don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Well thank you Nineko, I appreciate it! :( I'll upload it tonight.

I'm seeing some good plans being made for the project, keep it up guys! I'll jump in and do some planning as well but I have to take off to work right now and shall return tonight.

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Hmm... I kinda came up with a possible storyline. However it features some concepts which still haven't been discussed, but for now I'll post it:

" One day, Sonic and Tails heard some rumors about Badnicks appearance on a lone island in the Endless Sea called Sunshine Island. Of course this means that Eggman is causing troubles again, so the 2 of them decide to go there. Upon their arrival, missiles launched from the deepest part of the island hit the Tornado and the 2 heroes crash the near the shoreline. Sonic and Tails finds themselves in the "Tropical Zones", and here are confronted by Eggman. They both chase him throught the various Zones. Night come, and finally they reach his base, but... something is wrong. Even if badnicks seems to come out of the base, the base seems abandoned, if not ruined. But since Eggman went inside, the 2 of them enter the base and reach its core. Here they find Eggman, but as soon as they approach its revealed that the Eggman they followed up to this point was only an Egg-Robo (this part happens only if Sonic and Tails collected all the Emeralds, otherwise this Eggman is not fake, and upon defeating him the game ends). Suddenly, Sonic and Tails are trapped inside this room and are attacked by 2 Silver Sonic (one looks like an upgraded vesion of the Genesis one, while the other looks like an upgraded version of the Master System one). The 2 defeats the Silver Sonic Twins and escape from the room.

In the meanwhile, on Angel Island, a lone shadow is seen entering inside the Master Emerald shrine. This shadow is Nack. He places a strange mechanism on the Emerald and activates it. The Emerald sparks in a weird way and Angel Island starts to tremble. Knuckles, who was walking normally through the island jungle is surprised by this earthquake (earthquakes are not normal on a flying island), and decides to reach the shrine to see if there are some troubles. But as soon as he begin to move, he is attacked by badnicks, which are commanded by a Metal Sonic (who kinda looks like the S&K one, so I'll call him Mecha Sonic for now). Night come, and he battle his way throught the Zones and, beleaving Mecha Sonic was the responsible for the tremors, defeats him. But after the battle, after looking at the stars, he notices that the island not only is slowly falling, but its also moving. Nack, in the meanwhile, steal the Master Emerald and hides it. The weird mechanism on top of the Master Emerald is what is causing the island movements. The Emerald start to shine in a very weird way, like if the energies inside it are starting to be instable. This instability causes the Super Emeralds, who were putted in the shrine after the events in S3K, to revert to Chaos Emeralds and to disappear inside the Special Stage (this is why Sonic finds the Emeralds on Sunshine Island). When Nack returns to the shrine he is surprised by Knuckles, who, noticing the disappearance of the ME, start chasing Nack. Nack manages to escape using the same flying ship he used to reach AI. But knuckles too manages to get inside the ship.

Sonic and Tails find the source of the Badnicks, a Badnick factory hidden underground, but still no trace of Eggman. They then spot Nack's ship approaching and suddenly Eggman true plan is revealed: Eggman face appear on the Moon, and the Moon starts to move. Eggman turned the Moon in his own space base! But why AI was attacked? And why Sonic and Tails were trapped on Sunshine Island.
    The reason is simple. After losing against Sonic and the others many times in the past, Eggman decided that he needed to change approach. First, he planned to trasform the moon in a space battleship, but this plan required time, and most importantly, the energy needed to move something so big like the Moon could be provided only by the Master Emerald. Also, Sonic is known for stopping his plans before he manages to even complete them. So Eggman decides to do something different this time. First, he lure Sonic and Tails on Sunshine Island and traps them here (by destroying the Tornado, and by trapping them using the 2 Silver Sonic) He then hires Nack, so that he can infiltrate AI and steal the ME, but only after he placed the mechanism used to control the island on top of it, hiding it somewhere where Knuckles can't see it. To help Nack in his way, he sends Mecha Sonic against Knuckles. He also predicted that, if Knuckles defeated Mecha Sonic, he would have attacked Nack, since he stealed the Emerald. But his victory became complete only when Knuckels went inside the ship he gave to Nack. Now Angel Island is completely unguarded and he can steal the Emerald with ease.

