don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I don't think the slits bend in too much...I mean, it IS an organic object, right? Randomization is a welcome feature in my eyes. I love the animation, too, it's great! The only thing that kinda gets me, though, is the fact that the tree leaves are swaying in the wind and stuff, but none of the grass or flowers are. That's just me REALLY nitpicking, though, and I would not at all be bothered by it, really. That does leave me with the question, though: will other stuff be swaying as well?

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Swaying, no, but they do have improved animations. The animations on the palm were specifically done to draw just enough attention to it to give a, "Oh cool, that wasn't there before" effect; that's a big part of the whole experience we're aiming for.

3. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Anyone else get a hankering for green jello?
    [​IMG]

4. zemulii

zemulii

Oh, of course. But if it stood out to a lot of us, then that says to me that it's not quite right. I can sort of see what it's trying to do... but it looks more like it's stretching out than bending/swaying (as if it were made of rubber... or jelly or something). Not like it's a big deal, but it's worth pointing out on the off chance the artists hadn't already noticed (unlikely considering the amount of time that would have been spent staring at it).

5. Bradley

Bradley

The Radioactive Dinosaur Member
    Scenic Middle of Nowhere, Ohio
    The Mega Man 18-2 Project Soundtrack
    Did anyone else find the base of the leaves on the tree a bit distracting? They wave around too much.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

We considered just throwing this up as a changelog, but decided people would feel mildly let down if we didn't include a few more details. I mean, really, who would believe our inspiration to be so obvious?

S2HD: Just add water.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    From the boss screen shot it looks like every tree has this animation, and they are all synced. Wouldn't it look better if they weren't synced? Obviously I haven't seen it yet, but I think it'd look kinda odd will them all animating exactly the same as each other.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It would be nice if, at first, none of them were moving and then, once in a random number of seconds, they started waving in sequence from the right to the left, and then stopped in sequence too. As if there were just small currents of air.

They might indeed look a bit too distracting if they were moving all the time. Nice animation, by the way.

9. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Or when you run (and jump) past them?

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Am I the only one who thinks the leaves move more like tentacles on some weird creature than leaves?

Also, surely if the leaves are moving by that much those coconuts wouldn't be so stable either.

11. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Coconuts are firmly attached to the tree trunk, they wouldn't move with a slight breeze like that.

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Cinossu: looks that way!

We've already gone and made slight adjustments to Sonic based on feedback received here, so if we need to refine the animation speed I won't dismiss the possibility.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Why not just have the tree leaves move if Sonic brushes past them?

Seems a bit strange to have them constantly jiggle... though having said that, the flowers are always moving so it's not a massive deal.

14. zemulii

zemulii

I's rather it look a bit odd than look lifeless.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I think Black Squirrel is on about them looking odd with them moving constantly at the same rate and trying to give a solution for a more natural flow by saying they could move when you run passed them.

I would like the leaves to move independently from each other, jingle randomly at different speeds. It would be something to really admire while your soaking up the artwork in the game, especially if there were a load of palm trees jingling on the screen at once.

16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Just give the trees different timings. At best, I believe you have enough animation frames to allow them to slow down or speed u a bit every so often, but you don't have to in my opinion and I couldn't ask for anything more than that.

17. zemulii

zemulii

I know, and I think that would result in a pretty lifeless environment if we applied that sort of thinking to everything. Especially when you're standing still in game. I don't think statue trees would look any more natural (especially near the sea). Don't try and tell me the original artists were going for ultra realism... ... and like he then went on to point out - take a look at the flowers. I think we can use a bit of creative license to spruce things up. Watch a cartoon - take note of how many things would be completely illogical in real life, but in the context of the cartoon... no one cares.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    They're not going for ultra realism, they're going for enhanced detail. To that end, I think trees that sway in the breeze accomplish that task beautifully. However...all of them swaying at the same time in the same frames of animation? That'd just look gaudy. It's okay for small things like flower bunches and such but...big ass trees swaying in sync? Nah. They can all move at the same time, but not in the same frames of animation.

19. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

The trees won't all be in perfect sync, we already have a randomization element to offset them.

20. zemulii

zemulii

Ah, perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.