don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Matwek

Matwek

I was always under the impression that the charge move for Knuckles was simply just an art redesign for the spin dash, other then that its identical in both they way it works and the execution of the move.

Edit: as for all this other stuff about "everyone else has this type of move there for the other character must have one of a similar style" at the risk of repeating myself, isn't really productive.
    Its exactly where sonic advance went wrong, some moves were usefull but then they went ahead and gave everyone the same amount of moves regardless, which resulted in a mass of half-arsed pointless moves. So far the wall jump and quick turn are the only useful moves, everything else just seems like an excuse to shoehorn something in just so everyone has an equal number of moves.

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    To me, all this discussion is SEGA's fault.
    Yes, Knuckles is strong, but that doesn't mean he is slow. Even when his gameplay changed in SA he was still fast. The only true difference with Sonic was his lower jump height. On a gameplay perspective he and Sonic had the same maximum speed.
    But from SA2 and onward Knuckles started to became more slower and more fighter oriented. I can understand why now others says he is not a speed characters.
    Besides, the reason why Tails and Knuckles don't have the Spindash in Sonic Advtenture is because that button is used for something else. But if you press it while running they will actually roll in a spindashesque way, just like Sonic.

And I too think the charge move needs some more differences. If it is going to be just a spindash recolour, then I prefer the spindash.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd say allowing Tails to attack while flying and allowing Knuckles to hit stuff while running without losing speed, would be somewhat useful.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I can't think of a single 2D Sonic title where Spindash has been a Sonic exclusive (in b4 someone points out one I've missed...). I'd keep that common to all 3.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I was mainly pointing out Peel-Out and Tail Spin.

And Jesus, what's with this list of moves.

We're keeping it simple, god damn.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    What Chimpo said, you guys are treating this like it's Sonic Heroes or something.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    We all agree that Robotnik is going to be called Robotnik and not Eggman, right? This poll clearly states that two thirds of the community like that name better, outnumbering Eggman by a whole lot.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I don't think it'll matter since there won't be text.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

What exactly is wrong with the super peel-out?

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Not a main series move, I guess...

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It was never used in the main games, only Sonic CD which was sort of a spinoff title.

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

I find the peel-out animation to be a lot more interesting than that of the spin-dash. I thought that maybe it could give you a bigger boost of speed than the spindash, yet leave you vulnerable and it would take longer to perform. It could send you farther and higher off ramps too. Anyway, the spin-dash is fine I suppose.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's worth noting that the 8bit titles have it, just for reference.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Because the Peel-Out is more broken than the Spin-Dash.

Scratch that, Spin-Dash is fine. Peel-Out is the only thing broken.

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Going a bit on a tangent, you could always create a "manual" for the wiki article (no it doesn't exist, maybe something could be written up about it though), even though it would probably alternate between Robotnik and Eggman.

16. Dr.__________

Provide a crayon with every copy of the game and you can write in your own name for our favourite hedgehog-hating scientist.

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    This. Now we've got this useless and overdiscussed issue out of the way, let's proceed.

In other words, Quick Turn and Wall Jump are the 2 single accepted moves. Chili Dog not included.
    Let's make this the final voting; the Knuckles Rhino Charge?

1) Replace the Spindash with Rhino Charge!
    2) Use Peel-Out controls!
    3) Fuck it.

EDIT A: (I vote 3)
    EDIT B: For clarification, the Spindash gets replaced.

18. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Why not make a temporary poll topic instead?
    1)

19. Amistat

Amistat

I vote 1 since it was my idea in the first place :)

Putting it on the Peel Out controls seems fruitless as it's identical to the spindash (I guess you wouldn't be able to damage things while charging the move...oh well, Sonic still can, so that solves that problem). Plus if we're trying to keep things as simple as possible then giving Knux spindash on down+a and spindash on up+a seems pretty pointless o.o

Unless the functionality of the charge was changed all together (I.e. it becomes identical to Peel Out, which I thought we were omitting anyway) but it'd have to be something worth including and would defeat the original point of the proposed rhino charge; that being that it's simply a characterful art change for Knux's spindash. If we can't allow ourselves to include changes like this then that's a real shame for the project.

For those who're thinking "Why changing it?" I say, "why not?" Obviously that doesn't apply to everything, lord no! But something like the rhino charge wouldn't damage either looks or gameplay. It detracts nothing from the game surely?

Unless someone wants to prove otherwise?

Anyway, that's my :words: done.

Edit: Wait, after re-reading option 1 it doesn't say what I thought it did; are we voting to replace the spindash with rhino charge, or visa versa? 1) Replace it with Spindash! makes it sound like we already decided on rhino charge and are now deciding to change it back to spindash. Just to clarify, which is it?
    I vote to keep rhino charge.

20. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    What? I voted 1) because I thought it means replacing the spindash with the rhino charge, too!
    Keep the rhino charge!