Knuckles finally catchs up with Nack, but before the 2 of them start to fight Metal Sonic (the CD/Chaotix one) attack the ship. Eggman always planned to betray Nack as soon he completed his objective. Knuckles and Nack escape from the ship and land on Sunshine Island. Nack decides to make Eggman pay for having betrayed him. Luckily he foreseed this possibility, and he hided a jet ski on this same Island. Knuckles catchs up with Sonic and Tails, and explain the situation. Tails understand the reason why Eggman moved AI: Since he needed the ME for moving something big like the Moon, he moved AI exactly down the Moon, so that he could have reached it with a rocket in little time. Now it's dawn, and they have only time until night. Luckily for them there is still a hope, Tails and Knuckles must immidiately reach the Tornado and repair it, and Sonic must turn into Super Sonic and fly up to AI, who is now on the water level and not much away from Sunshine Island

But Nack was listening to their conversations, and before Sonic trasforms he attack him and steals the Emeralds from him. The Emeralds should have been its payement for the "job", so he took'em and quickly makes it's way to his jet ski. Sonic start to chase him and manage to damage the jet ski before Nack gets away. But Nack still manages to reach the sea and starts to move in the direction of Angel Island. Sonic uses one of the pieces he riped away from Nack's jet ski as a rocket surfboard and, before Nack arrives at AI, attacks and defeats him. After Nack Jet ski explodes Nack flies in AI'jungle and the Emeralds fall on the beach. The Emeralds react to AI and returns to the shrine, turning again in greyed out Super Emeralds. But this is not a problem, since Sonic managed to get on AI.

After Tails and Knuckles arrives on AI, the trio meets Eggman, this time the true one. But he had a backup plan: Tricking Sonic and the others into thinking that he is heading in the place were the Emerald is hidden, he brings them away from the ME, traveling through various zones, while Metal Sonic already recovered the Emerald (since the mechanism on top of it acted as a tracker). After Metal Sonic brings the Emerald to the launch base, he attacks Sonic, Tails and Knuckles inside the shrine. If the heroes restored all of the Super Emeralds, after the battle Metal Sonic absorbs the power of the Emeralds and turns in a new form, not based on any past design. After a hard battle night come again, but before the rocket with the Emarald fly away they manage to sneak in it.

Finally, they reach the final Zone, the Egg Moon, and defeats Eggman. However the mechanism Nack putted on the ME causes a chain reaction after the battle and the Emerald start to ignite. If not all of the Super Emeralds have been restored, the reaction is unstoppable and the three manages to escape, using an emergency escape pod, just a moment before the ME explodes (bad ending: the Emerald explodes together with the Moon). But if the Emeralds have been restored Sonic absorbs the ME energy and turns into Hyper Sonic. In this form he chases Eggman, who escaped on the Moon surface, and finally defeats him once and for all. Tails uses the base energies to bring the Moon in its original place, and then seals the base. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles safely returns to Angel Island: The Master Emerald returns to its place, theSuper Emeralds are safe, Angel Island returns in the sky, and peace is once again restored in the world. Sonic and Tails board the Tornado and leave Angel Island, looking forward to their next adventure

But... What happened to Nack and Eggman?
    The last scene show Eggman crashing on AI in a pretty damaged Egg-Pod. When the Egg-Pod crashes he is bumped out on the ground, then he rises his face and sees that Nack is standing in front of him with a very angry look on his face. After the credits roll we see Eggman in the background who is escaping from Nack, who desire to show him "gratitude" for having almost killed him

The End."

