimum and recommended system requirements in the first post.

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Hoyl shit this runs sooo fast onn my pee cee

the bright thing is reeeally awesome and the hd effects make the game much more awesom!!!!!!!!

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    c/p from SSRG:

Adding some kind of a sun and anti-alaising? Does this really count as High definition? =P

Nice job though. ;)

Oh and also, I lol'd at the requirements. It worked just fine on my old crap.

6. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    This is way better than Sonic 2 HD and I am completely serious.

7. What, no faithfully remastered music?
    Had to use frame skip to get it at a playable speed, but it actually looked pretty sweet, for the most part. But I did have to go download clean ROMs, which was a pest D:

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Now we need a custom version of S2MP3TOOL for this =D.

9. You know Gerbil, this could actually have some potential here to be even more awesome. Having an emulator to improve certain games isn't a half-bad idea.

I love that sepia Metropolis.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Slightly offtopic, but I've been wanting to make a new S2MusicTool for a while, possibly using WinAmp. But I would need to know how the original works. Then we could have one that would work for any emulator.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    It works by modifying process memory, which requires having special hacks for each emulator revision. I'm planning on possibly making an S2MP3 plugin for a future version of the MDP plugin specification, which is used in the upcoming Gens/GS r7.

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Making an emulator which supported both .mp3 format music and a high-res 'reskin' of the graphics in Sonic 2 was an early suggestion for Sonic2HD, which I was pretty supportive of; such an emulator could be easily modified to provide high-res reskins of other games; and I pretty much still am.

What of it, GerbilSoft? :)

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Oh, I thought it just hacked the game, not the emulator. If it was just hacking the game, it would be easy enough to provide a base address to work from (like the Rings address).

14. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Wow, this is absolutely outstanding, excellent work!

On a more serious note, I must admit, it took me a few minutes to realize what was the actual point of this =P

15. The audio team is working as we speak to find the perfect dying cat to use as the lead instrument for the new music.

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

Plus they are also planning a couple of ways to get the perfect screeching as a backing track.

17. I have figured out how to make Gens work.

But the game runs SO SLOW...unless I turn off the music. Then it runs fine.

Why is that?

18. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    mac port plz

But, uh, yeah. This is great.

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Unfortunately, Macintoshes are not capable of HD, so I can't port Gens/GS r7 S2HD Edition to the Macintosh platform.

20. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    I downloaded the emulator, and a rom of Sonic 2, yet when I attempt to play it, it won't work (it says it will only work with Sonic 2 or Knuckles in Sonic 2), even though it is a plain simple rom of Sonic 2! What gives? It's a BIN file, and the file size is 1 MB. Does the emulator hate me?