don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Regarding what was actually shown. Is feedback wanted? Like for example, the background, to me, seems to be too sky blue-ish. Perhaps it should be a bit darker than Sonic, as not to blend together. The added clouds also feel a bit crowded and out of place.

What bothers me more than anything is that this is still trying to be called a community project when it is clearly not.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    This wasn't suppose to be a 6 man project.

It became a 6 man project because of decisions that went against the original spirit of the project.

3. Flare

Flare

Also might I add it does look like whole thing now has a gradient overlay, I know some individual elements don't however when some elements come together including the sky, the trees and some other parts (Sonic's shading looks really weird and less reminds me of Sonic 2's style), and I thought that yous were trying to sidestep the look of everything having a gradient. I did actually prefer when everything had less shading on everything.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    No, I like it.

But I do want to know is what happened to Sonic? Looks like he was airbrushed. I'm not complaining, but that's not just the 'UBER' shades there. Is it?

5. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Wow, what did I just watch? It looks like the graphics are practically the same thing as the original. Where's the variety? Oh right, everyone is obsessed for god knows what reason to recreat the graphics exactly as the original.

I guess I already knew it would look pretty boring considering I've witnessed all the nitpicking at getting every detail exactly the same as the original for the past two or however long years now, though. I'm sure in the end it will still be interesting enough, but you can't deny the end result, considering I've seen the original game millions of times in my life by now, is pretty underwhelming. HD graphics that tried to spice it up a bit would have been a better choice. I feel like I'm looking at the original graphics just drawn in flash and made bigger.

6. Flare

Flare

Well thats what I'm meaning, the "uber shading" was fine because it thinned out the hard shading of the shadows however it seems to have taken another step further which seemed unnecessary.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Actually, I think there is quite a bit of variety.

Diamond in the trees, the small flowers (redrawn from mine) are now floppy and stuff...

Anyway, I don't agree with
    I only felt like that at the first tech-demo times.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    At least the trailer was longer than that short SHZ reveal. :v:

Also, can we seriously quit calling this a community project? I've read a few posts by S2HD contributors that their work was wasted because only work by the S2HD staff actually got in? What's the fucking point in that? You still have people who are interested in this project and you don't have much to show? There's a fucking reason why people give this project a load of shit, regardless if it's because of the game engine, forced resolutions or spending months to draw a tree.

So if you set a deadline, you should have met it. This reveal was supposed to involve something huge, yet it's a skimpy trailer on YouTube with short gameplay? You know what you could have done? You could have revealed the entire Act 1. Surely you would have finished that by now?

If this game is supposed to be a community project, then the locks and chains should be loosened. Why is LOst being overprotective over his coding? There was criticism over the fact that this was a Windows-only game and although versions for Linux and Mac were discussed, they'll be Wine wrappers, right?

If you are going to constantly disappoint everyone with your progress, then you'll just lose more followers. I don't tread in this forum because not a lot interests me in there, but if I want to talk about something, I'll talk. This project might have survived longer than Project: Sonic Retro, but if major mistakes aren't resolved, it'll just crash and burn and the only HD Sonic they'd get is that final boss mock-up and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

That is all.

9. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Unless I'm recalling wrong, I remember awhile ago that the focus of the project was recreating Sonic 2 with the "artist's original intent" in mind. If that's anything to go by, I'd say they're doing just that. Look at some Sonic art from the era Sonic 2 came from, like Sonic the Screensaver or that bonus image supplied with the PC version of Sonic 3&K, and compare that to the title-screen and shading style of the game.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'll keep this short otherwise I'll rant on for ages. Disappointed it's just a trailer and screens as opposed to something playable, but very much liking what I'm seeing so far. Art-wise it looks fantastic, particularly in the full-res versions of the screenshots on the site. Robotnik, the Badniks and the small animals in particular capture the look of the Japanese promotional art very well, as does the gorgeous-looking title screen - the addition of the Death Egg in the top-right corner is a very nice touch.

Couple of very minor art critiques, though:

- The layout of the text on the title screen could do with a little shifting - specifically shifting "THE HEDGEHOG" to the left a little and making the 2 bigger. Sonic CD did exactly this on its' title screen - mostly to avoid the logo being read as "SONIC CD THE HEDGEHOG" rather than "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG CD". The Sonic 2 HD title screen could also do with the same adjustments to avoid it being read as "SONIC 2 THE HEDGEHOG HD".
    - There's some weird blending going on on the title screen where the ribbon overlaps Tails.
    - Sonic's eyes could do with being a little more 'surprised' looking on his hurt animation - this image shows what I mean perfectly. Look at the eyes on the surprised face, second from the top-left. The hurt animation needs that level of expressiveness in the eyes, IMO.
    - You might want to consider having separate left-facing and right-facing graphics for Robotnik's Eggmobile; the mirrored "EG" logo on his chair when travelling left-to-right is painfully obvious in the screenshot that's been released, especially when viewed full-res.