As you can see, this story was ispired by the "Death Egg Saga", and it can be considered a direct sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's why I added both MD Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic to the story, since they both appear in the games with the Death Egg. The story itself is structured like a 2 part game (just like S3K). I also added Nack and Metal Sonic, because it was decided to put them in the game. I know Nack is not the mid-boss of the first act in any Zone because it could have limited its role in the storyline. Why MS Silver Sonic? Well, in no Sonic games 2 Metal Sonic fought the characters togheter, and in this way Sonic and Tails fight 2 different version of the Same character.
    But the biggest question is: Why Knuckles starts on a different island than Sonic and Tails? This is not an easy answer, but the reason is because I don't see any reasons for Knuckles to start on Sunshine Island, since he should be on Angel Island all the time. I know that may seem weird, but I believe that Knuckles may have a different first set of Zone than Sonic and Tails.

But enough of this, the post is already long enough. What do you think about this story?

3. Rokkan

Rokkan

Eh, I think it's just way too much story for something that must be a whole lot more simple. Overly complex. Plus why Nack has to be the exact replacement of Sonic 3's Knuckles in the game? I'll come up with a quick modification of your idea:
    Sonic and Tails decides to fly with the Tornado because Eggman seems to be messing around on Angel Island. The Tornado gets shot down and falls into the island where the game is set. Meanwhile, Knuckles feels this strange earthquake in Angel Island and decides to go to the Emerald shrine. Eggman seems to be "packing" the Emeralds into a strange capsule, and then he uses their power, and the capsule explodes and the Emeralds spread around the world. A bigger quake occours and Knuckles falls from the Island as some pieces of the Island also falls.
    As Sonic and Tails progresses and try to save the island which is also in the dominion of Eggman, they come into a landed Eggman flying ship, and when they're about to destroy the core of it, Eggman appears with Amy kidnapped. Sonic and Tails hesitate, and just when Eggman is about to finish them, Knuckles appears and throws a rock at Eggman, which reveals being the Eggrobo. While distracted, Sonic and Tails frees Amy and attacks him. Eggrobo then escapes with Knuckles in his tail, and spawns two Mecha Sonics (or Silver Sonics) at Sonic and Tails. After defeating them, Metal Sonic appears and do that powerful dash from Sonic CD, destroying both Mecha Sonics and making you fall towards deeper parts of the ship, which is now flying off the Island.
    The ship lands at Angel Island, which is now an "Eggmanland" kind of thing (Cosmic City Zone) due to Eggman, using the Emeralds powers (remember, they react to emotions, and Eggman is a maniac who wants his own city and empire) to transform the Angel Island into his own fortress and utopia. The last Zone would be after Cosmic City, into the very core of the Island, which is a huge factory mixed up with a Hidden Palace kind of cave, with some of the parts being windows made of glass that you can see the starry sky of the background. The last two bosses would be Metal Sonic and a giant Eggman robot. There would be a Doomsday kind of Zone as well, being at the very dawn, with a purple-ish sky. Super Sonic would fight against Metal Sonic and the giant Eggman robot teamed up in a battle a little above the ocean. At the background you could see both Islands. After beating the shit out of them, generic Tornado ending. However, you would only reach this stage if you collected all Emeralds and defeated Fang every time (by doing that, you'll retrieve the Master Emerald, which he stole from Eggman; there would be a special cutscene showing him stealing the Master Emerald from him and escaping) (some of the times that you confront Fang are obligatory, but others you must explore the stage to do so), also, at the last Zone, Act 3 would be changed into a more menacing and difficult one if you do those things right.
    About Knuckles, his last Zones are the same of Sonic and Tails, but instead of battling Metal Sonic and Eggman, he would battle a strong machine controlled by Eggrobo.

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I admit the story seems long, but in the end it is not something like "100 hours long epic story". Yeah, there is some back story, but this can be said also for S3K. However the true story is pretty simple:
    The usual Island attacked by the badnicks, the usual "Sonic & Tails to the rescue". The main difference is that Eggman this time tricked Sonic and trapped him in the wrong place, a place where he has no interest in. But apart from this it's still the usual Sonic story.
    And about Nack, I know that he does seem a Knuckles replacement, but this it is not fully true (Nack role is not to obstacolate the characters during the game. This role, considering my storyline, could suit more with the Metal Sonic group. Even if Nack steals the Master Emerald for Eggman, his role do not end here, and if you read my post you probably know that Nack is the main villain of the middle part of the story. Also, even if Eggman betrayed him, he still doesn't allies with Sonic and the others, but actually manages to cause them even more troubles, since he steal the Chaos Emeralds and Sonic must chase him, even if the heroes know that they have little time to waste. This storyline opens some possibilities for having a playable Nack with his own storyline).

