don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In other news

https://segaretro.org/Template_talk:RegionLockTable

I go through phases. Right now I'm in the mood to take screenshots of region lockout screens. Don't judge me.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  3. Hm, is there a list of games missing the Region Coding data, or perhaps a list of all games and a list of games *with* Region Coding data to make a simple enough checklist of what needs done? I can't promise the world here as most of my free time away from work is taken up by other hobbies and I obviously can't work on the project at work, but I may be able to knock some of these out.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Every Mega Drive game will need its own "region coding" sub-page. By doing it in this way, I can generate a big database that reliably documents how games respond in certain regions.

Then I can use wiki magic to generate a list of region-locked games. Or games not optimised for PAL territories. Or games which break horribly. Currently all lists on the internet are incomplete and probably wrong.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hacked together a quick list of all the pages that need to be made (and a few that don't):

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Retro:Todo/Region_coding

This is why I'm keen to spread the work. I've been writing some placeholders, essentially based on ROMs I've collected over the years, but I have no desire to personally download and test 35794783924832 bin files. It needs brute forcing by volunteers.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This may be of help when documenting the behavior of the PAL ROMs when used on NTSC systems.

Would be still neat to have 60hz patches for all the PAL official releases, by the way.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    What do we do about unlicensed Taiwanese games? Are they supposed to run on PAL or NTSC consoles?

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Whatever the emulator selects first I guess. Taiwan is an NTSC region so I would guess most were designed with NTSC-J in mind.

I've been listing every region for games that GoodGen marks as WORLD, but I haven't thought very far ahead for the more awkward titles. I'm not totally convinced the system I've invented is great, but it's better than no system at all.

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I did a few pages. I'm doing it by eye/ear, so while some are obvious, I'm unsure about others. Gley Lancer sounds like it might be PAL friendly (not sure why it would be though), but it's hard to tell.

I made a category for region lock screens so we don't upload duplicates: https://segaretro.org/Category:Region_lock_screenshots

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    An interesting example of why this is important:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Mega Drive port of Crack Down was published by Sage's Creation in the US, despite it being a Sega game at heart. Japanese screenshot on the left, US version on the right (which is apparently what PAL regions got too but do verify this).

But if you run the Japanese ROM on a US (or PAL) system:

[​IMG]

...you get an extra trademark.

So this is technically a title screen that you couldn't see under normal circumstances. And because the change is so minor, you can bet it has never been documented before.

At some point we'll have to work the legal situation behind the logo. The earliest Mega Drive games use the registered trademark symbol (®) in all regions, but at some point they stopped doing that, sticking ™ in Western copies and leaving Japanese logos without any mark at all. Except for when they forgot.

Oh and yes this does affect Sonic games. It even affects games that were never released in Japan. And at some point, some lucky lad is going to have to go through and take screenshots of aaaaallll of them.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Mega Drive region coding
    (the lists will grow)

This is what this exercise is working towards - a definitive set of lists for everything ever.

Currently the award for most entertaining region lock screen goes to...

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker, which plays silly sound effects.

Second is Cool Spot because Spot yawns.

It's a low bar.

(p.s. I refuse to believe me and Hivebrain are the only people with emulators on their PCs (hint hint))

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've not got time right now to explicitly go through and start doing these (maybe in the near future, we'll see) but I'll note that Mickey Mania (J) has a fun one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This stuff isn't limited to cartridges, by the way. Some Mega-CD games also change their title screens when the system's country lock is disabled, so... that's quite a lot of additional games to test. =|

I feel that this may get some better traction in its own topic.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Was there even a way to change the region of your system when that game was released?

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    To my knowledge, no - maybe some cheat devices?

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Adding a switch to the console is relatively simple, but I don't know how long ago people were doing it.

There's also these: https://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_region_converter_cartridges

17. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    There was to versions of this console... the rarest of the two versions had a 50Hz/60Hz switch on the underside of the unit to force games to run at different speeds...

18. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I fitted switches to my first Mega Drive in about 1992, after seeing a tutorial on which jumpers to cut/solder in a magazine called "Electric Brain" - Which was an elevated fanzine printed on newsprint that got national distribution in the UK for a while.

So yeah... The knowledge on how to do it has been out there a long time.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fact of the day:
    [​IMG]
    Takashi Yuda, who among many other things designed Knuckles the Echidna, stuck his name on Quackshot's title screen. It's at the bottom of the map, right above the credits to Walt Disney, which you would think would have a handle on these things.

oops

20. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    So, the more I get through translating the flyer for Sparkling Corner, the more I'm convinced... this might be the first four-player arcade video game. The only comparable things I see from that time are based on computer mainframes.

However, I want to make sure that's a valid claim. Any idea if there's anything else competing around 1976 or earlier for that title?