don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Where does it say that? when I hover over your little icon, it just says "S2HD Contributor"

2. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    "This member contributed a final, accepted product into the Sonic 2 HD Community Project."

The description holds little value anymore since now even staff's finalized artwork is never finalized. And a member's can't contribute any 'products' INTO the project.
    Maybe when they figure out what they are doing with the forums in the community section they will iron that out.

Edit: @Growler: Its in the profile page of a person who has the icon. Its the achievements tab.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    May I query a specific (yet small) suggestion regarding the title screen? Even though I can see you are sort of following through with this design choice throughout S2HD's entirety, one thing bothers me about Sonic's head: the spikes' seperation from the head. It almost looks as if you guys are intending to make Sonic look like he has the western-style mohawk, with how you can see the circular shape of Sonic's head as well as the spikes.

Is there any specific reasoning why you are keeping it this way? After all, you guys said you'd be keeping to the Japanese artwork which never featured this (although it was in S2's sprites). I don't have all too much of a problem with it in the long run, but the spike<>head seperation is just a pet peeve of mine. ^^;

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    @ The Growler
    Go on my/someone's User Page > Achivements > there is a short description under each one's title.

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Thanks Sonica.

I would've thought that ideas for it are just as important as the artwork (which is kind've irrelevant now, as MaximusDM pointed out) - to get their creative juices going?

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Since I have nothing better to do right now, I watched the trailer a couple more times.

Pleeeease make a corkscrew running animation, it would be useful for Corkscrews and the Mesh tubes in Mz.

Seeing Sonic just swap from Run > Walk > Run is annoying, and even if it was for a later release it'd still be a nice addition.

EDIT: AAgh not character topic...
    EDIT: Aagh I post too much... no more posting for a day methinks.

7. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada

This. This right here.

Canned Karma calls us out for discussing something that, while may be trivial, is still part of the project, and then DIRECTLY AFTER the guy who's doing it says thanks for the (probably a little over the top) critique he's getting, to give him ideas and potentially improve the piece.

I'm getting mixed signals here.

What are we supposed to do? Are we not supposed to discuss anything at all, or are we going to get a guideline of what's nitpicking and what's "valuable critique"?

8. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Personally, I think they should do as I say BECAUSE I AM GOD! MERRRRR >:D

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I do think they should give us some particular area to work on so that our efforts actually go into something of use. I know the alpha is right around the corner, and so the team efforts are mostly on that, but obviously we AREN'T working on the alpha so we can start generating valid ideas and concepts that could accelerate another zone or feature when the team starts working on it...

9. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    You know, I can't even comment on this because I don't know if Chimpo is still serious about the community jab threat.

Edit: So yeah, it's essentially just waiting for CK to explain to us what's going to happen from now on before we can actually "do" anything.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The fact that you're even having to reference his threat instead of moving on with exactly what Andeed suggested is a massive part of why it's a problem in the first place. And 'mixed signals'? We've said for a long, long time now that the art you're seeing is what we'll be putting in the alpha. After the alpha is released, we'll be taking into consideration what it said about it to see where appropriate changes should be made. That doesn't mean the floodgates open for everyone commenting on it to believe we'll be overhauling things, as they're set in their designs now, but like scanline said (and Cerulean Nights recently proved with his tweak of Sonic's ear per ICEknight's suggestion), we're not saying, 'Things are 100% done, period'. Not much point to there being a discussion about the project at all if that were the case.

11. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    Your post before on the nitpicking on the hand came off as pretty "stop bickering about this, we have artists". That doesn't seem very "we'll be taking it into consideration".

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Fair enough, but don't ignore what I said about Chimpo's threat - that is much moreso the kind of complaining that keeps getting things bogged down here.

What's nitpicking? Taking a polished asset and saying that something should be moved a few pixels over; taking personal preference in opposition to a current asset with nothing to back it up in the way of reference to the established art direction and making a personal crusade of it; both of these are prime examples that have come up over and over again over the project's lifespan.

13. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    There we go, nice explanation. I appreciate you writing that out for me, thank you.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Let's just clean this up for those still confused.

My threat is not against all complaints. I'm only keeping an eye on anyone that pops in here and makes a "hurf durf "Community!" LOL!" joke. I don't care about the nit picks or whatever, but if your contribution is a jab and only a jab, then I suggest you leave the thread.

15. zemulii

zemulii

Okay, so now that I've finally got a chance to explain myself...

Note: This is NOT a community jab - simply an explanation of where this all came from. So read it properly...
    Because not too long ago there was a lot of drama that resulted in talks with the site admins and that supposedly there would be changes around here (whatever they may have been).

But I waited, and I waited and nothing seemed to come of it, and all you'd say was that "nothing has changed". I PMed Tweaker (BEFORE I got into this) to check what the deal was, but no reply (to this day...). Not only that but I also asked here on the forums, what was going on. But of course my post was lost amongst all the "wow pretty!" posts at the time. So how was I (or anyone else for that matter) supposed to know that the talks were still ongoing and that things were still being worked out? So surely you can understand my confusion and desire to get things cleared up.

This is what comes from lack of communication and openness (with those who actually care about more than getting their grubby little paws on a playable alpha!). So if you want to avoid these quite unnecessary dramas in the future, I urge you to just give a straight forward, honest, respectful and informative answer in the first place. An answer like you finally gave just recently - all in one post I learned that there were no plans for a guide, the reasons for that, and that the "talks" are still ongoing.

(Right here I'd like to make it clear that I'm not expecting a massive change of direction to come from these talks - just hopefully more clarity)
    Just remember that asking nicely many times didn't get me a single response. Just answer me next time and I won't bother you (see above)...

However now I can see that for the foreseeable future I am practically useless to the project (at least until the alpha is out and we can focus more on concepts for new zones). This means I won't be wasting my time getting into anything serious. So thank god for that. I have to thank you for your surprisingly reasonable answer. But it's only a half hearted thank you at best... I'm kind of over the way you treat us.
    Okay, no problem. But give me a little warning next time yeah?
    That's not a very specific warning. I PMed Tweaker before getting into this and he never replied. So I had no idea we weren't allowed to talk about that...

EDIT: I don't know if this "Warn: 20%" thing was there before, but I surely didn't notice it at the time. And thanks for helping me get an answer to my question.

Anyway, to sum that all up... Great! Thanks for clearing things up a bit. I'm happy enough to live with that. Sure I don't agree entirely on the way things are being run... but a little clarity and honesty goes a long way. Lets hope for more in future.

16. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    If I may ask, what else has been changed since our first glimpse of the new version? Just out of curiosity.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    You know what, these stages when no one posts for a couple of days, are the perfect time for Change Logs or updates. + - Hint, hint... Nudge, nudge...  

So right now I'm just waiting for the next one.

18. Jebusman

Jebusman

Canada
    I don't think we'll be getting change logs or updates until we get that explanation from Canned Karma on how stuff is going to go down from now on. I take it they're still trying to figure that out.

Edit: I didn't even notice the Hint Hint Nudge Nudge until I quoted it lol.

19. zemulii

zemulii

I've got a bad memory... someone said most of Hill Top Zone has been done now right? I'd love to see some of that!

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

You're right about the changelogs, and we've got another one for you right here:

<iframe src="http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/images/visualchangelogtails.png" height="1000" width="1200" scrollable="no"></iframe>

As for how things are going to change, I don't have any updates to give yet. There's still things going on that I don't have all the information for yet.

OL Edit: Fixed your post! You forgot the closing iframe tag =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.