Also, I know that I missed Amy, but this is a point I want to explain after, so first:
    The story is interesting and simple, but, if you allow me, some parts could have some improvements.
    First: I have no problem with Amy appearing in the game (hell, if someone comes up with some unique concepts for her I wouldn't mind to have her playable either), however, she really appears out of nowhere. Yes, the role of the damsel in distress really fits Amy, but she could still have a better role. Also, what happens to her after the heroes free her? In my view, this part could go like this: Amy could be Eggman's backup plan to prevent Sonic to reach his final base (being it my Egg Moon, or your Eggmanland, which, by the way, is really an awesome idea). Let's say Eggman sends Metal Sonic to kidnap Amy. When Sonic and Tails defeats the fake Eggman and the Silver Sonic Twins, inside the underground Badnick factory, in some kind of monitor room, one of the monitors show Metal Sonic and the kidnapped Amy (there could be 2 story options behind this: 1, Eggman wants to keep Sonic away using Amy as a hostage or, 2, Metal Sonic kidnapped Amy by is own will in attemp to lure Sonic). If we follow my storyline (but this can be also said for your storyline) Sonic still doesn't know the true Eggman's plan, and so goes to save Amy. But in the end this too is discovered to be a decoy for keeping Sonic away from Eggman's base (Amy could actually be the reason Sonic goes to Sunshine Island, instead of a lame Badnick invasion).
    Second: definetely, Nack is perfect for the role of the Master Emerald stealer, but why does he steal the Emerald? Just because he wants it? Or because Eggman hired him to do this? And why Eggman, expecially if he turns Angel Island into his base, let Nack steal the Emerald for himself, instead of using it to power up Eggmanland? I know that a lot of people want Nack to be just a mid-boss/secret boss, but I believe this is a little unfair, because it basically kills any possible storyline for him.

But before going on with any possible storyline there is something I must ask to the Project Leaders:
    Are the Splith Paths still programmed to be in this project? And if yes, how far will they go? As a pratical example, let's say the player find a splith path and goes to a different Zone than the normal one: will the following zones be changed too? Could this brings to another final Zone, and so to a different ending?
    I'm asking this because this could bring some interesting concepts to our game (replayability could be enhanced by this, since, even if you finish the game with a character, you could still replay it to discover a new ending or similar things).

And a second question:
    The game must be setted up only in 1 island (the one were the game start), or can we have more than one (kinda like Angel Island or Eggmanland style of Island)? This question is more important than it seems, because all Sonic games' stories happen only on one Island, so making Sonic and the other to travel to different Island may be out of the Sonic canon.
    This brings one final question: How many Zones are going to be in this game? And with this I consider also the ones accesible from the splith paths or unique to some characters. I'm asking because my storyline (but since Rave's one follows a similar structure then probably this can be said for his one too) is pretty long, kinda like a S3K one for number of Zones (maybe even with 2/3 more Zones). And again, if Knuckles' first group of Zones is different than the Sonic & Tails' one, this brings the total number of Zones near 20, if not more. So have I gone too far?

Some of this questions are very important, and I'm not the only one who needs an answer.

5. Rokkan

Rokkan

My story was done pretty quick, I expected major flaws in it lol But that's just so that we could have a basis. Yeah, Amy could be kidnapped, or, Sonic and Tails are actually flying to the Island because Amy and Sonic are going to have a date (and a vacation as well, that's why Tails is with them). But the Tornado gets shoted down and they decide to investigate what the hell is happening on the island (as well as trying to find Amy) we could make an appearance of her Hovercraft parked/landed somewhere in the first level. And after they free Amy she could have a split storyline just like Knuckles, if she's a playable character.
    Also, isn't it clear why Fang/Nack wants the Emerald to himself? He's a greedy treasure hunter, just like he was in Sonic Triple Trouble, he wants the Emerald for money, and stealing from Eggman instead of being betrayed by him would make him even more badass. Also also, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was not only set on Angel Island. I do remember an arguing about all Sonic 3 (non "& Knuckles") zones with the exception of Angel Island Zone being all in another place that's not Angel Island. Or at least Ice Cap and Launch Base.

6. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    This will have special stages, will it not?

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

What kind of question is that? Of the fucking course there will be Special Stages, what the fuck. Why wouldn't we include Special Stages?

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Dude, chill the hell out—it was just a question. That's an extremely petty thing to jump someone for.

9. [redacted; I went to get food between posts and it was dealt with before I hit "reply"]

I do think that special stages are a good idea as nearly every Sonic game has had one. There were a few ideas in one of the other topics, but nothing concrete has been decided upon yet. Off the top of my head, I believe the current ideas out there include a plinko-like stage, a spinner-type stage, and a dartboard-based stage.

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

My bad, I actually didn't want to make the post look aggresive. Apologies.

11. Dark Phantron

Dark Phantron

Well, as for the idea of having four playable characters, I think the best format would Super Mario Bros 2's. The four characters had their own unique generic abilities (abilities that are useful most everywhere you go) and didn't have a clear 'this one is better than that one'. Atleast it didn't for me! :P

Super Mario Bros 2:

Mario - Balanced
    Peach - Flight (well, hover, but whatever)
    Toad - Power
    Luigi - Super Jump

Fortunately, the non-post S3&K characters can fit this format perfectly.

Sonic 4/Retro:

Sonic - Balanced
    Tails - Flight
    Knuckles - Power (with gliding and climbing of course)
    Nack/Fang - Super Jump (using his spring tail)

I think Fang could fit perfectly as a playable character. As for Fang having a gun, I can't think of how it could be incorporated with Sonic-like physics or control style. So instead, when you play as Fang there could simply be a starting cutscene with him (comically perhaps?) losing his gun. Since he's on his own side, he could simply be trying to steal the Chaos Emeralds from Robotnik, and like Knuckles in S&K, he could still be trying to obstruct Sonic & co's way and slow them down.

My problem with having Amy playable is that I don't think she has any unique generic ability that could be utilized everywhere in the game.

12. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    It's already been agreed that Fang won't be a playable character, but only be a (mid?)boss.

13. Dark Phantron

Dark Phantron

I was just saying if there was going to be a fourth character that Fang would make the most sense.

Still, this project hasn't really started, so nothing is final yet.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I still think a playable Fang would be a great idea, though -- and it would have to take place after the S/T/K game the way that Knuckles' did in Sonic 3.

Gun use though? It's iffy. I'd kinda like to see it be used to get through puzzles. Rather than his gun be the kind that fires bullets and bang-bang you're dead, I'd far rather see it fire out like a laser beam that can disable and/or move objects. Thus the game becomes very puzzle-heavy the way that, say, that flash Portal game was -- try to find ways to get Badniks to run into each other, move platforms around to get to different places, etc.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Playable Fang is a terrible idea.

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I think so too.

17. Rokkan

Rokkan

Personally, the one who would make the most sense would surely be Amy.
    Speaking of which, I think that she could make a major appearance. The only games in which she really had a decent space in the storyline (excluding the first Adventure), that was the psycothic, irritating, hedgehog-grabber new Amy, and that's sad. Because Amy in the old games had a feel of a cute innocent girl, and ever since Adventure 2, she's definately everything less that...

18. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Say, I know this might sound silly, but why not try to create a completely new character for this game? I think it would make perfect sense and fit along with the classic motif perfectly. In every old Sonic game, they added a new character every time they made a new one. Sonic 1 just had Sonic and Robotnik, Sonic CD added Amy and Metal Sonic, Sonic 2 added Tails, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles added Knuckles, obviously. Hell, maybe you could just include Fang as the "new" character, having him playable would be a great idea.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Stopped reading right here.

Why the hell would you guys want a 4th playable character? 3 is fine enough.

20. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Because the classic games added new characters too? I'm not saying I specifically want it, but it would make sense to have a new playable character for this game. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles is fine though.