don't click here

Genocide City Zone - why no accuracy?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by TheLazenby, Aug 13, 2013.

1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby

Here's a gripe/question I've always had....

Now that we know what Genocide City was going to entail, has ANY hack actually bothered to do it? Every Genocide City I've seen, even in more modern hacks, was *way* off - I haven't seen a single one that used the Metropolis Zone 3 layout and The Machine music.

I mean, imagine a combination of those two with the Cyber City graphics from "Sonic 2 Lost Worlds" - that would be incredible.

2. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Sonic 2 Long Version by Sonic Hachelle-Bee.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I thought that was a dystopian city type design (I think it was also made before the design plans for the zone were revealed).

4. Wouldn't it pretty much just be a recolour of Act 3 of Metropolis with a more silvery look? At least that's what I gained from the design pictures shown.

5. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    It would just be Metropolis 3 redecorated to look like The Machine. Didn't someone make a mockup of this?

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Yeah, I remember one of my friends on Skype telling me the whole layout of Act 3 was already in one of the betas. Seems to me they scrapped the whole idea and moved on with Metropolis pretty quickly. If the zone was meant to look a lot like the Machine, as Billy mentions, then visually, it would have been an unnecessary clone of similar ideas and gimmicks in Metropolis Zone.

Although I have to admit, Genocide City in Sonic 2 Long was kinda bland; very dry and didn't do much that was new, as far as I can remember. (Dust Hill Zone is mentally stressful in that hack, so I haven't touched Long version in forever.) Filled a much needed novelty for me, but nothing beyond that.

EDIT : Because I'm a derp.

7. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    I was going to do that once, but then my hack mostly ended up going in a different direction. Now I plan to make more of a city-oriented level.

Metropolis Zone Act 3 was in the Simon Wai prototype, but it was almost entirely different in every regard, hence the parallelogram lifts that didn't work very well and never made it into the final game. Honestly, I think some information was left out of the story, and the real information that they didn't like the Act 3 they already had, and they replaced it with the world-have been Cyber-City Zone, and I feel this may be evidenced by the existence of the name Genocide City Zone being in the level select still, and the fact that it's a completely empty zone; no work at all had been done it yet, and act 3 of MTZ has it's own layout.

However, after typing it, I realize that having both MTZ Act 3 and CCZ would be seemingly redundant.. Maybe Cyber City had already been forgotten by the Wai beta, and the MTZ Act 3 that was there was already bound to get replaced?

If anything I said was misinformed, feel free to rage at me in up to three different languages, this is just my take on it until proven wrong.