don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I think that the angled buildings are a bit un-Sonic-like, if not un-Genesis-like. I think it would be a good idea to make buildings similar to those in the original, but make them layered to the extent of the concept background, with haze and all.

2. zemulii

zemulii

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Just more layers, more depth, more haze. Afterall, HD does need more detail to keep things interesting.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I believe the industrial part is supposed to end with the greenish/golden constructions, and that there's an actual city behind, just like the one depicted in the background subsubstantive posted.

Note how there's no factories in there, just tall buildings reflecting all the lights that come from both the industry and the city where they are.

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    You two are wrong. The buildings in Sonic 2 are ugly. That's not even an opinion.

Subsubstantive, keep up the good work, dat shit's looking mighty fine. Be sure to add more and more layers/details.

5. zemulii

zemulii

Oh I didn't mean exactly like they are in the Genesis version :P. I agree, they are rather ugly. And boring. I mean... like the buildings in substantive's image, with all their intricacies, but each "layer"... "flattened out" just a bit. And I really mean just a *little bit*, as they're already pretty layered looking (just to separate them out a bit, for a strong parallax effect). But at the same time, giving it more depth... between layers (and having more layers). If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Also, I'm all for a slightly (SLIGHTLY) brighter, more colourful sky (you'd think all those lights would light up the sky a little afterall...).

Notice the angle of the buildings in the original though. Like they're towering up over you. Sort of ominous. The way they blend into the night sky at the top too. These little things that help set the mood.

But then I suppose that angle would also make it difficult to see too many extra layers in behind... Unless the buildings became taller, the further back they were... I kind of like the idea of enormously tall buildings far off in the distance, barely visible behind the haze to give a sense of awe and wonder. Obviously there's a lot to consider.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Let me be very, very clear on something. Complaining about the backgrounds becoming angled, or any other changes seen in a concept that could enhance the look of the stage is idiocy. The idea is a great one, but by the same hand it's the first concept we're looking to base the backgrounds on. So coming down on little things like that in it is flat out pointless. Stop looking at the things that you don't like with it, and come up with things that will improve it. This is how the concept process around here needs to be adjusted.

7. zemulii

zemulii

EDIT: Actually scratch that... I agree with you (assuming you're talking about all the whining).

8. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Now what about that industrial area in Star Wars Episode II? That would be an interesting direction.

9. You mean like this? I think it's more commercial than industrial, but still good.

[​IMG]

10. zemulii

zemulii

Interesting, but the other one clearly fits in better.

11. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Sorry for not reading the post properly...

Anyway, I had a though; It might be an idea to get some photography of a real night time city scape, and edit it, to use for the background. Here's some edited photos of scapes from New York and Boston, respectively (as well as the original):
    [​IMG]

12. That looks pretty good Andeed, very similar to the oringal. Now I don't know if I prefer a contemporary or futurist aesthetic...
    [Edit]

Just quickly threw the foreground onto your BG. It looks like crap, not that the concept isn't a good idea, though. As such, this is pretty much useless. But worth a gander...
    [​IMG]

13. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Yeah, it's more for the concept than the quality of the image.

14. ancara

ancara

While we're on the subject of CPZ....

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=294730z&s=4
    [​IMG]

I tried to do my own take on those basic CPZ pipes. I didn't do the liquid in the pipes (that I'm sure can be done afterwards), but for about the most part, it should be done'd.

It'll most likely not end up being the final product, but I wanted to at least give it a try. Hopefully I was able to do at least decently here. :3

(also, staring at very light grey shades for several hours is NOT good for your eyes. ;_; )

15. BaXter

BaXter

Employed at KickAss Corp.
    This one is great for the top background. The colors of building and lights office are almost the same in the stage, but the palette is maybe... a bit too high.

So I have a preference for the first Andeed picture. A bit dark, but could create a different atmosphere in the stage. And another advantage, The WATER : we have just find a nice effect with the green palette.

An hard work. Why not try for pipelines a neon effect like the Maximus creation? I'm just wondering if this option is approve how will becoming the pipeline badniks... You see, those stranges "blue bubble warm" unfortunately only in the Zone 1.

16. dsrb

dsrb

lolwut, I'm afraid if you spent hours on that, you may want to reprioritise your time. [obligatory emoticon]
    What did you do, just slightly round off the edges of the enlarged pixels?

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    This is a WIP from me a while ago, but now I notice a lot of mistakes in it.
    [​IMG]

But we shouldn't be talking about this stuff. I know it's getting boring here, but the next zone remains Hill Top.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is more like it. The original background didn't have futuristic buildings, just a modern city, probably based on similar landscapes to the one you just posted.

Again, I think it's important to try to convey what the devs had in mind back then, and try to think of the references they based their graphics on.

19. I no longer see a point in holding off on discussions regarding another zone, what is the alternative? We have already discussed at length several of the sprites from HTZ and got very little response from the staff. Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one am tired of rambling on about the same objects. The concepts have been put forth; hopefully it helps the staff come to a conclusion about what they want.

I agree with ICEknight, it is important to convey what the original creators had in mind. Of course, that is still a subjective process left open to interpretation, and in some instances I do think it is alright to disregard what may have been intended if the ends justify the means, such as with the Chopper. I personally think a hybrid of the two is suitable, at least until I can see an outstanding rendition which favors one over the other.

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Well while the topic of the CPZ cityscape is still on the table, I just found something that may be useful to a certain few of you. Now if you would be so kind not to bash me on giving something that is completely useless, it would be most appreciated. I know very little about PS, as I've always used Paint.NET.
    Cityscape Brush?
    EDIT: Scratch that; MDM, don't you have some uber 3D skills that would make quick work of this discussion?
    EDIT 2:Also, wasn't it discussed that this zone would benefit from the art being made in pre-rendered 3D, instead of hand drawn, or hand drawing the 3D result? I missed the end of that one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.