Also loving the extra animation you can see on a lot of things in the trailer, such as Coconuts' tail-swishing and turning animations and, of course, Sonic himself. One question to staff - are the character images on the title screen fully-animated as in the original game, or just a static image?

Hopefully the actual Alpha Release isn't too far away! = )

11. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Again, I'm not saying this is a flawless project, and I understand Tweaker's grudges towards it. This has been going on for 2... 3 years now? He doesn't want to see it get ruined by a couple guys, I can stand behind that. I'm just saying this is a chance Sonic fans can show we are people who are able to talk mature for once in a while. There needs to be no yelling out or calling names, just honest criticism like McAleeCh just did. This isn't SEGA, the people behind it don't get paid. These are just fans wanting to bring a decent Sonic tribute.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Crit:
    [​IMG]

That looks odd. You might want to make it look like some grass is overlapping the monitors or something to make it look more natural.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You're a fucking idiot if a legitimate concern about project management and hierarchy on the part of the administration hosting the website is your supposed basis for Jim Sterling's baseless conjecture about the "Sonic fanbase." If any group of people are "ungrown manchildren," it's people like him and you who think you can misinterpret passionate reactions to certain events—which, for the record, are in no way objectively bad—as being irrevocably pissant and whiny for no reason other than that they feel more strongly about something than you.

Fucking cry more. There has not been a single bit of unwarranted criticism of what has happened here today. You have offered absolutely nothing with this post but a pointless and instigating rant with absolutely no basis or feasible goal in mind. Try doing something a little more original than just bitching about a supposedly "horrible" group you have more than consciously decided to be a member of. You are not an exception to the hypocritical criticism you so eagerly spout.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    While I can appreciate the hard work that has gone into the art, especially since the art was completely overhauled, I much preferred the art direction the last tech demo had. It wasn't perfect but I felt it was more true to the core of the original style, mainly Sonic. Some areas look very plastic (springs) and some of the shading looks out of place (Coconuts look on the red and silver clash in my mind, I much preferred Elratauru last attempt). The new animations of Sonic look slick but for some reason it gives an effect that he has floppy toes, kinda like elf shoes with bells on. I've got to say the flower animations are top notch, they bounce and spin like they got some great weight behind them. As for the new special stage music, it has lost it's bounce with using that bassline. Sorry Scuba and Tee Loops but try and skip the need to always use real life instruments because of the modern age. I'm a bassline whore for those raw sounds in music and the absence of them just makes the rest of the track sound flat without them. They were so characteristic to the Sonic games that it just seems a bad move to leave them out.

I am gutted that there is no alpha and it does sound that I'm being over critical, but this project still has my full support and will all the way through because this would all still be a dream if it wasn't for a devoted staff. Just don't do anymore hype and release stuff when it's ready.

15. test-object

test-object

Did I insult you? Did I throw a hissyfit? No, in fact, I even said I could agree with you on some levels. Take a bloody pill and calm down. No matter how intelligent your written speech may look like, in its core, you're just an admin insulting a simple user.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Boredom
    [​IMG]
    Only 11 frames out of the 16, but oh well.

Anyway:
    I think people keep repeating the same thing over again. Like
    Do we really need to do any more?

17. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

So, hey.

Are you using your new fancy logo or the old-ass Sonic 2 logo in this game?

Maybe you guys should decide.

Else then that, I'm glad that this project is looking better then it did before but I'm also with the general consensus that this is some Sonic 4 PR-type shit. Whatever, if anything gets out at all I'm glad.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So your argument is that the tone with which I make a point somehow affects the validity of it? Cause if that's the case, you calling people a bunch of "ungrown manchildren" totally destroys yours. Stop being such a hypocrite; read your own goddamn posts and think about how offensive they might seem before you go around trying to criticize other peoples'.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Are people not allowed to express their opinions now because someone has already said it? (I forgot the thought police still lurked around here).

20. test-object

test-object

I... am dumbfounded at how completely irrelevant anything in this post is. I am merely calling the board out to be calm about this all and you, the one who should give an example of all people, is having a fight with a forum-goer that only wishes for this project to be successful. You're the only one making a fuss right now. Take a break and get some air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.